Used 2008 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Smart Car - a Dissappointment
By Walter Martin

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very dissatisfied with our smart car. The transmission is a joke with very rough head snapping gear shifts, which, because there are five gears, seem to happen all the time in city driving. (At one point our transmission failed to be able to go into reverse. The merecedes dealership fixed this for no charge saying there were "thousands of smart cars with the same problem." If thats the case mercedes should do a recall and fix them all.) The suspension is rough with even minor bumps being uncomfortable. The car was so uncontrollable on ice that special winter tires had to be purchased for it. With the winter tires it is about the same as any car on ice with summer tires. Costly mistake

The fuel economy, while OK is no better than our old 4 door Toyota, which offered a lot greater convenience and capacity. Having to purchase Winter tires wiped out any possible financial savings by fuel economy. There is no spare and no jack making it unsuitable for road trips.

Fix the transmission - get rid of the useless paddle feature. Get a spare tire. Extra internal space would be useful.

Fun runabout!
By risean

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I find that I get over 40 MPG I have 24,000 miles on the car now and love it. It parks anywhere and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. The car is amazingly stable on the highway and has plenty of space for two and a weekends worth of gear and supplies. I love it and would buy another one.

gas mileage, drivability, built in safety features. amazingly fun.

I thought about this for a long time and these trivial things are really all i could come up with. The transmission software could be refined sometimes it has a mind of its own, also the sound system could be better, and the brakes pads are very dusty.

You will forever regret this!
By Robert_Kern

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have had my smart for just under 2 years now. At first it seemed perfect for New York. 150 Dollar Parking per month, fits in tight places, etc. Very quickly however did I find out what an unreliable, terrible little car this is. It has broken down multiple times due to computer errors, failing transmission, clutch, etc. It shakes everything lose on the car whenever you hit the slightest bump. Even a sewer lid produces a noisy thump and a jolt. The car shakes at highway speeds and now my roof is starting to crack. And where is smart? They don't want to have anything to do with the car, the service departments don't know very much about it, the customer service is horrific!

Shifter Paddles

It needs a complete quality overhaul. The Service behind is is below the worst brand you can think of. I am longing for a Hyundai.

Smart Metro Car
By Dan K

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I live in Tucson, AZ and the only hwy driving I've done is to take it 90 miles to Chandler for servicing once a year. Not fun to drive in strong cross winds where everyone wants to drive 85+ mph (limit is 75 mph). Helps to find a mid-sized truck or large van going 75 mph to follow behind. Got 57 mpg on one hwy, 50 mph on my most recent trip (with A/C). Car is perfect for driving around Tucson where hwy travel is limited. The high profile is not great for high wind at high speeds, but it makes getting in and out much easier on the knees. Well worth the trade off for me. Can override auto shifting when needed. Not good with "California stops" as it confuses the auto shift.

Interior room, fun to drive in town, great fuel economy!

Local dealer for servicing, better insulated roof panel for cooler ride in summer (I may paint my roof a different color than black), paddle shifters on Pure model.

'08 Cabriolet
By Primo

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

'Fun to drive' does not do justice to this little car, if you want attention, this is the car. Everywhere I go people stop and ask questions about this car. Some have even asked to sit in it or take pictures. I let my wife drive it sometimes and when she's leaving I am thinking "Boy that thing is small", but when you are inside, it seems much bigger, headroom and legroom is no problem, the ride is a bit bumpy, and the trans is something you either get used to or you don't like it. As far as power goes, I have no problem getting up to speed to enter the expressways, and I have had my car up to 85 mph with no problems. You do get tossed around abit when a semi-truck passes by though.

All the attention, fuel economy, park anywhere.

Cup holders in a better location, cruise control, better visibility when the top is down.