Used 2008 smart fortwo Convertible Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 smart fortwo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

passion cabrio 1.0L 3-cyl. 5-speed Automated Manual - (58 reviews )

Two Year Update
By Alan Griff

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After two years, the honeymoon is over, but the marriage is still good. I adapted to the fussy transmission. A relaxed driving style works wonders. The ride actually improved with time. Winter driving is okay, but winter parking after a snowstorm is painful because the smart is so light. In the Summer, the AC occasionally blows hot air or the fan stops, and this is after the fan was replaced, a popular warranty fix, I've been told. The driver side airbag cover popped a bit. Unsightly. But that's the extent of the bad stuff. Overall, the smart is still mostly a pleasure. I'm 5'9" weigh in the high 200s and the car is comfortable and easy to enter and exit. The ragtop of choice.

Price for a new convertible can't be beat. Parking space availability is glorious. Riding solo means plenty of cargo space. MPG is never under 30. No more getting stuck behind garbage trucks! Joy! Perfect size for the city. Love the rain sensor wipers and auto headlight.

30+ MPG is good, but I want more, especially with the premium fuel requirement. A CVT would be most welcome. HVAC controls feel flimsy. Cupholders and window switches placement are not quite close enough to hand. Speedometer is optimistic. Cruise control should be standard.

'08 Cabriolet
By Primo

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

'Fun to drive' does not do justice to this little car, if you want attention, this is the car. Everywhere I go people stop and ask questions about this car. Some have even asked to sit in it or take pictures. I let my wife drive it sometimes and when she's leaving I am thinking "Boy that thing is small", but when you are inside, it seems much bigger, headroom and legroom is no problem, the ride is a bit bumpy, and the trans is something you either get used to or you don't like it. As far as power goes, I have no problem getting up to speed to enter the expressways, and I have had my car up to 85 mph with no problems. You do get tossed around abit when a semi-truck passes by though.

All the attention, fuel economy, park anywhere.

Cup holders in a better location, cruise control, better visibility when the top is down.

Not What I Was Expecting
By bikerchick3

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Rides horribly. Faulty transmission has left me stranded a couple of times and the dealership won't do anything about it. original battery was "bad" and left me stranded, but they replaced it. Gas mileage in the city is only ~25 mpg., much less than I was expecting.

convertible, heated seats, rain sensor.

Fix the transmission issues! Improve the mileage.

2 years and still loving my Smart
By Belva Hinthorn

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I reviewed my Smart 2 years ago just after purchase. 2 years, 10,500 miles later I still love driving it and besides gas, 2 maintenance visits, an armrest I just had installed, and an accessory for the back "trunk" for covered storage, I haven't put an extra dime into it. It still looks like new and is even more fun to drive. On my recent oil change visit, they made the upgrade on the transmission and installed a free battery (due to ? recall)so I'm good for another 5000 miles.It is even peppier now than before the upgrade. I have never regretted buying my Smart and hope to keep it forever. It still gets smiles from other drivers. The only reason to trade it would be for an electric model.

Roominess inside, stability, fun, convertible top, low maintenance cost

I fixed two negatives by buying the armrest that is offered by Smart and adding the trunk part that prevents groceries from sliding into the space behind the seat. I thought the cloth dashboard would be a problem buy mine still looks like new.

This is such a cool car~!
By D. Martin

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I am a college student who wanted an inexpensive car to get to and from school. This car is so fun to drive, especially with the top rolled down. It gets many stares and many questions. I love everything about it! Obviously this car isn't for everyone. Some people need trucks for work, but for many people like me, this two-seater is perfect. It holds everything I need for my classes and squeezes into tight places when I'm on the hunt for parking. My family owns a Mini Cooper S, and although it leaves the Smart in the dust performance wise, the Smart, for me anyway, is much more entertaining to drive due to it's unique character. Don't expect to be an Indy 500 racer in this car.

Nice and roomy. 40mpg city if you behave. Surprising amount of storage space. Tons of upgradable features like storage nets/boxes/cruise control. Plastic, interchangeable body panels are so cool! New colors each season? This car makes people smile; it's a very unique experience to own one in Texas!

The car is too slow. It's so bad, it can get smoked by an Amigo. The transmission software upgrade helped with the jerkiness during shifts, but it's still noticeable. For a car this small, you'd think it would be quicker. Unfortunately the engine is underpowered. Turbo charger please! :)