2009 Scion xD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:
Xd save me lots of $$$
By kmpennington on 11/15/11 07:55 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Tottally worth the money!!! I have the 2009 model, I drove to Kingsport TN from Hudson, NC...all mountain terrain and still got a whopping 33 mpg...I do have the 5speed though. I loved the way it drives and that it fills up for 40.00. I would drive my scion anywhere short distance or long distance.

Scion xD makes me : D
By vpilot on 11/18/09 22:47 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking for a small affordable car that got great mileage, with a good amount of flexible space, and was built to last. We compared the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa. The Versa was a distant third in price, performance, interior, and exterior. The Fit was second in price and more mundane without the costly sport package. After one year and 20,000 miles we couldn't be happier with our decision. In addition to exceeding all the above expectations, the xD is also fun to drive, has great std features we learned to love, great dealer service, and gets lots of positive attention because it doesn't seem to be as run of the mill as some the competitors. Low fixed price policy is great too

Great Car for the $
By Paul on 10/30/09 06:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Xd for 1 year. It is better than I expected. Fun to drive, economical and practical - it is all those things. It handles very well on the mountain roads I often drive. I put a rack on it and I carry bikes, skis and kayaks with no problems. There is plenty of room for a small car and the interior is well designed. The list of standard features is impressive. The engine compartment is clean and everything is very easy to get at - oil dipstick, washer reservoir, etc. This car delivers what is promised - a high value car that is a little sporty, very practical and pretty cool. Great car!

Fun to drive & great mileage
By Carol on 09/15/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have only had the Xd a few days. Did a clunker trade in. Bought the Wasabi Green Release series in the manual transmission. First tank of gas averaged 37.6, mostly highway at 70-75 mph. Refueled, and then got 44 mpg at 60 mph on the highway, carrying 2 adults and 3 children. Very fun to drive, accelerates very quickly and nimble handling. Eye catching design and color. Was able to carry myself, 2 children, a dog, and a bike inside. A bit tight, but it worked. Yakima makes a roof mount bike rack for this car, and I will probably get that in the spring. So far, we are really enjoying the car.

I like my xD
By Superhawk on 09/06/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought xD using Cash for Clunkers. My 1998 Ford Windstar had 218,535 miles and was the best vehicle out of 45 I have owned. I also drove the Honda Fit and Insight. Have 1,000 miles on xD now. Overall, I am very pleased. Decided at last minute to get the 5 speed manual. It was a great decision as I prefer controlling when shifts occur. The car has enough power for most situations. The engine is very smooth and quiet. Road noise is not an issue. The transmission shifts very well. The handling is tight and the brakes are good. My gas mileage went from 18 mpg in the Windstar to 31 mpg (mostly to and from work) and I drive fairly aggressively

I love it too
By formerHondaowner on 09/05/09 15:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for a year now, bought no extras except the pioneer radio. I had wanted to stick with Honda, but their options were limited. This ended up being the whole package for me ... looks nice, fun to drive, and great for growing into when we start our family. I was extremely surprised by it's pep and how roomy it was inside. Best of all, it gets WAY better MPG than sticker shows ... I get between 33 and 37 mpg Hwy depending on how I drive (and 75mph is my minimum). I've had 3 Hondas previously and wanted to another, but this car beat out anything Honda had to offer in my book!

PUG-nacious
By jowlyjawlessone on 08/10/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Some say "bulldog". I say "pug". Some say "entry level". I say "downsizer". Nimble "runabout", says Consumer Reports. "Most reliable in class" got my attention. Scion for the kids? If we already have experience and established identity and we forget the extras (really unnecessary with such a complete list of standard features) the xD has real value. Throw in Toyota quality. Dependable point A to B with a good dose of personality. For me it was dump a clunker, a great, old gas sucking Pathfinder SE. I'm glad I found the xD. This little "pug" is going to do me well for a graceful, long-term, downsizing glide. And with luck a smooth landing. As is said, "May you live in interesting times."

xD 2.0: tons of features, fun
By ArmywifeMo on 08/03/09 16:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

New owner but will try to post later with more info on performance, reliability, fuel economy. Long-legged passengers had ample room in the back seat, super fun to drive, much more spacious than it looks from the outside, still learning all the special features in the 2.0. Compared the Honda Fit base model (manual), the xD auto, & the xD manual; best handling & value by far with my car. A very style/brand conscious friend raved how my xD had more features than his recently purchased Lexus (but at the end of the day, he still has a "Lexus"...whatever I still have $6k to spend on other things!). Cross country road trip and baby on the way; the xD is read for the challenge!

Very pleased !!
By D.B on 07/27/09 19:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a sporty, efficient yet practical car. I would highly recommend it. The manual tranny gives more of a driving experience. Accessories are hard to get at an affordable price. Responsive steering and handling. In my opinion has plenty of power. It gets up to speed quickly. Has way more options than the competition, I.E. ABS brakes, power door/windows, etc. By far the best value out there.

In a double rollover!
By Kerry on 06/25/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

T-boned (broadsided,) out of state, rolled twice, wrapped around a light pole. No broken bones! No broken windows!?!?! What a sturdy little beast.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Scion xD in VA is:

$112 per month*