2009 Scion xD Consumer Review: PUG-nacious

2009 Scion xD - Consumer Review

PUG-nacious
By jowlyjawlessone on

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Some say "bulldog". I say "pug". Some say "entry level". I say "downsizer". Nimble "runabout", says Consumer Reports. "Most reliable in class" got my attention. Scion for the kids? If we already have experience and established identity and we forget the extras (really unnecessary with such a complete list of standard features) the xD has real value. Throw in Toyota quality. Dependable point A to B with a good dose of personality. For me it was dump a clunker, a great, old gas sucking Pathfinder SE. I'm glad I found the xD. This little "pug" is going to do me well for a graceful, long-term, downsizing glide. And with luck a smooth landing. As is said, "May you live in interesting times."

Saw the dash as juvenile at first but I've come to see it's logic. I like the "sit-up" position. 5-speed is smooth and direct and coupled with such a surprisingly torque flexible engine makes slightly close gear ratios acceptable (OK, 5th might be a little longer). Hyper-milers rejoice! (don't lug)

Road noise. A lot gets sent up through the tires. Radial design? Hoping for improvement at replacement time. Would like more tire options for stock rims. Ride too firm for long, fast trips? Rest stop. Sheet metal gauge a little thin? I'm sure no different than any car maker squeezing gas mileage.