Used 2008 smart fortwo Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2008 smart fortwo Convertible

passion cabrio 1.0L 3-cyl. 5-speed Automated Manual - (58 reviews )

Smart Fortwo Passion Cabriolet.
By T.E.Montecillo

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I received my new Smart Fortwo Passion Cabriolet on October 26,2008. It was a warm and sunny afternoon (for Michigan) On my drive home from the dealership I reached 82 MPH on the freeway and felt comfortable and safe. Once at home I felt like a celebrity as many people approached me to ask me about my new car. In fact wherever I go people stop me to ask about the car. I always tell them that the car handles well in every weather situation I have encountered so far, I have been averaging 35.9 MPG, And my commute to work is 19 miles. Also I work in downtown Detroit and finding parking can be difficult at times. However I have been able to park cheaply or even free on many occasions. SMART USA

Favorite Features

The heated leather seats. Powerful six CD AM/FM stereo with sub-woofer. Completely hands free power convertible top. Traction control and ABS make winter driving a safe thing. The automatic wipers are an absolute surprise!(because they work) I love this car!

Suggested Improvements

Optional cruise control would be very nice. A cargo net should be standard if not mandatory. Also a pile of Smart Car brochures should come with the car to hand out to adoring fans and other inquisitive types. I love this car!

Fun to have your arrival announced
By gitlaw

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Wherever you go, you can hear people announce your arrival ("Smart car!"). That aside, the car has unexpected power on the highway. This car, like a small dog, doesn't know it's small. Love the convertible top, though, which can open and close at any speed. Mercedes technology makes the car very quiet with the roof up compared to other convertibles (like the noisy Miata, for example). You get used to the upshift from 1st to 3rd, although my spouse prefers to use the paddle shifters for a smoother transition.

Favorite Features

Convertible top. Power on the highway. Surprising amount of room in the back for luggage or groceries.

Suggested Improvements

Needs cruise control.

the Helmet
By kdb

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We adapted an orphan and love it, we call it the helmet because we think it looks like a football helmet and we feel safe in it so it protects us like a helmet. My husband and I are neither one small people and we feel very comfortable in the car. The only thing that is sometimes uncomfortable is that people always stare. I feel like I am speeding all the time.

Favorite Features

It is a fun car to drive and economical at the same time. I also like the different choices for a convertible top. you can have a sun roof type, a semi convertible of if you remove the top sides you have a full convertible.

Suggested Improvements

nothing, I love it the way it is.

Gouged by dealer of love car
By Lexe Payne

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I find out after the fact that the dealer misrepresented the cost of accessories and pocketed a lot of extra money. The car is wonderful to drive and is extremely comfortable and easy to get in and out of. The quality of the car is extremely good considering the cost. It is the old VW bug mentality with a 20th century need for speed and room and comfort.

Favorite Features

Length, head room, gasoline mileage, quality construction, speed on highway, and of course the fun associated with a convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Gasoline door should be same color of car, need for arm rest between seats, window controls located too far back.

fatter tires
By william

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

love the car, mostly,except the jerking transmission, and the ROUGH ride. I think it need fatter tires to soften the ride over rough areas, like rail road crossings, and pot holes, etc. A speed control would be nice, too. Now take a look at the sun visors, too small & try turning them to the left, hmm, room inside is great,style is great, & I would love it more if the ride were smoother. I like the attention. Get one.

Favorite Features

the view, you can see out really well. steering is good. design get an A. the seats are very good. I like the horn.

Suggested Improvements

make the clock easy to set. an adjustable steering wheel. improve the transmission (a must) and BIGGER Tires, god it needs them, for sure.