2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
2008 Smart hatch
By smartguy1 on 02/23/14 09:50 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

My wife and I purchased our smart in 2008, paid way to much. The original dealer dropped it,(like no one knew that was coming) and then went to Mercedes. Other then being treated like a red headed step child by the dealer, probably because this thing is so cheap the car is not bad. It took me a while to get the hang of the herky jerky response, and the A/C stop when you really stomp on the accelerator, which other cars I have had did, so no big deal. I now have 25K miles on it and drive it like you beat a rented mule. No real problems to speak of. I use Royal Purple in it and find that seems to work best for oil. I run with the big dogs on the highway and like it a lot.

Words Cannot Describe How Much I hate this car
By ihatemysmart on 01/30/14 19:53 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Since I have owned this car, the battery died within the first year, random pieces of plastic have fallen off, it has had numerous transmission "software" problems that have left me stranded and ready to walk away from it, the engine blew at 23,000 miles, AND NOW it has yet ANOTHER transmission problem that the service department can't figure out -- I can't get it to shift out of Park when it is cold! THIS IS A PROBLEM! I tell everyone I see when I am at the dealership, I tell everyone that ever asks me about it. The guy in the parts department even agreed with me: "Yeah, I have never heard of a car having that many problems in that combination."

Daimler Won't Back
By 1unhappysmarty on 12/09/12 14:19 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

My 08 smart just turned 50K miles and now I am told that it needs a new engine. Daimler wonÂ’t back up their product or even work with me in any way. I am warning social media to consider other auto companies when it comes time to purchase a vehicle.

58000mile valve job
By notsmart on 04/18/12 16:34 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

58000 miles and had to replace fuel injectors..now it needs a valve job. 58000miles????? are they kidding me. every time i bring it to smart they break something. changed a tire and they broke the sensor. had an oil change and they broke the valve. got it back from service and they forgot to put on the engine cover. now it took them more than 2 hours to diagnose low compression in #2 cylinder..remove engine and try to do a valve job. with out changing the guides. now they want to replace the head because they don't know how to redo the heads. is this on the jobs training with my car. also had the no reverse shift problem in the past. smart does not want to help. buy a new one ..yeah right!

Great car
By jessebkaye on 03/23/12 07:07 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I just downsized from a huge full size sedan to the fortwo and I couldnt be happier. It may be a bit utilitarian in its features but its worth saving $500 a month in gas, is easy to find a space and helps keep life simple. Well worth the purchase, despite the funny looks people give. I'm 6'2 and its surprisingly spacious.

Stupid Car!
By clins on 01/22/12 17:31 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Had issues from almost day 1. Went through a small puddle during rain storm - caused the passenger seat airbag light to go on. Has never turned off. Barely touch the key while it's in ignition it will turn the engine off. Completely unsafe when you are driving. Had it happen a few times (dog touched it). Have repeated issue with the engine not wanting to go into gear, especially reverse. Don't want to even attempt to do a u-turn because it might not go into R and you are stuck in middle of road. Goes through phases. Works for a few weeks then it doesn't. Someone suggested rain might affect it. Battery dies often too. I live on an island & to ship it over costs $400. Have not seen dealer.

horn & door problems lies on extended warranty
By kulumao on 11/08/11 15:26 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my 2008 Smart passiion. I have less than 12000 miles on it. The first time i had to use the horn, it does not work, the plastic part on the door hinge is missing. I bought a platinum ext warranty at the time and was told it covered bumper to bumper for 5 years. Now they told me the horn problem is not covered and the door hinge missing part is not covered either. what a rip off, never buy any ext warranty from mercedes benz again. I won't touch any MB either, Lexus gave much better service and had no problems.

I hate this car so much...
By foxmajik on 04/11/11 12:16 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I've had to take this car in for work more than my used '92 Mazda Protege. For various reasons, from plastic pieces falling off the interior to the air dam in the front snapping off and dragging on the freeway. The gas mileage is atrocious for a car this small (around 25 mpg). The transmission is a confused and nervous little curmudgeon that can't decide what gear it wants to be in when you're under 15 mph and keeps jumping back and forth between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Every time the gear shifts the car lurches back and lunges forward like I've slammed on the brakes. And this is normal for smart cars, every one I've been in does it, even after having the transmission firmware upgraded.

2008 Piece of Junk
By dispshannon on 02/10/11 16:46 PM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I purchased this vehicle new and within 1 year was having trouble with the transmission ...Wont go into reverse. Dealership says nothing wrong. 1 year later..NO WARRANTY and now it wont go into reverse or forward. How do you drive a car that wont do forward or reverse..YOU DONT...

Don't buy a 2008 dealer buyback = LEMON
By Cindy on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Really disappointed with this car. Yes it's fun to drive, great to put the top down, and yes its cute- however when I went to trade it in- it turns out that a dealer buy back = LEMON in the car world. Thus- hideous trade in value. Shame on you Annapolis Smart- Mercedes. Buy back = Lemon- run don't walk from the 2008- check the title history, if you see dealer buy back look elsewhere unless you plan on keeping it forever.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.