2008 smart fortwo Convertible Consumer Reviews 2

2008 smart fortwo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

passion cabrio 1.0L 3-cyl. 5-speed Automated Manual - (58 reviews )
2008 Cabriolet
By Barbara Robinson on 05/21/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love this car. Even though there is a jerky shift between 1st & 2nd gears, it's not that bad. The gas mileage has been great (38-45 mph). Most of my driving is around town but I have traveled on the highway. The space inside is surprisingly roomy. My husband and I are both tall and I have to pull the seat forward. The convertible allows you to fold partially or totally down. I like that feature.

Love My Smart Converitble
By Doublesmart on 04/12/09 18:11 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I drive 8 miles to work and around town generally but have made long distance trips on the freeway and found it no different than my large volvo as far as feeling secure in the driving experience. For a 4 cylinder it has a lot of pick up. I tend to put the pedal to the metal and I am not disappointed in its take off from a stop at intersections. Of course, my driving style does mean that my fuel economy is not as good as what is advertised. I get about 30 to 32 in town but 40 on the freeway over long distances.

smarter than you might think
By Alan Griff on 04/03/09 07:17 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Unlike shopping for other vehicles, in choosing a smart, you decide on what you don't need. Do you need to chauffeur people? Do you need to buy fuel frequently? Do you need to spend time looking for a parking spot? Do you need zippy acceleration? Do you need trunk space that will hold more than a suitcase or two? If you answered, "No," to one or more questions, then the smart deserves consideration. Yes, the ride can be poor to fair, but the very comfortable seats make up for a lot. Yes, the transmission doesn't shift that smoothly, but it can be described kindly as "easy going." It's okay in the city, and on the highway, once you're up to speed, does it really matter? I love it.

Think Outside the Box
By Red Fred on 02/28/09 14:21 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Bought for our daughter who is 15 so that she can learn to drive and take it to college. I drive it now almost every day and will miss it when she gets her license. Solid, practical, great handling, efficient, peppy car to drive

better than you think it would be
By dwr on 12/17/08 20:30 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This car is amazing, my fuel cost is average $13.00 every two weeks and the maintenance is so minimal I keep thinking I am missing an oil change. Once a year service and oil change, quality construction and materials and a convertible with heated seats is a huge plus.

Smart Fortwo Passion Cabriolet.
By T.E.Montecillo on 12/13/08 18:53 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I received my new Smart Fortwo Passion Cabriolet on October 26,2008. It was a warm and sunny afternoon (for Michigan) On my drive home from the dealership I reached 82 MPH on the freeway and felt comfortable and safe. Once at home I felt like a celebrity as many people approached me to ask me about my new car. In fact wherever I go people stop me to ask about the car. I always tell them that the car handles well in every weather situation I have encountered so far, I have been averaging 35.9 MPG, And my commute to work is 19 miles. Also I work in downtown Detroit and finding parking can be difficult at times. However I have been able to park cheaply or even free on many occasions. SMART USA

Fun to have your arrival announced
By gitlaw on 12/04/08 12:35 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Wherever you go, you can hear people announce your arrival ("Smart car!"). That aside, the car has unexpected power on the highway. This car, like a small dog, doesn't know it's small. Love the convertible top, though, which can open and close at any speed. Mercedes technology makes the car very quiet with the roof up compared to other convertibles (like the noisy Miata, for example). You get used to the upshift from 1st to 3rd, although my spouse prefers to use the paddle shifters for a smoother transition.

the Helmet
By kdb on 12/03/08 17:11 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We adapted an orphan and love it, we call it the helmet because we think it looks like a football helmet and we feel safe in it so it protects us like a helmet. My husband and I are neither one small people and we feel very comfortable in the car. The only thing that is sometimes uncomfortable is that people always stare. I feel like I am speeding all the time.

Gouged by dealer of love car
By Lexe Payne on 11/15/08 14:58 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I find out after the fact that the dealer misrepresented the cost of accessories and pocketed a lot of extra money. The car is wonderful to drive and is extremely comfortable and easy to get in and out of. The quality of the car is extremely good considering the cost. It is the old VW bug mentality with a 20th century need for speed and room and comfort.

fatter tires
By william on 10/08/08 17:27 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

love the car, mostly,except the jerking transmission, and the ROUGH ride. I think it need fatter tires to soften the ride over rough areas, like rail road crossings, and pot holes, etc. A speed control would be nice, too. Now take a look at the sun visors, too small & try turning them to the left, hmm, room inside is great,style is great, & I would love it more if the ride were smoother. I like the attention. Get one.