Used 2012 Scion xD Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Scion Xd - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:

One Word: Disappointed
By 2012scionxd

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My first Toyota product, my first foreign-built car. I expected a well-built, well-designed car backed up by good service from the dealership. Wrong! Insanely noisy (Scions have no radio till dealer puts it in after you buy, so you test drive without one, thought radio would drowned out road noise but again- wrong!), uncomfortable driving position. Fuel-economy meter very inaccurate, speaker vibrates, clutch impossible to operate smoothly: dealer refuses to admit car has problems. 17,000 miles/ 18 months later and still no repairs- thank God I leased this thing, can't wait to turn it in. Best advice: dealer should let you take it for a day-long test drive with radio installed!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, roominess, features for the price

Suggested Improvements

Added sound insulation, telescopic steering wheel, a clutch that actually works, fix the awkward driving position, a less arrogant dealership.

Happy Times with My XD.
By oceanskyd

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My great little XD now has 14,000 miles. The factory tires became very noisy, so I replaced them early on with 215/55/16 size. I couldn't ask for a better ride. The engine and transmission are more than adequate around town, and cruising on the freeway is a joy. The Corolla sourced powertrain means a carefree 200K plus miles. I should know, I traded in a Corolla that had 215,000 miles on it; started every morning without fail, and did not burn oil. I love my XD. The look is unique, the driving experience is fun.

Favorite Features

Exterior style, high seating position, powertrain, handling (with 215/55/16 tires). A/C cools very well. Most of the switch gear is smooth, and feels quality. My fuel economy is 28 mpg city, and 35 highway. This is just a great little car to drive everyday, for many, many years to come.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is way to big for a small car, HVAC control knobs do not have a smooth quality feel.

Almost 6000 Miles and lovin it more and more!
By katelovely

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got my little baby October 3rd 2012 brand new from the dealer with 16 miles on it. The xD had been one of my top choices over the previous year I'd been car hunting. It was between this and the Kia Rio hatchback. My reason for choosing this one? It comes with EVERYTHING most other cars charge an arm and a leg for and it's a Toyota, it'll run for ages. Being my first car ( well first bought) I really wanted the best bang for my buck. It's not anything fancy, the interior is ultra basic but it has everything I need! The get up and go surprised me! I have no troubles getting around slow cars if needed! Also, In city I'm averaging 31mpg! On long drives I get about 37!!

Favorite Features

Cold air! Power windows mirrors and locks! My last car was entirely manual! The mpg, comfort and the speakers are pretty wonderful for basic speakers!!

Suggested Improvements

It makes me uncomfortable that there is no temperature gauge on the dash. I really would like one, also having an outside temp could be beneficial. That's one feature I enjoyed on the Fiesta and the Fit. Standard tint might be good or optional add ons! As well as more seat movement functions! I can't raise or lower ,y seat! Aside from that, good job Scion!!!

very bumpy and cheap car.
By derek7d

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It looks really nice inside and out. I've been driving it for 2 years now. The engine became much noisier, it wasn't ever quiet. Very bumpy. You can feel and hear anything on the road. The fuel economy is also poor. I am getting 25 MPG driving highway and city. I've noticed additional noise coming from front wheels. I went to dealership. They don't hear anything of course, the want to fix it after the warranty expires, so they can charge for it big money. I would not recommend it to any of my friends or family member. I don't predict it to last long without costly repairs.

Favorite Features

Tracking and stability controls, stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Ride comfort, engine noise, install day running lights, automatic on/off lights ( if you forget to torn them off the battery will discharge)

A fun, economical, and reliable car. (Stereo rocks too!)
By bubba_hotep

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wifes 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe recently died (transmission) so we were in the market for a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle. We took the Toyota Yaris (VERY small, no cargo room, lacking features) Honda Fit (Lots of cargo space but interior was *meh*, ugly exterior and overpriced) Nissan Versa (JUNK!) and Chevy Sonic (not bad, sporty but $20K was too much) for test drives. A co-worker suggested the xD. I took her 2009 for a spin and loved it. Went to the dealer the next day and bought a 2012 xD base (auto). Paid $15,500 out the door, exactly what I wanted to spend. A month later, this car has 1K miles on it and is sipping gas (avg. 33mpg) and the wife loves it. Handles well in the rain too!

Favorite Features

Sporty look. Tight handling. Convienient interior. Stock stereo system is second to none. Great on gas. Wheel mounted audio controls, cruise control, remote entry and power windows/locks are standard options. Sliding/reclining back seats. I'm 5' 11" and the front seats offer plenty of leg room, comfortable in the rear seats too. Did I mention: look at all of those STANDARD features?! It's a Toyota!

Suggested Improvements

Cargo space could be improved upon. 35.7 cu. ft. with the back seats folded isn't that much room. If you need to haul large items...you shouldn't be looking at subcompacts! Also, a center armrest should be standard equipment...not a dealer installed option. The bumper-to-bumper warranty should be 5yr/60k miles. 3yr/36k miles seems awfully short.