Used 2008 smart fortwo Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 smart fortwo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

passion cabrio 1.0L 3-cyl. 5-speed Automated Manual - (58 reviews )

2008 Cabriolet
By Barbara Robinson

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love this car. Even though there is a jerky shift between 1st & 2nd gears, it's not that bad. The gas mileage has been great (38-45 mph). Most of my driving is around town but I have traveled on the highway. The space inside is surprisingly roomy. My husband and I are both tall and I have to pull the seat forward. The convertible allows you to fold partially or totally down. I like that feature.

Gas mileage, convertible, just plain fun to drive

Poor console lighting, cruise control, seat lever adjustment on wrong side, adjustable steering wheel

Love My Smart Converitble
By Doublesmart

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I drive 8 miles to work and around town generally but have made long distance trips on the freeway and found it no different than my large volvo as far as feeling secure in the driving experience. For a 4 cylinder it has a lot of pick up. I tend to put the pedal to the metal and I am not disappointed in its take off from a stop at intersections. Of course, my driving style does mean that my fuel economy is not as good as what is advertised. I get about 30 to 32 in town but 40 on the freeway over long distances.

My favorite features are its uniqueness and roomy interior. When friends ride with me they are surprised by the comfort and get up and go. I am getting a little tired of constantly being stopped to talk about my car but am getting used to being stared at as I drive down the street.

The engine makes the rear compartment hot and being in the desert intensifies the problem. I have to be careful with groceries.

smarter than you might think
By Alan Griff

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Unlike shopping for other vehicles, in choosing a smart, you decide on what you don't need. Do you need to chauffeur people? Do you need to buy fuel frequently? Do you need to spend time looking for a parking spot? Do you need zippy acceleration? Do you need trunk space that will hold more than a suitcase or two? If you answered, "No," to one or more questions, then the smart deserves consideration. Yes, the ride can be poor to fair, but the very comfortable seats make up for a lot. Yes, the transmission doesn't shift that smoothly, but it can be described kindly as "easy going." It's okay in the city, and on the highway, once you're up to speed, does it really matter? I love it.

I love it's tiny footprint- great for the city. It's turning circle is almost a ring size. The visibility, except to the rear with the top all the way down, is superb. The seats are firm and comfortable. Getting 38 mpg is fine, thank you. Getting in and out, particularly in parking lots.

Smoother tranny. Faster acceleration. An armrest. Cruise control. Longer standard warranty. Bigger sun visors, and lighted vanity mirrors for both driver and passenger. Window switches located more forward.

Think Outside the Box
By Red Fred

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Bought for our daughter who is 15 so that she can learn to drive and take it to college. I drive it now almost every day and will miss it when she gets her license. Solid, practical, great handling, efficient, peppy car to drive

Looks cool, easy to park, handles like a dream, easy on fuel, artistic look and feel, quality is amazing.

Add padding to door arm rests, allow auto lock feature to be disabled, add storage drawer under seats.

better than you think it would be
By dwr

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is amazing, my fuel cost is average $13.00 every two weeks and the maintenance is so minimal I keep thinking I am missing an oil change. Once a year service and oil change, quality construction and materials and a convertible with heated seats is a huge plus.

the stereo, power roof, auto windshield wipers, heated seats, storage compartment, leather heated seats, auto to tiptronic to manual transmission and quality of materials.

Add some heavy duty turbo and more exterior colors.

• SUV