Used 2008 smart fortwo Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2008 smart fortwo Convertible

passion cabrio 1.0L 3-cyl. 5-speed Automated Manual - (58 reviews )

Little Red SmartCar (driving in MN)
By Pappy704

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I had never touched a Smart before getting my little red convertible. I am 6' 4" and was concerned about fitting in a little car. I was extremely pleased with the tremendous amount of room in the cabin. My knees comfortably fit under the dash. My wife had to laugh once she got in. The ride with the top open is fantastic. I was amazed with the headroom with the top closed. The mileage has been terrific in town where I regularly get 41 mpg. I had to chuckle with my first fill up of 3 gallons after my 1st 130 miles. The car drives well on the highway and over distances. My foot got a little heavy on a highway and I opened it up to 95. It's a great commuter car and a ball on the weekends

Favorite Features

The powered top is terrific. I leave the side bars up if it looks like rain and run with the top down. I can raise the roof with a touch of a button. The paddle shifters are nice for those times that you are in traffic and don't want to use the brake, or when you just want to have some fun.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like the turbo-diesel or the micro- hybrid engines to become available. Add firmware to the dash to calculate fuel economy. A brighter back light for the dash for those sunny days. A flip up rear view mirror would help to see over the back when the top is down.

A little EU in MN
By GWE

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After seeing the Smart in Europe for years, I was pleased when mine came (as an orphan car). I have never experienced less than 40 MPG in city and freeway driving. Poor Mileage. The upright seating is remarkable. Tested a Honda Fit, the seating was low and uncomfortable. Although not a high performance machine, it's very peppy even at freeway speeds. I was surprised at the space behind the seats with the two-way opening rear door lets you put even tall things in upright. Electric top is great, with windows up it has minimal wind whipping around. Very fun to drive. Can go anywhere without people with questions, one person followed me home to ask about it. (yes it was annoying)

Favorite Features

Mileage, convertible, comfortable seating, many of the same features as luxury cars IE: remote locks, heated seats, rain sensor wipers, GPS navigation, auto head lights, paddle shifting. It makes me smile!

Suggested Improvements

Cruise Control,Cruise Control,Cruise Control,Cruise Control and clothes hanger hooks. Put seat back adjuster on the outside of the seat instead of the inside. Commission for constantly explaining the car to so many people ! How about a Hybrid version with 100 MPG !

Fun for 2
By Dagmar A

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We have just got the fun car 10 days ago and a lot of heads turned. We park the car in the drive way and strangers came up to us and wanted to see the car so we showed them the fun car and let them sit in it and they were all surprised how big it is inside and the seats are comfortable they like the color ( red and black trim). When you take the fun car anywhere be ready for extra time because people want to know everything about it. I love to drive it and my husband does to. I think everyone should test drive one. Thanks dagmar

Suggested Improvements

wheel tilting would be great.

Great City Car
By ekaJ

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is a great city car parking in place where other drivers wouldn't dream of parking. It is fun to drive and drives great in the city. It isn't as much fun on the highway. It may look small but you forget that you are in a car that small when you are sitting in it. Overall the car is great.

Favorite Features

You get to park in small parking spots. The cool factor. Not many people have one.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Brilliant design and practicality!
By david wayne

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Drives great on the highway. Gas economy and driving capacity is under rated on car reviews. Averaging 44 mpg in town and speeds up when needed for highway traffic. Comfortable and luxurious inside and much more space than I expected for storage. Brilliant and well thought out design. Love that I will never get a dent on the plastic panels too.

Favorite Features

Automatic windshield wipers and heated leather seats, traction control, stereo and convertible roof designing is superb. Transmission is a dream.

Suggested Improvements

Add a bout 50 lbs to the front body for heavy winds. Pad the convertible roof a little more for sound. Add another power jack in back compartment. Make glove box bigger.