Used 2009 Scion xD Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Scion Xd - Consumer Reviews

2009 Scion xD Hatchback

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Seats hurt lower back
By chadsurfer8

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The car is great over all. but ...... - major problem is the front seats hurt my lower back after 30 min or more drives. the lower back support has a hard bar that hurts. like a fold out couch sofa that has a bar going through the cushion in the middle. The lower cushion is not big enough and leaves my legs hanging. No adjustment for leg height. I am 5'9'' and 170 lbs girls may not have this problem. i just replaced the seats yesterday with$500 TC seats set - fast for economy car. - i get 26 city and 32 hwy, i drive a little fast - great quality, just the sun visor has a line looks unfinished - Great look inside and out. - small like a SUV that was shrunk down. - cargo good

Favorite Features

- Looks inside and out. - Dash and great Radio - Great MPG 29AVG - power windows, locks, keyless entry. - fold down back seats. - really easy to park so small. - has a clock

Suggested Improvements

- when seats fold flat the gap is filled with a cheep piece of cardboard, the gap should be filled with the seats and not a piece of cardboard. and go flat to the floor not raised up. (honda Fit has this) - ipod connecter should be USB and not a wired cord for the ipod. And the ipod should be able to be charged when you are connected to the Radio, it will not charge currently. (Pionner has radios that do this) - add more adjustments to seat like a lumbar support, lumbar support adjustment, leg height adjustment, (Scion TC seats have leg adjust only on driver side). - add a telescoping steering wheel. (toyota prius has this) -add outside temp gage. (a lot of cars have this)

Xd save me lots of $$$
By kmpennington

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Tottally worth the money!!! I have the 2009 model, I drove to Kingsport TN from Hudson, NC...all mountain terrain and still got a whopping 33 mpg...I do have the 5speed though. I loved the way it drives and that it fills up for 40.00. I would drive my scion anywhere short distance or long distance.

Favorite Features

I like how the scion sits, not like a sports car but more like a small suv. Additionnally the gas mileage! I went from driving a Lincoln Navigator to the scion, and am tottally STOKED! I also love the stereo and how the controls are on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

The seating could have more options in the driver and passenger side. Go up or down...something there is only 1 seating setting and that is it. Also, better speakers in the back awesome stereo but NOT awesome sound. I am thinking about upgrading my sound system.

Owned mine for awhile...
By fitzpatrick925

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I haven't seen anyone review who's owned their xD for a while. I bought mine brand new in December 2008. (I remember some of the reviews I see here from my research!) I test drove both the xD and the Honda Fit the same day. I was not impressed with the Fit, and fell in love with the xD after I made a right hand turn out of the dealership-the car takes turns beautifully. Since then, the performance has remained steady-surviving long trips and daily commutes. It's run excellently and has only had oil changes thus far. I just had my first problem today-the car wouldn't start-going into the dealership tomorrow. I wish it did a little better in snow/ice-it's kind of wimpy. Otherwise, love.

Favorite Features

I-Pod conection Radio Controls on the Steering Wheel Gas Mileage Hatchback/Storage

Suggested Improvements

Better control on slippery roads

Air Conditioner Drains into Vehicle
By JRN

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The vehicle is made w/o a filter and debris clogged my air conditioner drain twice. $600 later times 2, I'm getting rid of it. I don't care to have the condensation from the air conditioner draining on my feet!

Clunker Replacement
By Whitney

2009 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I work for a Toyota/Scion dealership and was the first person dealership- wide to trade in a car (RIP 1986 Mercury Cougar) under the Cash For Clunkers program. I was REALLY attached to my Cougar and the whole experience was heartbreaking, and it took me a while to bond with the xD. But don't let my ridiculous emotions sway you: the xD is an awesome little car. My purchase was between it and the Yaris S, and it blew the Yaris out of the water on so many levels. And to put on my sales hat for a second, this thing has loads of standard features, plenty of space, ample peppiness (I've never owned a 4cyl before and that was a concern, no problem though) and legendary Toyota Quality. Just buy one.

Favorite Features

Bumpin' standard stereo, iPod connectivity, steering wheel audio controls, fun styling, customizations abound, gorgeous color (Nautical Blue, baby), easy to park (I have no depth perception), seems to hold its own in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

I sprung for the center armrest and it's shoddily constructed, plus the way it attaches is ridiculous. I wish there was a cool pop-out cupholder on the driver's side, too.