2008 smart fortwo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

passion cabrio 1.0L 3-cyl. 5-speed Automated Manual - (58 reviews )
Words Cannot Describe How Much I hate this car
By ihatemysmart on 01/30/14 19:53 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Since I have owned this car, the battery died within the first year, random pieces of plastic have fallen off, it has had numerous transmission "software" problems that have left me stranded and ready to walk away from it, the engine blew at 23,000 miles, AND NOW it has yet ANOTHER transmission problem that the service department can't figure out -- I can't get it to shift out of Park when it is cold! THIS IS A PROBLEM! I tell everyone I see when I am at the dealership, I tell everyone that ever asks me about it. The guy in the parts department even agreed with me: "Yeah, I have never heard of a car having that many problems in that combination."

58000mile valve job
By notsmart on 04/18/12 16:34 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

58000 miles and had to replace fuel injectors..now it needs a valve job. 58000miles????? are they kidding me. every time i bring it to smart they break something. changed a tire and they broke the sensor. had an oil change and they broke the valve. got it back from service and they forgot to put on the engine cover. now it took them more than 2 hours to diagnose low compression in #2 cylinder..remove engine and try to do a valve job. with out changing the guides. now they want to replace the head because they don't know how to redo the heads. is this on the jobs training with my car. also had the no reverse shift problem in the past. smart does not want to help. buy a new one ..yeah right!

Don't buy a 2008 dealer buyback = LEMON
By Cindy on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Really disappointed with this car. Yes it's fun to drive, great to put the top down, and yes its cute- however when I went to trade it in- it turns out that a dealer buy back = LEMON in the car world. Thus- hideous trade in value. Shame on you Annapolis Smart- Mercedes. Buy back = Lemon- run don't walk from the 2008- check the title history, if you see dealer buy back look elsewhere unless you plan on keeping it forever.

Ideal Key West Car!
By Tom Lavender on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have a very early 2008 Passion Cabrio. Really enjoy the car, but it's 150 miles to the dealer. Have had many driveability problems. It took Smart 2 1/2 years to figure what the backup problem was. I had cruise control installed, the dealer blamed the backup problem on the cruise. I had the cruise uninstalled still had the problem. I truly love the car but just don't understand Smarts logic as to marketing and service. I'm out of warranty and ready to trade cars Smart Weston acts like they don't want my car back. It is a wonderful car, would be even better if the dealer wasn't 150 miles away. They need better warranty and better service centers.

Lies and and verbal promises
By michael on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We were one of the first people (71/72nd) in Florida to buy this car 28 months ago. We bought the convertible with all the extras 24k total from the start we started having mechanical problems. We also bought an extended warranty $1400. Time after time the car was having to be towed and it wasn't just one thing. It was the shifter twice the engine twice the a/c and it goes on and on. The car is now broke and sitting in our yard with 30k miles. The warranty doesn't cover transporting the car after 24k. This was after a sales person assured us the if anything go wrong including the tires for 70k miles it will be towed and fixed at no cost.

Two Year Update
By Alan Griff on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After two years, the honeymoon is over, but the marriage is still good. I adapted to the fussy transmission. A relaxed driving style works wonders. The ride actually improved with time. Winter driving is okay, but winter parking after a snowstorm is painful because the smart is so light. In the Summer, the AC occasionally blows hot air or the fan stops, and this is after the fan was replaced, a popular warranty fix, I've been told. The driver side airbag cover popped a bit. Unsightly. But that's the extent of the bad stuff. Overall, the smart is still mostly a pleasure. I'm 5'9" weigh in the high 200s and the car is comfortable and easy to enter and exit. The ragtop of choice.

'08 Cabriolet
By Primo on 07/02/10 05:32 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

'Fun to drive' does not do justice to this little car, if you want attention, this is the car. Everywhere I go people stop and ask questions about this car. Some have even asked to sit in it or take pictures. I let my wife drive it sometimes and when she's leaving I am thinking "Boy that thing is small", but when you are inside, it seems much bigger, headroom and legroom is no problem, the ride is a bit bumpy, and the trans is something you either get used to or you don't like it. As far as power goes, I have no problem getting up to speed to enter the expressways, and I have had my car up to 85 mph with no problems. You do get tossed around abit when a semi-truck passes by though.

Not What I Was Expecting
By bikerchick3 on 05/09/10 13:58 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Rides horribly. Faulty transmission has left me stranded a couple of times and the dealership won't do anything about it. original battery was "bad" and left me stranded, but they replaced it. Gas mileage in the city is only ~25 mpg., much less than I was expecting.

2 years and still loving my Smart
By Belva Hinthorn on 02/09/10 17:43 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I reviewed my Smart 2 years ago just after purchase. 2 years, 10,500 miles later I still love driving it and besides gas, 2 maintenance visits, an armrest I just had installed, and an accessory for the back "trunk" for covered storage, I haven't put an extra dime into it. It still looks like new and is even more fun to drive. On my recent oil change visit, they made the upgrade on the transmission and installed a free battery (due to ? recall)so I'm good for another 5000 miles.It is even peppier now than before the upgrade. I have never regretted buying my Smart and hope to keep it forever. It still gets smiles from other drivers. The only reason to trade it would be for an electric model.

This is such a cool car~!
By D. Martin on 06/19/09 03:15 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo Convertible passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I am a college student who wanted an inexpensive car to get to and from school. This car is so fun to drive, especially with the top rolled down. It gets many stares and many questions. I love everything about it! Obviously this car isn't for everyone. Some people need trucks for work, but for many people like me, this two-seater is perfect. It holds everything I need for my classes and squeezes into tight places when I'm on the hunt for parking. My family owns a Mini Cooper S, and although it leaves the Smart in the dust performance wise, the Smart, for me anyway, is much more entertaining to drive due to it's unique character. Don't expect to be an Indy 500 racer in this car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.