Used 2008 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2008 smart fortwo

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Ideal Key West Car!
By Tom Lavender

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have a very early 2008 Passion Cabrio. Really enjoy the car, but it's 150 miles to the dealer. Have had many driveability problems. It took Smart 2 1/2 years to figure what the backup problem was. I had cruise control installed, the dealer blamed the backup problem on the cruise. I had the cruise uninstalled still had the problem. I truly love the car but just don't understand Smarts logic as to marketing and service. I'm out of warranty and ready to trade cars Smart Weston acts like they don't want my car back. It is a wonderful car, would be even better if the dealer wasn't 150 miles away. They need better warranty and better service centers.

Favorite Features

Size, easy parking, gas mileage is ok could be better for a car this size. Really fun to drive! Love the ability to put the top down or up while I'm driving.

Suggested Improvements

Better dealer network, Information available to independent service shops. CRUISE CONTROL that is factory installed. Better designed Air Conditioning, you can't cool it down in south Florida with the current design. Redesign the transmission for a smoother shift, current one is very jerky!

Like no other car!
By Gabe

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very enjoyable, and great response from other drivers and people. Lots of smart fans around! I really enjoyed it. I sold it for a VW Golf, that feels like a cruise ship in comparison! The transmission is AWFUL and needs getting used to. Slow and heaving when it shifts gears. Also, it had a bunch of repairs, recalls, bulletins under warranty, that were marvelously and fully and competently addressed by Smart Center Portland. Very safe and fun on the freeway.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, fun to drive. Very well designed. Very comfortable (i'm 6 ft 4!). Exceptional customer care!

Suggested Improvements

Premium gas. Awful transmission. Jiggly, harsh ride. Depreciates very quickly if you buy new! Cheap quality interior. If you want one, get yourself a good used one, with low miles, or negotiate if new. Do NOT pay MSRP!

Lies and and verbal promises
By michael

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We were one of the first people (71/72nd) in Florida to buy this car 28 months ago. We bought the convertible with all the extras 24k total from the start we started having mechanical problems. We also bought an extended warranty $1400. Time after time the car was having to be towed and it wasn't just one thing. It was the shifter twice the engine twice the a/c and it goes on and on. The car is now broke and sitting in our yard with 30k miles. The warranty doesn't cover transporting the car after 24k. This was after a sales person assured us the if anything go wrong including the tires for 70k miles it will be towed and fixed at no cost.

Favorite Features

I have one and the best day i will have in this car will be the day someone buys this junk from me and my wife.

Suggested Improvements

send it back to Europe

Two Year Update
By Alan Griff

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After two years, the honeymoon is over, but the marriage is still good. I adapted to the fussy transmission. A relaxed driving style works wonders. The ride actually improved with time. Winter driving is okay, but winter parking after a snowstorm is painful because the smart is so light. In the Summer, the AC occasionally blows hot air or the fan stops, and this is after the fan was replaced, a popular warranty fix, I've been told. The driver side airbag cover popped a bit. Unsightly. But that's the extent of the bad stuff. Overall, the smart is still mostly a pleasure. I'm 5'9" weigh in the high 200s and the car is comfortable and easy to enter and exit. The ragtop of choice.

Favorite Features

Price for a new convertible can't be beat. Parking space availability is glorious. Riding solo means plenty of cargo space. MPG is never under 30. No more getting stuck behind garbage trucks! Joy! Perfect size for the city. Love the rain sensor wipers and auto headlight.

Suggested Improvements

30+ MPG is good, but I want more, especially with the premium fuel requirement. A CVT would be most welcome. HVAC controls feel flimsy. Cupholders and window switches placement are not quite close enough to hand. Speedometer is optimistic. Cruise control should be standard.

Smart Car - a Dissappointment
By Walter Martin

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very dissatisfied with our smart car. The transmission is a joke with very rough head snapping gear shifts, which, because there are five gears, seem to happen all the time in city driving. (At one point our transmission failed to be able to go into reverse. The merecedes dealership fixed this for no charge saying there were "thousands of smart cars with the same problem." If thats the case mercedes should do a recall and fix them all.) The suspension is rough with even minor bumps being uncomfortable. The car was so uncontrollable on ice that special winter tires had to be purchased for it. With the winter tires it is about the same as any car on ice with summer tires. Costly mistake

Favorite Features

The fuel economy, while OK is no better than our old 4 door Toyota, which offered a lot greater convenience and capacity. Having to purchase Winter tires wiped out any possible financial savings by fuel economy. There is no spare and no jack making it unsuitable for road trips.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission - get rid of the useless paddle feature. Get a spare tire. Extra internal space would be useful.