Used 2008 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

My Smart Car Picachu
By Kurt

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I fell in love with the look in Rome, so as soon as I found it was coming to America I signed up for one. This is one of my best decisions ever. Actually I love to drive it in the Highway, the only thing this car lacks is cruise control. People love to look at it, and it certainly brings smiles to peoples faces. Love my Smart.

Favorite Features

All of the safety features. Size.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control.

SmartCar for Two
By Cassandra Lista

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I've had my SC for only seven months and I like it more and more. It did have an initial "breaking in" time during during which I got accustomed to its shifting and handling and it "adapted" (according to the dealer) to my driving style. It did take awhile to get used to the shifting. While it isn't a "luxury" car it has many features that I consider luxurious and it has safety features which are extra on many cars, like a built-in roll bar, electronic stabilization, disc brakes, etc. While it is small (which I =love=) it sits high so that visibility is excellent.

Favorite Features

I like that it sits tall even tho it is short, 8-feet long. I love the skylight. I like the way it handles. I like its stability even in the wind. I just love my car!

Suggested Improvements

The windshield needs a non-reflective coating. The speedometer et al. display has a polarized screen which makes it almost impossible to read when wearing polarized glasses. Acceleration could be improved.

The Killer Bee - My smart car and Me!
By PegMcC54

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I reserved a smart car as soon as I heard that they would be imported (and after a little research.) I love this little buzzing bee! I fold down my passenger seat for my service dog, a golden retriever and still have plenty of room to carry dog food and groceries! People will gather round where ever we go. Even have folks track along side to ask questions at stop lights and such. The local TV station WTOV9 Wheeling/Stuebenville ran a piece on it. They were driving by, spotted it in front of the house (I live right on old Route 40/ National Road) banged on my door and asked for a demo and interview. I love to wave at the gas stations as I buzz by. Maybe next week, fellas!

Favorite Features

Convertible, Style, Ease of handling, FUN!

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable Steering

Mercedes Should be embarrassed!
By scott

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

What a shame! Great concept - horrible car to drive. I have 5 drivers in my house and after the initial novelty period passed, no one wants to take this car. It drives so poorly. I won't drive it anymore as it's jerky ride makes me wish I has an air sickness bag in the car. Gas mileage is disappointing, car is woefully underpowered and the silly transmission should cause me to get my money back under the lemon law, the dealer keeps saying that it is supposed to work the way it works. Shame on Mercedes. I feel bad that a company like them has to be affiliated with such a joke of an overpriced car. I can't wait to sell it to some hyped up fool who falls for this scam of a car!

Favorite Features

That there is enough hype for me to sell it to some other sucker who falls for cuteness and the high gas mileage hype.

Suggested Improvements

Repair the transmission and bring the 70 MPG version of the car that Europe enjoys.

Disapointed Owner
By Rob

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The car is fun to drive with the exception of the transmission. You never know when it is going to hesitate, sometimes it take 3 to 5 seconds for the computer operated clutch to decide what it wants to do. This is dangerous when trying to pull out into traffic. The gas mileage in the city is only 25 to 30. The car has not lived up to my expectations.

Suggested Improvements

Re-design the transmission.