2008 smart fortwo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
2008 Smart hatch
By smartguy1 on 02/23/14 09:50 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

My wife and I purchased our smart in 2008, paid way to much. The original dealer dropped it,(like no one knew that was coming) and then went to Mercedes. Other then being treated like a red headed step child by the dealer, probably because this thing is so cheap the car is not bad. It took me a while to get the hang of the herky jerky response, and the A/C stop when you really stomp on the accelerator, which other cars I have had did, so no big deal. I now have 25K miles on it and drive it like you beat a rented mule. No real problems to speak of. I use Royal Purple in it and find that seems to work best for oil. I run with the big dogs on the highway and like it a lot.

Daimler Won't Back
By 1unhappysmarty on 12/09/12 14:19 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

My 08 smart just turned 50K miles and now I am told that it needs a new engine. Daimler wonÂ’t back up their product or even work with me in any way. I am warning social media to consider other auto companies when it comes time to purchase a vehicle.

Great car
By jessebkaye on 03/23/12 07:07 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just downsized from a huge full size sedan to the fortwo and I couldnt be happier. It may be a bit utilitarian in its features but its worth saving $500 a month in gas, is easy to find a space and helps keep life simple. Well worth the purchase, despite the funny looks people give. I'm 6'2 and its surprisingly spacious.

Stupid Car!
By clins on 01/22/12 17:31 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Had issues from almost day 1. Went through a small puddle during rain storm - caused the passenger seat airbag light to go on. Has never turned off. Barely touch the key while it's in ignition it will turn the engine off. Completely unsafe when you are driving. Had it happen a few times (dog touched it). Have repeated issue with the engine not wanting to go into gear, especially reverse. Don't want to even attempt to do a u-turn because it might not go into R and you are stuck in middle of road. Goes through phases. Works for a few weeks then it doesn't. Someone suggested rain might affect it. Battery dies often too. I live on an island & to ship it over costs $400. Have not seen dealer.

horn & door problems lies on extended warranty
By kulumao on 11/08/11 15:26 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my 2008 Smart passiion. I have less than 12000 miles on it. The first time i had to use the horn, it does not work, the plastic part on the door hinge is missing. I bought a platinum ext warranty at the time and was told it covered bumper to bumper for 5 years. Now they told me the horn problem is not covered and the door hinge missing part is not covered either. what a rip off, never buy any ext warranty from mercedes benz again. I won't touch any MB either, Lexus gave much better service and had no problems.

I hate this car so much...
By foxmajik on 04/11/11 12:16 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I've had to take this car in for work more than my used '92 Mazda Protege. For various reasons, from plastic pieces falling off the interior to the air dam in the front snapping off and dragging on the freeway. The gas mileage is atrocious for a car this small (around 25 mpg). The transmission is a confused and nervous little curmudgeon that can't decide what gear it wants to be in when you're under 15 mph and keeps jumping back and forth between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Every time the gear shifts the car lurches back and lunges forward like I've slammed on the brakes. And this is normal for smart cars, every one I've been in does it, even after having the transmission firmware upgraded.

2008 Piece of Junk
By dispshannon on 02/10/11 16:46 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I purchased this vehicle new and within 1 year was having trouble with the transmission ...Wont go into reverse. Dealership says nothing wrong. 1 year later..NO WARRANTY and now it wont go into reverse or forward. How do you drive a car that wont do forward or reverse..YOU DONT...

Like no other car!
By Gabe on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very enjoyable, and great response from other drivers and people. Lots of smart fans around! I really enjoyed it. I sold it for a VW Golf, that feels like a cruise ship in comparison! The transmission is AWFUL and needs getting used to. Slow and heaving when it shifts gears. Also, it had a bunch of repairs, recalls, bulletins under warranty, that were marvelously and fully and competently addressed by Smart Center Portland. Very safe and fun on the freeway.

Smart Car - a Dissappointment
By Walter Martin on 09/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very dissatisfied with our smart car. The transmission is a joke with very rough head snapping gear shifts, which, because there are five gears, seem to happen all the time in city driving. (At one point our transmission failed to be able to go into reverse. The merecedes dealership fixed this for no charge saying there were "thousands of smart cars with the same problem." If thats the case mercedes should do a recall and fix them all.) The suspension is rough with even minor bumps being uncomfortable. The car was so uncontrollable on ice that special winter tires had to be purchased for it. With the winter tires it is about the same as any car on ice with summer tires. Costly mistake

Fun runabout!
By risean on 08/31/10 10:17 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Hatchback pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I find that I get over 40 MPG I have 24,000 miles on the car now and love it. It parks anywhere and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. The car is amazingly stable on the highway and has plenty of space for two and a weekends worth of gear and supplies. I love it and would buy another one.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.