Used 2008 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Smart Fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

2008 Smart hatch
By smartguy1

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

My wife and I purchased our smart in 2008, paid way to much. The original dealer dropped it,(like no one knew that was coming) and then went to Mercedes. Other then being treated like a red headed step child by the dealer, probably because this thing is so cheap the car is not bad. It took me a while to get the hang of the herky jerky response, and the A/C stop when you really stomp on the accelerator, which other cars I have had did, so no big deal. I now have 25K miles on it and drive it like you beat a rented mule. No real problems to speak of. I use Royal Purple in it and find that seems to work best for oil. I run with the big dogs on the highway and like it a lot.

Favorite Features

doofas looking car, get a lot of laughs as I am 6'4" at about 200 lbs.

Words Cannot Describe How Much I hate this car
By ihatemysmart

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Since I have owned this car, the battery died within the first year, random pieces of plastic have fallen off, it has had numerous transmission "software" problems that have left me stranded and ready to walk away from it, the engine blew at 23,000 miles, AND NOW it has yet ANOTHER transmission problem that the service department can't figure out -- I can't get it to shift out of Park when it is cold! THIS IS A PROBLEM! I tell everyone I see when I am at the dealership, I tell everyone that ever asks me about it. The guy in the parts department even agreed with me: "Yeah, I have never heard of a car having that many problems in that combination."

Favorite Features

easy parking

Daimler Won't Back
By 1unhappysmarty

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

My 08 smart just turned 50K miles and now I am told that it needs a new engine. Daimler won’t back up their product or even work with me in any way. I am warning social media to consider other auto companies when it comes time to purchase a vehicle.

Favorite Features

I LOVE this car. I really can't imagine driving anything else. I am so heartbroken that a cylinder went out and I need a new engine. The clear roof and roomy interior is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Daimler needs to research how many engines fail.

58000mile valve job
By notsmart

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

58000 miles and had to replace fuel injectors..now it needs a valve job. 58000miles????? are they kidding me. every time i bring it to smart they break something. changed a tire and they broke the sensor. had an oil change and they broke the valve. got it back from service and they forgot to put on the engine cover. now it took them more than 2 hours to diagnose low compression in #2 cylinder..remove engine and try to do a valve job. with out changing the guides. now they want to replace the head because they don't know how to redo the heads. is this on the jobs training with my car. also had the no reverse shift problem in the past. smart does not want to help. buy a new one ..yeah right!

Suggested Improvements

how about owning up to the problems of this car it's only going to get worse. smart????? maybe not so smart

Great car
By jessebkaye

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just downsized from a huge full size sedan to the fortwo and I couldnt be happier. It may be a bit utilitarian in its features but its worth saving $500 a month in gas, is easy to find a space and helps keep life simple. Well worth the purchase, despite the funny looks people give. I'm 6'2 and its surprisingly spacious.

Favorite Features

MPG, simple features, roof height

Suggested Improvements

none really....