Used 2008 smart fortwo pure Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Most Helpful|
Fun runabout!
By risean

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I find that I get over 40 MPG I have 24,000 miles on the car now and love it. It parks anywhere and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. The car is amazingly stable on the highway and has plenty of space for two and a weekends worth of gear and supplies. I love it and would buy another one.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, drivability, built in safety features. amazingly fun.

Suggested Improvements

I thought about this for a long time and these trivial things are really all i could come up with. The transmission software could be refined sometimes it has a mind of its own, also the sound system could be better, and the brakes pads are very dusty.

Like no other car!
By Gabe

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very enjoyable, and great response from other drivers and people. Lots of smart fans around! I really enjoyed it. I sold it for a VW Golf, that feels like a cruise ship in comparison! The transmission is AWFUL and needs getting used to. Slow and heaving when it shifts gears. Also, it had a bunch of repairs, recalls, bulletins under warranty, that were marvelously and fully and competently addressed by Smart Center Portland. Very safe and fun on the freeway.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, fun to drive. Very well designed. Very comfortable (i'm 6 ft 4!). Exceptional customer care!

Suggested Improvements

Premium gas. Awful transmission. Jiggly, harsh ride. Depreciates very quickly if you buy new! Cheap quality interior. If you want one, get yourself a good used one, with low miles, or negotiate if new. Do NOT pay MSRP!

Smart Car - a Dissappointment
By Walter Martin

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very dissatisfied with our smart car. The transmission is a joke with very rough head snapping gear shifts, which, because there are five gears, seem to happen all the time in city driving. (At one point our transmission failed to be able to go into reverse. The merecedes dealership fixed this for no charge saying there were "thousands of smart cars with the same problem." If thats the case mercedes should do a recall and fix them all.) The suspension is rough with even minor bumps being uncomfortable. The car was so uncontrollable on ice that special winter tires had to be purchased for it. With the winter tires it is about the same as any car on ice with summer tires. Costly mistake

Favorite Features

The fuel economy, while OK is no better than our old 4 door Toyota, which offered a lot greater convenience and capacity. Having to purchase Winter tires wiped out any possible financial savings by fuel economy. There is no spare and no jack making it unsuitable for road trips.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission - get rid of the useless paddle feature. Get a spare tire. Extra internal space would be useful.

impossible to get repaired
By sasha

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Our smart car got hit in an accident. The authorized repair center did not have any of the parts in stock. We waited 6 weeks for parts to come in from Germany. I have never gotten such bad service or waited so long for repairs on a car. I would never buy another Smart Car. They are not yet prepared to enter the American market

Smart Metro Car
By Dan K

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I live in Tucson, AZ and the only hwy driving I've done is to take it 90 miles to Chandler for servicing once a year. Not fun to drive in strong cross winds where everyone wants to drive 85+ mph (limit is 75 mph). Helps to find a mid-sized truck or large van going 75 mph to follow behind. Got 57 mpg on one hwy, 50 mph on my most recent trip (with A/C). Car is perfect for driving around Tucson where hwy travel is limited. The high profile is not great for high wind at high speeds, but it makes getting in and out much easier on the knees. Well worth the trade off for me. Can override auto shifting when needed. Not good with "California stops" as it confuses the auto shift.

Favorite Features

Interior room, fun to drive in town, great fuel economy!

Suggested Improvements

Local dealer for servicing, better insulated roof panel for cooler ride in summer (I may paint my roof a different color than black), paddle shifters on Pure model.