A fun, economical, and reliable car. (Stereo rocks too!)
By bubba_hotep on
2012 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
My wifes 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe recently died (transmission) so we were in the market for a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle. We took the Toyota Yaris (VERY small, no cargo room, lacking features) Honda Fit (Lots of cargo space but interior was *meh*, ugly exterior and overpriced) Nissan Versa (JUNK!) and Chevy Sonic (not bad, sporty but $20K was too much) for test drives. A co-worker suggested the xD. I took her 2009 for a spin and loved it. Went to the dealer the next day and bought a 2012 xD base (auto). Paid $15,500 out the door, exactly what I wanted to spend. A month later, this car has 1K miles on it and is sipping gas (avg. 33mpg) and the wife loves it. Handles well in the rain too!
Favorite Features
Sporty look. Tight handling. Convienient interior. Stock stereo system is second to none. Great on gas. Wheel mounted audio controls, cruise control, remote entry and power windows/locks are standard options. Sliding/reclining back seats. I'm 5' 11" and the front seats offer plenty of leg room, comfortable in the rear seats too. Did I mention: look at all of those STANDARD features?! It's a Toyota!
Suggested Improvements
Cargo space could be improved upon. 35.7 cu. ft. with the back seats folded isn't that much room. If you need to haul large items...you shouldn't be looking at subcompacts! Also, a center armrest should be standard equipment...not a dealer installed option. The bumper-to-bumper warranty should be 5yr/60k miles. 3yr/36k miles seems awfully short.
By bubba_hotep
on 03/17/13 10:48 AM (PDT)

When I went to the dealer I had a "Blank Check" from Capital One Auto Finance...this helped with negotiating because they treated me like a cash customer. Scion is a "no negotiation" brand, but instead of dropping the MSRP, I had them over-value my trade-in (The 2001 Hyundai Santa-Fe). KBB on the Santa Fe trade in was about $1500. I had them give me roughly $3,000 in trade to get the price down to $15,500. Moral of the story: Dealership WILL negotiate the trade value, not the MSRP.