Used 2008 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

2008 Smart hatch
By smartguy1

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

My wife and I purchased our smart in 2008, paid way to much. The original dealer dropped it,(like no one knew that was coming) and then went to Mercedes. Other then being treated like a red headed step child by the dealer, probably because this thing is so cheap the car is not bad. It took me a while to get the hang of the herky jerky response, and the A/C stop when you really stomp on the accelerator, which other cars I have had did, so no big deal. I now have 25K miles on it and drive it like you beat a rented mule. No real problems to speak of. I use Royal Purple in it and find that seems to work best for oil. I run with the big dogs on the highway and like it a lot.

Favorite Features

doofas looking car, get a lot of laughs as I am 6'4" at about 200 lbs.

Daimler Won't Back
By 1unhappysmarty

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

My 08 smart just turned 50K miles and now I am told that it needs a new engine. Daimler won’t back up their product or even work with me in any way. I am warning social media to consider other auto companies when it comes time to purchase a vehicle.

Favorite Features

I LOVE this car. I really can't imagine driving anything else. I am so heartbroken that a cylinder went out and I need a new engine. The clear roof and roomy interior is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Daimler needs to research how many engines fail.

Great car
By jessebkaye

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just downsized from a huge full size sedan to the fortwo and I couldnt be happier. It may be a bit utilitarian in its features but its worth saving $500 a month in gas, is easy to find a space and helps keep life simple. Well worth the purchase, despite the funny looks people give. I'm 6'2 and its surprisingly spacious.

Favorite Features

MPG, simple features, roof height

Suggested Improvements

none really....

Stupid Car!
By clins

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Had issues from almost day 1. Went through a small puddle during rain storm - caused the passenger seat airbag light to go on. Has never turned off. Barely touch the key while it's in ignition it will turn the engine off. Completely unsafe when you are driving. Had it happen a few times (dog touched it). Have repeated issue with the engine not wanting to go into gear, especially reverse. Don't want to even attempt to do a u-turn because it might not go into R and you are stuck in middle of road. Goes through phases. Works for a few weeks then it doesn't. Someone suggested rain might affect it. Battery dies often too. I live on an island & to ship it over costs $400. Have not seen dealer.

Favorite Features

Seat warmers are nice. Lots of leg room. I am almost 6' tall and have no issue. Can even fit my great dane in the passenger seat, or in the back if she curls up.

Suggested Improvements

This car is completely unsafe. Between not wanting to go into gear, the insane shifting it does, and the fact that tapping the key while in the ignition will shut it off, I am amazed there have not been lawsuits. Thought maybe it was just my car, but there are a few others on the island that have Smart Cars and most have had similar problems. Unfortunately the only other alternative here is a golf cart, and that doesn't keep you very warm in the winter.

horn & door problems lies on extended warranty
By kulumao

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my 2008 Smart passiion. I have less than 12000 miles on it. The first time i had to use the horn, it does not work, the plastic part on the door hinge is missing. I bought a platinum ext warranty at the time and was told it covered bumper to bumper for 5 years. Now they told me the horn problem is not covered and the door hinge missing part is not covered either. what a rip off, never buy any ext warranty from mercedes benz again. I won't touch any MB either, Lexus gave much better service and had no problems.