Used 2008 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Lies and and verbal promises
By michael

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We were one of the first people (71/72nd) in Florida to buy this car 28 months ago. We bought the convertible with all the extras 24k total from the start we started having mechanical problems. We also bought an extended warranty $1400. Time after time the car was having to be towed and it wasn't just one thing. It was the shifter twice the engine twice the a/c and it goes on and on. The car is now broke and sitting in our yard with 30k miles. The warranty doesn't cover transporting the car after 24k. This was after a sales person assured us the if anything go wrong including the tires for 70k miles it will be towed and fixed at no cost.

I have one and the best day i will have in this car will be the day someone buys this junk from me and my wife.

send it back to Europe

Two Year Update
By Alan Griff

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After two years, the honeymoon is over, but the marriage is still good. I adapted to the fussy transmission. A relaxed driving style works wonders. The ride actually improved with time. Winter driving is okay, but winter parking after a snowstorm is painful because the smart is so light. In the Summer, the AC occasionally blows hot air or the fan stops, and this is after the fan was replaced, a popular warranty fix, I've been told. The driver side airbag cover popped a bit. Unsightly. But that's the extent of the bad stuff. Overall, the smart is still mostly a pleasure. I'm 5'9" weigh in the high 200s and the car is comfortable and easy to enter and exit. The ragtop of choice.

Price for a new convertible can't be beat. Parking space availability is glorious. Riding solo means plenty of cargo space. MPG is never under 30. No more getting stuck behind garbage trucks! Joy! Perfect size for the city. Love the rain sensor wipers and auto headlight.

30+ MPG is good, but I want more, especially with the premium fuel requirement. A CVT would be most welcome. HVAC controls feel flimsy. Cupholders and window switches placement are not quite close enough to hand. Speedometer is optimistic. Cruise control should be standard.

Smart Car - a Dissappointment
By Walter Martin

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very dissatisfied with our smart car. The transmission is a joke with very rough head snapping gear shifts, which, because there are five gears, seem to happen all the time in city driving. (At one point our transmission failed to be able to go into reverse. The merecedes dealership fixed this for no charge saying there were "thousands of smart cars with the same problem." If thats the case mercedes should do a recall and fix them all.) The suspension is rough with even minor bumps being uncomfortable. The car was so uncontrollable on ice that special winter tires had to be purchased for it. With the winter tires it is about the same as any car on ice with summer tires. Costly mistake

The fuel economy, while OK is no better than our old 4 door Toyota, which offered a lot greater convenience and capacity. Having to purchase Winter tires wiped out any possible financial savings by fuel economy. There is no spare and no jack making it unsuitable for road trips.

Fix the transmission - get rid of the useless paddle feature. Get a spare tire. Extra internal space would be useful.

Fun runabout!
By risean

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I find that I get over 40 MPG I have 24,000 miles on the car now and love it. It parks anywhere and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. The car is amazingly stable on the highway and has plenty of space for two and a weekends worth of gear and supplies. I love it and would buy another one.

gas mileage, drivability, built in safety features. amazingly fun.

I thought about this for a long time and these trivial things are really all i could come up with. The transmission software could be refined sometimes it has a mind of its own, also the sound system could be better, and the brakes pads are very dusty.

You will forever regret this!
By Robert_Kern

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have had my smart for just under 2 years now. At first it seemed perfect for New York. 150 Dollar Parking per month, fits in tight places, etc. Very quickly however did I find out what an unreliable, terrible little car this is. It has broken down multiple times due to computer errors, failing transmission, clutch, etc. It shakes everything lose on the car whenever you hit the slightest bump. Even a sewer lid produces a noisy thump and a jolt. The car shakes at highway speeds and now my roof is starting to crack. And where is smart? They don't want to have anything to do with the car, the service departments don't know very much about it, the customer service is horrific!

Shifter Paddles

It needs a complete quality overhaul. The Service behind is is below the worst brand you can think of. I am longing for a Hyundai.