2008 smart fortwo Consumer Review: smart is smart not dumb

2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Review

passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3-cyl. 5-speed Automated Manual)

smart is smart not dumb
By SB smart on

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I wrote this review after reading Karl on Cars' evaluation. He complained about the lack of a standard tach, no armrest, and the transmission. If you drive it in the city like you're supposed to, you won't need a tach if you leave it in auto mode. But the $120 I spent for one wasn't too bad. I don't miss the armrest because the Saabs I learned to drive on never had one. And after 2000 miles I've learned to drive it without the transmission lurching. Once you get used to it, it's an impressively fun car for around town and driving by yourself. It's got its faults, but I never drive it without a smile on my face. The naysayers just don't get it. Too bad.

Favorite Features

Quirky good looks inside and out, panoramic roof, paddle shifters, easy to park anywhere, good fuel economy, more fun to drive than a Fit, Yaris, or anything Korean.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission could be smoother (but it's not bad once you get used to it), the seats are too hard, and the standard stereo isn't impressive. And considering its size, the mpg should be a little better.