2008 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews 18

2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
2008 smart Passion
By lock on 03/10/08 17:02 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The smart is definitely fun to drive, and has excellent mileage. My best tank so far, driving conservatively on the highway, has been 53 MPG. Realistically one should expect high 30s to mid 40 MPGs, depending on driving. Mileage suffers above 65 MPH as the drag increases. The quirky transmission is the car's greatest weak spot. It is neither as smooth as a traditional auto, nor as quick to change gears as a manual. It literally takes a certain learning curve to get used to it and get smoother. Nevertheless, the car is super fun to drive. If you don't want to wait a full year for a reservation, get on your local dealer's "orphan" list for cars that have been turned down.

Little red smart
By jthomas119 on 03/05/08 13:08 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I first saw a smart car in Rome were they were everywhere and immediately decided that when they/if they came to US, I would buy one. I am retired and only need a car for errands and short drives within a smallish town (Santa Cruz, CA). This is the perfect size for me, easy to park, fun to drive, good visibility, safe if anyone runs into me, and the heated leather seats are a bonus. Once I got used to the transmission, it is fine as long as you use manual mode and not auto. I have only had it for 2 weeks but I have not found any downsides to it yet.

The Car People Love To Wave To!!!
By j m shanus on 03/04/08 14:41 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Got the car three weeks ago, and it's been nothing but great fun. It is a little odd handling, the transmission is something you have to get used to! I really feel a true 5 speed manual would have been better. Also note that the tire pressure is 29 PSI in the front tires and that the rear tires are 36 PSI. They were all set at 36 PSI and the handling on the highway was poor tracking and that loose front end. Gas mpg has been 37-40 on and off state highways, interstate. Also city driving, stop and go. Car has only 650 miles and not broken in. The model is the passion coupe in yellow black tridon/black interior, extra gauges, fog lights.

Not a smart decision
By Steven Sound on 03/04/08 04:12 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Yes this car will get you attention but once this fad wears out, it will be nothing but a joke. After driving this car for 4k miles I have gotten mixed reviews, some laughs and some positive remarks. I average 31 MPG but when I drive on the highway at 70 MPH it drops to about 26 and it has zero power for passing. The transmission shifts very hard and abruptly from 1st to 2nd gear. The ride is rough but it is fun to drive a small car. The 2 year warranty is a joke. Every trip to the dealer costs $100 just to look at the car. As I said the car is fun to drive for a few weeks but exhausting to own and no worth buying if you need a reliable, fuel efficient car. A Honda Fit is a better value.

As an Owner from Florida.
By Louis G. Myers on 02/21/08 11:16 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very good on the highway. I like the room inside, the steering, the visibilty, and the exterior and interior color. Here are some things that wood help you in the 09s. I had my grandson drive, he is 6ft 5. now thats OK but he wears a size 15 shoe. He had a hard time with his left foot, it was a little too tight on the left side where the foot goes.We do feel a bump or pot hole which is understandable.

IT'S SMART TO BUY A SMART
By larry Dempski on 02/05/08 07:40 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Since taking delivery after a nearly one year wait, I find the SMART CAR was certianly worth the wait! Just gas milaege alone is money back in my pocket. The SMART CAR PASSION was my model choice and being 6'4" 240# was a concern, surprise, surprise! I had head and leg room to spare compared to a tight fix in my wife's Lexus RX. I figured the SMART to be my summer "toy". Since taking delivery we had a snow storm and horrible side streets, the SMART handled the snow quite well. Fuel economy is over the charts, I have yet to stop for my second fillup. Again the long wait was definitely worth it and encourage buyers to consider getting SMART!

smart fortwo passion
By Brutus Buckeye on 02/04/08 17:22 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Driving this car is a lot of fun and you get lots of inquisitive looks! There are only about 20 in the whole state so far so it is turning a lot of heads. For such a small car it has a decent ride and a bit of pep!

My Smart Car
By My Smart on 02/03/08 13:32 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have been waiting 11 months for this car and now that I have it and have driven in the highway for 125 miles, I know I made the right choice. Not only is it fun to drive, it's cheap to drive. I did invest in a LOJACK since the vehicle only weighs 1800 lbs - you can actually pick it up with ease, of course not by yourself but with some help you can I am sure (lol). We like so much we have a second car on order.

2008 smart fortwo passion
By Doug on 02/02/08 08:08 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Picked up car last week, and way too much fun to drive. Gets lots of looks, and stares. Gas mileage is good as well. Be very careful driving fast over train tracks though.

First smart delivered in Oklahoma
By Okie Boy on 02/01/08 10:35 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The smart is a fun car to drive, it is roomy inside, power is good, and the automated five speed manual transmission works well but takes a little time to adjust to. The fuel econmy in mixed driving is about 38 mpg. Every where we go people want to know about the smart.