2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
Like no other car!
By Gabe on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very enjoyable, and great response from other drivers and people. Lots of smart fans around! I really enjoyed it. I sold it for a VW Golf, that feels like a cruise ship in comparison! The transmission is AWFUL and needs getting used to. Slow and heaving when it shifts gears. Also, it had a bunch of repairs, recalls, bulletins under warranty, that were marvelously and fully and competently addressed by Smart Center Portland. Very safe and fun on the freeway.

Smart Car - a Dissappointment
By Walter Martin on 09/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very dissatisfied with our smart car. The transmission is a joke with very rough head snapping gear shifts, which, because there are five gears, seem to happen all the time in city driving. (At one point our transmission failed to be able to go into reverse. The merecedes dealership fixed this for no charge saying there were "thousands of smart cars with the same problem." If thats the case mercedes should do a recall and fix them all.) The suspension is rough with even minor bumps being uncomfortable. The car was so uncontrollable on ice that special winter tires had to be purchased for it. With the winter tires it is about the same as any car on ice with summer tires. Costly mistake

Fun runabout!
By risean on 08/31/10 10:17 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I find that I get over 40 MPG I have 24,000 miles on the car now and love it. It parks anywhere and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. The car is amazingly stable on the highway and has plenty of space for two and a weekends worth of gear and supplies. I love it and would buy another one.

Smart Metro Car
By Dan K on 07/25/10 13:10 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I live in Tucson, AZ and the only hwy driving I've done is to take it 90 miles to Chandler for servicing once a year. Not fun to drive in strong cross winds where everyone wants to drive 85+ mph (limit is 75 mph). Helps to find a mid-sized truck or large van going 75 mph to follow behind. Got 57 mpg on one hwy, 50 mph on my most recent trip (with A/C). Car is perfect for driving around Tucson where hwy travel is limited. The high profile is not great for high wind at high speeds, but it makes getting in and out much easier on the knees. Well worth the trade off for me. Can override auto shifting when needed. Not good with "California stops" as it confuses the auto shift.

impossible to get repaired
By sasha on 02/08/10 12:07 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Our smart car got hit in an accident. The authorized repair center did not have any of the parts in stock. We waited 6 weeks for parts to come in from Germany. I have never gotten such bad service or waited so long for repairs on a car. I would never buy another Smart Car. They are not yet prepared to enter the American market

fortwo Hates Winter
By UncyHerb on 02/02/09 19:40 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Skinny front tires and auto trans makes ABS come on with every stop in snow. The rear wheels are always trying to drive forward as you come to a stop, so it's up to the fronts to stop the car AND the motor. I've gotten in the habit of popping it into neutral as I'm stopping. I have no confidence in slippery stopping times. Roads made bumpy by frost heaves and potholes make for a punishingly harsh ride. The suspension must have only a couple of inches of travel because it doesn't take much to jolt the whole car on a bump. But when the roads are dry and smooth it's fun to drive. Nice around town.

You cant be serious
By allan on 08/06/08 09:25 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Transmission is a disaster and you have to be nuts to take the car on the highway. It's cute, but for its size you ought get better mileage. Car is a disappointment and am getting rid of it. People like its looks, which is basically all it has, so its easy to resell.

Expected More
By Raul Montoya on 08/03/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Reading about smarts online I was very excited about the purchase. I had heard tales of astronomical fuel economy and how the EPA numbers were grossly overrated. After owning a smart for several months I can say that this isnít the case. It only gets about 2-3 MPG better than the civic it replaced. It is much slower, doesnít brake as well, doesnít handle as well, and has far less room. The build quality is also dubious with minor trim pieces breaking or feeling very flimsy. For such a small car with such a small engine and so few amenities I feel it should get much better MPG. If you are buying this looking for an ultra fuel saver spend a few dollars more and get a civic/focus/corolla.

Great Little Car!
By Dennis Mau on 05/27/08 23:12 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This is one of the best cars I have ever owned! I am getting 40 to 45 MPG going back and forth to work which is part city and part highway driving. On the highway I am getting 45 to 50 MPG. So the actual mileage if you drive it moderately in automatic mode is much better than the EPA estimates. The car does not feel as small as it is. Very comfortable in all types of weather. Heater and A/C work great. In fact it heats up and cools down much better than regular size cars because there isn't much space to heat and cool! Will easily run 90 MPH on the highway and very smooth and stable at that speed. Handles very good around corners also. Very agile in city traffic. Like driving a go-kart!

Another planet altogether
By Smartgabester on 05/19/08 23:09 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very fun to drive, thrifty, excellent conversation item.The ride is a bit choppy and slow, and the transmission is fickle.I always look forward to driving it, and I consistently get 40mpg.It runs fine in 89 octane MIDGRADE, spiked with 5-10$ of 92 octane premium per tankful. Defective radio, changed under warranty within 5 min. by the dealer. The gas gauge has been a bit whimsical, but worked its own bugs out (healed itself). Catalytic converter hot air pump failed: another 5 min. stop at the dealer for a replacement. The driver's side mirror fuzzes a bit. The starter lock has a personality. Tinny speakers too.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.