2008 smart fortwo Consumer Review: Stupid Car!

2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Review

passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3-cyl. 5-speed Automated Manual)

Stupid Car!
By clins on

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Had issues from almost day 1. Went through a small puddle during rain storm - caused the passenger seat airbag light to go on. Has never turned off. Barely touch the key while it's in ignition it will turn the engine off. Completely unsafe when you are driving. Had it happen a few times (dog touched it). Have repeated issue with the engine not wanting to go into gear, especially reverse. Don't want to even attempt to do a u-turn because it might not go into R and you are stuck in middle of road. Goes through phases. Works for a few weeks then it doesn't. Someone suggested rain might affect it. Battery dies often too. I live on an island & to ship it over costs $400. Have not seen dealer.

Favorite Features

Seat warmers are nice. Lots of leg room. I am almost 6' tall and have no issue. Can even fit my great dane in the passenger seat, or in the back if she curls up.

Suggested Improvements

This car is completely unsafe. Between not wanting to go into gear, the insane shifting it does, and the fact that tapping the key while in the ignition will shut it off, I am amazed there have not been lawsuits. Thought maybe it was just my car, but there are a few others on the island that have Smart Cars and most have had similar problems. Unfortunately the only other alternative here is a golf cart, and that doesn't keep you very warm in the winter.