2012 Scion xD Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:
One Word: Disappointed
By 2012scionxd on 04/16/14 07:40 AM (PDT)

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My first Toyota product, my first foreign-built car. I expected a well-built, well-designed car backed up by good service from the dealership. Wrong! Insanely noisy (Scions have no radio till dealer puts it in after you buy, so you test drive without one, thought radio would drowned out road noise but again- wrong!), uncomfortable driving position. Fuel-economy meter very inaccurate, speaker vibrates, clutch impossible to operate smoothly: dealer refuses to admit car has problems. 17,000 miles/ 18 months later and still no repairs- thank God I leased this thing, can't wait to turn it in. Best advice: dealer should let you take it for a day-long test drive with radio installed!

Happy Times with My XD.
By oceanskyd on 06/01/13 19:34 PM (PDT)

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My great little XD now has 14,000 miles. The factory tires became very noisy, so I replaced them early on with 215/55/16 size. I couldn't ask for a better ride. The engine and transmission are more than adequate around town, and cruising on the freeway is a joy. The Corolla sourced powertrain means a carefree 200K plus miles. I should know, I traded in a Corolla that had 215,000 miles on it; started every morning without fail, and did not burn oil. I love my XD. The look is unique, the driving experience is fun.

Almost 6000 Miles and lovin it more and more!
By katelovely on 03/07/13 17:21 PM (PST)

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got my little baby October 3rd 2012 brand new from the dealer with 16 miles on it. The xD had been one of my top choices over the previous year I'd been car hunting. It was between this and the Kia Rio hatchback. My reason for choosing this one? It comes with EVERYTHING most other cars charge an arm and a leg for and it's a Toyota, it'll run for ages. Being my first car ( well first bought) I really wanted the best bang for my buck. It's not anything fancy, the interior is ultra basic but it has everything I need! The get up and go surprised me! I have no troubles getting around slow cars if needed! Also, In city I'm averaging 31mpg! On long drives I get about 37!!

very bumpy and cheap car.
By derek7d on 02/20/13 04:33 AM (PST)

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It looks really nice inside and out. I've been driving it for 2 years now. The engine became much noisier, it wasn't ever quiet. Very bumpy. You can feel and hear anything on the road. The fuel economy is also poor. I am getting 25 MPG driving highway and city. I've noticed additional noise coming from front wheels. I went to dealership. They don't hear anything of course, the want to fix it after the warranty expires, so they can charge for it big money. I would not recommend it to any of my friends or family member. I don't predict it to last long without costly repairs.

A fun, economical, and reliable car. (Stereo rocks too!)
By bubba_hotep on 08/23/12 09:16 AM (PDT)

2012 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wifes 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe recently died (transmission) so we were in the market for a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle. We took the Toyota Yaris (VERY small, no cargo room, lacking features) Honda Fit (Lots of cargo space but interior was *meh*, ugly exterior and overpriced) Nissan Versa (JUNK!) and Chevy Sonic (not bad, sporty but $20K was too much) for test drives. A co-worker suggested the xD. I took her 2009 for a spin and loved it. Went to the dealer the next day and bought a 2012 xD base (auto). Paid $15,500 out the door, exactly what I wanted to spend. A month later, this car has 1K miles on it and is sipping gas (avg. 33mpg) and the wife loves it. Handles well in the rain too!

So far, LOVE this car...
By bluecub78 on 03/09/12 13:55 PM (PST)

2012 Scion xD Hatchback Release Series 4.0 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Only had this car less than a month, but so far it's awesome! I did have to ding the build quality a bit though in the rating due to a sad discovery where the new Scion Premium Audio System (new for 2012) appears to not work with the SiriusXM. Scion Corporate in California is now aware and is working on it personally. Problem is only limited to the Release Series tho, so be rest assured it will work in a Base xD. As for the rest of the car, LOVE the way it drives and feels. It feels so good around tight turns and contrary to what some others might say, I find the seats quite comfortable and supportive. A little anemic uphill, but otherwise, a zippy ride. All around, I would recommend it!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Scion xD Hatchback in VA is:

$146 per month*