Used 2011 Scion xD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Scion xD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Excellent Car Especially Considering the Price
By b_mac1

2011 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We've had our xD about 1.5 years now. We traded in a Dodge Durango that was bleeding us dry. I was looking for a basic econo-box to use as a commuter vehicle. This car has far exceeded our expectations. At 15K there have been no issues, just regular oil changes and a tire rotation. We get frequent compliments on the appearance - it doesn't look like a cheap car. We average 32-33 MPG in suburban driving, but have hit 40 with careful driving on the highway!

I like the strong, economical engine and the well laid out interior (it does not have guages in the center or the dash). The steering wheel audio controls are nice.

The interior materials feel a little cheap - especially compared to our 2000 Honda. The trip computer control (which I am surprised it even has) is inconveniently placed. Maybe fancier standard wheel covers.

Excellent value and fun to drive
By shivas1

2011 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned a 2011 xD for approximately 6 months now. We are averaging 34mpg. with a variety of in town and over the road driving. I think that the passenger room is better than either the Fit or the Fiesta. Sitting in the rear is excellent, and better than either of these competitors. Those cars were cramped compared to the xD. I am 6 ft. and 185lbs. The front seat contours are sweet and hold you in place firmly during turns. The iPod feature runs seemlessly with the radio from the steering wheel controls. Suspension is a bit stiff, but it has a sport feel to it that way. We have the 5 spd manual and really like it. I am looking forward to how it drives in our Wisconsin winter.

Front seat comfort and space. Style and look of the vehicle. Back seat multi function. Gas mileage for sure.

Interior color options. Larger window in the rear.

9 on a 1-10 scale
By biscuitbasket

2011 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a new Scion XD after looking at the Ford Focus and Kia Soul. After giving it a thorough test, I have found the XD to be an excellent value for the money. It has good power for the relatively smallish engine, excellent handling (especially after installing new 17" wheels), and a relatively quiet, comfortable ride for a small car. The aspect I like most about this car is the ability to customize just about anything on it which gives me the ability to differentiate it from all the others on the road. Compared to the other two cars I test drove, the Scion fared better in power and performance to the Soul and looks, price, and customiziation to the Focus.

The stock stereo is good but an upgrade to an Alpine (aftermarket) system made a huge difference. Gas milage is excellent (average around 33mpg). Good cargo space with the rear seats folded down. Has a sporty feel to it in city driving while also handling high speeds well. Recommended upgrades: 17" wheels and performance tires (aftermarket- the factory custom wheels are lame), Rear spoiler (aftermarket- the factory spoiler is way overpriced), Gear shift knob (stock knob feels terrible), Mudguards (should come on every car) Typical of Toyota made cars, adding just about any accessory is easy to do.

The all black interior is a bit much- would it kill Toyota to make something a color other than balck? At speeds above 45mph, the interior cabin has bad wind flutter when the windows are down. This can be corrected by opening one of the back windows. Accessories to be avoided: TRD brake pads- no real difference over the stock pads. TRD suspension package (for hard core enthusiast only). Center armrest is useless in manual transmission cars. Auto dimming mirror- use the money to tint the windows instead. BLU Logic Hands free system- this is available on just about any good aftermarket radio head unit. Satellite radio package- again is available on any good aftermarket radio for alot less.

Nice Little Car
By paul_blood

2011 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have only owned my little xD for two months and 1500 miles so this isnt a long term review. The car has plenty of power and handles well for its price range. I am averaging 30 mpg driving about 40% city, 60% hwy. I love pulling up at the gas pump, asking for $10 and watching the fuel gauge go up 1/3rd of a tank.

The fuel mileage! Traded a mini van in for this car and I really enjoy the 30 mpg. Build quality. The seats, doors, and plastics just feel nicely built-designed.

A less complicated stereo. I had to read the manual to figure out how to fade the speakers. More visibility to the rear. You cant see anything behind you. Adjustable drivers seat height. My wife's 2010 Focus does. Surprised the Xd doesnt. Four wheel disc brakes. Drum brakes on a 2011 car seems insane. Feature like Sync on our Ford. Toyota needs to offer something similar.