I hate this car so much...
By foxmajik on
2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)
I've had to take this car in for work more than my used '92 Mazda Protege. For various reasons, from plastic pieces falling off the interior to the air dam in the front snapping off and dragging on the freeway. The gas mileage is atrocious for a car this small (around 25 mpg). The transmission is a confused and nervous little curmudgeon that can't decide what gear it wants to be in when you're under 15 mph and keeps jumping back and forth between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Every time the gear shifts the car lurches back and lunges forward like I've slammed on the brakes. And this is normal for smart cars, every one I've been in does it, even after having the transmission firmware upgraded.
Favorite Features
The heated seats are nice.
Suggested Improvements
There's really no fixing this car, it's been scrapped and redesigned several times and they still haven't gotten it right. Driving this car is like driving one of those little plastic ride-ons they sold at Wal-mart when I was a kid. The build quality is seriously disappointing. The transmission is a joke. This is the only car I've ever driven where I've had to take it to the dealership several times because parts kept falling off. The air conditioner wheezes and puffs and can barely keep the tiny cabin cool when cranked to the max.