2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
SMART and SAFE
By Jack on 04/25/10 19:21 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

There's a conspiracy by some to paint the SMART as unsafe. I've even seen a photo of a small car squashed between two semis that was falsely identified to be a SMART car. SMART cars have only 3 lug-nuts. The squashed car had FIVE lug nuts! Moron! My only complaint about my 2008 Passion SMART is the whack-a-doodle electronic interlocking systems. SMART designers please take note: Every component that makes an interlock circuit longer also makes it more prone to failure or malfunction. Just today, I couldn't get the rear window to unlock with the remote, which gave a double-beep when I pressed the appropriate button and then re-locked. Back window/tailgate had to be unlocked manually.

Smart 2008
By James on 04/09/10 20:44 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The vehicle has been a joy to own. It has pep and most of the time you want to pass everyone on the road. The only thing done to the vehicle since I've owned it is one oil change. It has a good cruise speed of 70 MPH.

Makes Life Easy
By HiBeamsOn on 02/25/10 07:20 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my smart, and it makes my life in the city easy! I live where people will pay 30K for a parking spot, but why do that when for half the price you can have such a wonderful car! I NEVER have parking issues any longer! Drives great in the city and the freeway, holds lots of groceries, plenty of luggage for a weekend jaunt to the country, and enough space left over for those can't-live-without-it purchases. People have said that they cannot see themselves in a smart. I tell them that they are missing out. NOTE: The transmission is a manual that is designed to shift automatically. It is not an automatic. If you are used to the way a manual trans feels, the smart will feel very normal.

2 years and still loving my Smart
By Belva Hinthorn on 02/09/10 17:43 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I reviewed my Smart 2 years ago just after purchase. 2 years, 10,500 miles later I still love driving it and besides gas, 2 maintenance visits, an armrest I just had installed, and an accessory for the back "trunk" for covered storage, I haven't put an extra dime into it. It still looks like new and is even more fun to drive. On my recent oil change visit, they made the upgrade on the transmission and installed a free battery (due to ? recall)so I'm good for another 5000 miles.It is even peppier now than before the upgrade. I have never regretted buying my Smart and hope to keep it forever. It still gets smiles from other drivers. The only reason to trade it would be for an electric model.

impossible to get repaired
By sasha on 02/08/10 12:07 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Our smart car got hit in an accident. The authorized repair center did not have any of the parts in stock. We waited 6 weeks for parts to come in from Germany. I have never gotten such bad service or waited so long for repairs on a car. I would never buy another Smart Car. They are not yet prepared to enter the American market

Pros and Cons
By KvFireman on 02/05/10 10:55 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I purchased my Smart in October of 2009. Overall for what it is, the Smart is a good car. The Smart only holds approx 8 gallons of fuel. I have clocked the mileage at 48 mpg driving at around 55-60mph. 65-70 it drops considerably. A steady foot on the gas pedal helps. Try to avoid slowing down and speeding up frequently. This will decrease your mpg. It does not do well shifting on it's own. It lugs a lot which I don't care what anybody says is not good for the engine!! The entire car also jolts when it shifts. You are better off shifting manually. There is no cruise control. The lumbar support is not very good. Other than those few issues, its really a great vehicle. Have no other complaints

Excellent & SuperSafe!
By jy on 01/12/10 20:43 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We researched the smart car for the past 2 years. Bought a used one last Saturday. Initial impressions are excellent! People complaining about the tranny don't know how to drive a manual! Car has plenty of pep. Handles very well. Overall build quality is excellent. Why the disconnect between so many actual owners loving this car and the mostly poor reviews by "professional" reviewers? Can't figure that out. This car is the safest small car on the road!

Smart is for Smart people
By John Salazar on 12/14/09 09:22 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have driven this car for 2 years, local and cross country. The speed and mileage is second to none for the size. I recommend this fun and notable car for people who are anxious to enjoy and pleasurable and comfortable driving event every time they drive..

40,000 miles and still no problems
By Rome Addict on 12/06/09 08:51 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I'll admit it. I have loved these cars since I first saw them in Italy in 1998. When they FINALLY came to the USA I'd been on a waiting list for 18 months. My actual mileage experience with crappy "boutique" Phoenix gas is 45 - 48 mpg highway, 41 combined and 35 city. I don't know where Edmunds gets its 37 mpg? I beat the crap out of this car and it performs like a trooper. Drove it cross country, drive it 75 miles per day city/highway. I am personally gunning for 250,000 miles before I sell it. Would not recommend the sun roof for AZ. Downgraded comfort to 9 because AC can't keep up in AZ. Anyplace else would probably be fine.

Love it, Attention getter, Best so far
By Mel on 11/18/09 07:47 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

If someone wanted to trade me, title for title, Mercedes, corvette, etc... and I could not sell there trade, would not trade. Love it, fun to drive, S A F E. Read the info, published, go to a smart car dealer and look at the frame.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.