2008 Scion xD Consumer Review: Great little car

2008 Scion xD - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Great little car
By Carl on

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Two months into ownership and we are extremely pleased with the xD. We wanted something that would replace our Toyota Tacoma, which had given us wonderful reliability for 110,000 miles but the 23 mpg was killing me when I drove it for work (my cheap employer who still thinks gas costs $1.20 a gallon pays only 20 cents per mile). I drove the Yaris 4 dr and liked it very much but did not like the auto transmission and the lack of a hatchback. The Scion was just the ticket, exactly what I wanted. I rode the fence between this and the Fit, but I like the bigger tires and higher ride on this and the great stereo system. Best of all is the gas mileage. 44mp on the freeway!

Favorite Features

44 MPG on the Interstate. That's driving 55 mph, not 70, at which point it drops to around 38 mph. If you are willing to drive sensibly and take your time, this little gal will save you some money at the pump. The iPod dock is great, but the stereo seems a little wimpy on power.

Suggested Improvements

There is a flaw in the body design that worries me since we live in a high-salt area. A well is behind the tires where mud accumulates, as will salt and ice. This will cause premature corrosion. The cargo space could be bigger, but for passengers, there is plenty of room and its comfortable.