Used 2009 Scion xD Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Scion Xd - Consumer Reviews

2009 Scion xD Hatchback

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Xd save me lots of $$$
By kmpennington

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Tottally worth the money!!! I have the 2009 model, I drove to Kingsport TN from Hudson, NC...all mountain terrain and still got a whopping 33 mpg...I do have the 5speed though. I loved the way it drives and that it fills up for 40.00. I would drive my scion anywhere short distance or long distance.

Favorite Features

I like how the scion sits, not like a sports car but more like a small suv. Additionnally the gas mileage! I went from driving a Lincoln Navigator to the scion, and am tottally STOKED! I also love the stereo and how the controls are on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

The seating could have more options in the driver and passenger side. Go up or down...something there is only 1 seating setting and that is it. Also, better speakers in the back awesome stereo but NOT awesome sound. I am thinking about upgrading my sound system.

Scion xD makes me : D
By vpilot

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking for a small affordable car that got great mileage, with a good amount of flexible space, and was built to last. We compared the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa. The Versa was a distant third in price, performance, interior, and exterior. The Fit was second in price and more mundane without the costly sport package. After one year and 20,000 miles we couldn't be happier with our decision. In addition to exceeding all the above expectations, the xD is also fun to drive, has great std features we learned to love, great dealer service, and gets lots of positive attention because it doesn't seem to be as run of the mill as some the competitors. Low fixed price policy is great too

Favorite Features

Mileage: Best 49. Worst 35. Flexible interior. Spacious. We call it a micro van. Stereo jacks for Ipod and MP3 Large climate controls. Convenient cup holders. Cool tachometer/speedometer! Good basic computer instrumentation mpg, range, trip meters, etc. Free oil changes for the warranty period.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are uncomfortable for long trips Clutch could be better, it's amazingly easy to kill on takeoff. It humbles everyone. Base tires wear quickly, poor dry traction, terrible winter traction. Do they expect everyone to add custom wheels and tires?

Great Car for the $
By Paul

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Xd for 1 year. It is better than I expected. Fun to drive, economical and practical - it is all those things. It handles very well on the mountain roads I often drive. I put a rack on it and I carry bikes, skis and kayaks with no problems. There is plenty of room for a small car and the interior is well designed. The list of standard features is impressive. The engine compartment is clean and everything is very easy to get at - oil dipstick, washer reservoir, etc. This car delivers what is promised - a high value car that is a little sporty, very practical and pretty cool. Great car!

Favorite Features

Sound system, larger wheels, good gas mileage, responsive motor, styling

Suggested Improvements

I would get the handling package with the sway bar - this car likes to scoot around on twisty roads, so you need the extra control.

Fun to drive & great mileage
By Carol

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have only had the Xd a few days. Did a clunker trade in. Bought the Wasabi Green Release series in the manual transmission. First tank of gas averaged 37.6, mostly highway at 70-75 mph. Refueled, and then got 44 mpg at 60 mph on the highway, carrying 2 adults and 3 children. Very fun to drive, accelerates very quickly and nimble handling. Eye catching design and color. Was able to carry myself, 2 children, a dog, and a bike inside. A bit tight, but it worked. Yakima makes a roof mount bike rack for this car, and I will probably get that in the spring. So far, we are really enjoying the car.

Favorite Features

Navigation with all the audio goodies. Great mileage. Love how quick it accelerates and how it handles. Rear seat configurations are great for hauling dogs and cargo, even a bike.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest (I will probably have the after market one installed) Road noise is significant, but not unexpected for this size of car.

I like my xD
By Superhawk

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought xD using Cash for Clunkers. My 1998 Ford Windstar had 218,535 miles and was the best vehicle out of 45 I have owned. I also drove the Honda Fit and Insight. Have 1,000 miles on xD now. Overall, I am very pleased. Decided at last minute to get the 5 speed manual. It was a great decision as I prefer controlling when shifts occur. The car has enough power for most situations. The engine is very smooth and quiet. Road noise is not an issue. The transmission shifts very well. The handling is tight and the brakes are good. My gas mileage went from 18 mpg in the Windstar to 31 mpg (mostly to and from work) and I drive fairly aggressively

Favorite Features

I like shifting the car best. Mine has a nice (upgraded) stereo. I like the bright red paint and the bulldog appearance. The spoiler makes it look a bit sportier.

Suggested Improvements

Don't roll either rear window down while driving. Like most cars, it roars and buffets the interior. I'd like another 20-30 HP but not at the expense of gas mileage. I had a couple of minor (factory problem) paint issues - touched up one. Put the oil filter in a metal housing like most cars.