2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
Driving a Smart Car
By Herb on 10/20/09 01:05 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The somewhat leisurely acceleration is expected and can be circumvented by flogging the engine in manual mode using the paddle shifters. Initial fuel economy was disappointing, but rapidly improved after putting "Sea-Foam" fuel system cleaner in the tank. Am now getting 38.5 mpg in city driving. The local Smart dealership was very friendly and reprogrammed the transmission to largely eliminate the 1-2 shift lag in my 2008 as part of a no-charge update to 2009 standards. This made a huge improvement in driveability! Highway stability in cross-winds is somewhat squirrely, but I had no trouble keeping it in the lane even when x-winds topped 35 mph on a fast causeway.

learn how to shift
By chip brady on 09/06/09 00:45 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I continue to read reviews with people complaining about the transmission! My wife and I each have a fortwo. Last month we drove it 2700 miles from seattle to Spearfish SD.It was terrific in the mountains.The paddle shifters work like a dream. We left our Cadillac at home and drove the smart car. If people will take the time to learn to shift the car it is the best transmission on the road today. We have been in the auto parts business for over 40 years and have had many different vehicles, but these are amazing. I have 15,000 miles on mine and it runs just like the day I bought it! The roominess inside continues to surprise people. More headroom than my cadillac.

My Rollercoaster Ride
By LouG on 08/22/09 16:48 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have owned this car for 9 months. I cant wait too get rid of it!!!! Yeah it's cute but it isn't all that it's made out too be. The gas mileage is good only if you drive like an old person, A car this small should get better MPG. The transmission is the worst, annoying, uncomfortable feeling I have ever exp, even with the trans software update. It is soooo annoying if you get stuck in traffic, Shifting from 1st to 2nd constantly up and down will make you want to vomit. This is the main reason I want too sell it. Gas gauge still wont read rt, even after 5 times back too the dealer, Mercedes should be ashamed to hsve there name linked too this car. THE LITTLE HERKY JERKY ROLLERCOASTER RIDE..

my daily driver
By smartdriver on 06/21/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After one year of ownership, I find I still look forward to my driving time in the smart fortwo. The car has peppy performance, and is quite comfortable, even on the long road trips. I find that I can accomplish 99% of my driving and cargo tasks with this excellent car. Initially, I had several of the "smart car gremlins" occur, but the dealership has performed admirably with all warranty work. Here in the desert, the climate can be extreme: the smart fortwo handles the cold, searing heat, wind, torrential rain, uv extreme sunlight, snow and ice very well indeed. I am looking forward to an all- electric smart in my future.

This is such a cool car~!
By D. Martin on 06/19/09 03:15 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I am a college student who wanted an inexpensive car to get to and from school. This car is so fun to drive, especially with the top rolled down. It gets many stares and many questions. I love everything about it! Obviously this car isn't for everyone. Some people need trucks for work, but for many people like me, this two-seater is perfect. It holds everything I need for my classes and squeezes into tight places when I'm on the hunt for parking. My family owns a Mini Cooper S, and although it leaves the Smart in the dust performance wise, the Smart, for me anyway, is much more entertaining to drive due to it's unique character. Don't expect to be an Indy 500 racer in this car.

2008 Cabriolet
By Barbara Robinson on 05/21/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love this car. Even though there is a jerky shift between 1st & 2nd gears, it's not that bad. The gas mileage has been great (38-45 mph). Most of my driving is around town but I have traveled on the highway. The space inside is surprisingly roomy. My husband and I are both tall and I have to pull the seat forward. The convertible allows you to fold partially or totally down. I like that feature.

Love My Smart Converitble
By Doublesmart on 04/12/09 18:11 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I drive 8 miles to work and around town generally but have made long distance trips on the freeway and found it no different than my large volvo as far as feeling secure in the driving experience. For a 4 cylinder it has a lot of pick up. I tend to put the pedal to the metal and I am not disappointed in its take off from a stop at intersections. Of course, my driving style does mean that my fuel economy is not as good as what is advertised. I get about 30 to 32 in town but 40 on the freeway over long distances.

smarter than you might think
By Alan Griff on 04/03/09 07:17 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Unlike shopping for other vehicles, in choosing a smart, you decide on what you don't need. Do you need to chauffeur people? Do you need to buy fuel frequently? Do you need to spend time looking for a parking spot? Do you need zippy acceleration? Do you need trunk space that will hold more than a suitcase or two? If you answered, "No," to one or more questions, then the smart deserves consideration. Yes, the ride can be poor to fair, but the very comfortable seats make up for a lot. Yes, the transmission doesn't shift that smoothly, but it can be described kindly as "easy going." It's okay in the city, and on the highway, once you're up to speed, does it really matter? I love it.

I LOVE MY LIL TIC TAC
By WITH A PASSION on 03/03/09 17:49 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Got my car in April, 2008. The craziness of being chased down by tow truck drivers and 20 people standing around my car in the grocery store parking lot has gone away. But still have the occasional "how do you like your little car?" at the gas pump. Happy to say, almost a year later and I am still in love with my eco- friendly, economical import. In town, I get 33-42mpg depending on how I'm driving but even when gas was $4.00 a gallon, never spent a whole $20 to fill up. Big inside, very SMART outside.

excellent car
By kay on 03/02/09 16:03 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love the car. When your in it you feel like your in a normal size car. Your actually up higher than a lot of cars, which is one of the safety features. The mileage is much better than they advertise it. I find it to have great pick up. It feels like any other car going 80mph. I was pleased by how well it drives and feels.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.