Used 2008 smart fortwo Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

passion cabrio 1.0L 3-cyl. 5-speed Automated Manual - (58 reviews )

The Start of Smart
By Kliegmite

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I first saw Smart in Rome. I was convinced that it would be hot in America. Now that I own the 'Americanized' version, it is clear - this car will be Hot in the USA. Solid, Reliable, Convenient, comfortable, practical, attractive, interesting, and it keeps up with the rest in a respectable way. Smart is here. Finally. A truly innovative car in the US market. Once it starts marketing to the young crowd - look out. It's the next fad. Beyond the VW.

Favorite Features

Solid construction, roomy interior, accessories far beyond the size. Performance of a Mercedes, packaged in a small footprint. An engineering award-winner.

Weekend transportation
By cablvr

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

It has been almost 2 weeks since I picked up the beast. Got about 42 MPG on the 1st tank, while showing a drop for the 2nd tank. Semi-auto tranny is somewhat abrupt. Engine is a bit noisy. Great highway stability at 50-65 MPH - did not feel any drift. Lots of questions about the make (manufacturer) from curiosity seekers. Wish I had handfuls of brochures to use as promotional tools.

Favorite Features

Fewer fuel station breaks; low purchase price; functional driver interface (very pedestrian but logical).

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control; GPS; built-in bluetooth; richer audio; iPod interface; Keyless go; online owner site; stronger horn.

Teeny Tiny, just my size
By ~T~

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my Smart Cabrio. I even get the "motor cycle" wave from passing cycles, Can you believe it? It handles well, the steering is tight and responsive. It is peppy, even going up hill with the AC on at full blast. I couldn't even get do that in my Jeep(V6) w/o some form of hesitation.My Mom calls it a "guy magnet" everywhere I go, they want to talk about the car.

Favorite Features

6 CD changer, heated leather seats, and the LOJACK, just in case someone picks it up and puts it in their pocket. Also they make have a "Tire and Rim" warranty that I think is a good deal.Mine is for 4 years, and they will replace damaged tires and rims at no cost, including towing to my dealer

Suggested Improvements

Like the other driver said a tilted wheel would be nice.

Big Fun - Micro Car
By shawna

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car handles well at any speed. Minimal noise and sturdy drive. Due to the lighter weight of this car, you may feel the wind during a VERY windy stormy day, but not while passing semi's. Feels like an average size car, taller than most sedans. Plenty of power and fun to drive. And get ready to make some friends at every stop light and gas station, I picked up SmartCar brochures to hand out! I always have enough room in the trunk area for grocery shopping.

Favorite Features

Cabriolet roof!

Suggested Improvements

none

Best car I ever had.
By DAVID WAYNE

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

You will not believe how this car gets better as you drive it. I now have 3,500 miles and it drives better, faster and gas is 47.5 per gallon in town and no problems with anything. Very comfortable on the road and roomy inside. Gear shifting in manual is flawless. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Convertible top, stereo, leather seats, everything.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank, i.e.; 10 gallons