Used 2008 Scion xD Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion xD Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Perfection.
By MaxM

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I was first looking at cars to buy I was trying to find an SUV. I wanted a vehicle that I could put stuff in the back of (home depot trips, etc.). Unfortunately, gas shot up to like $4 a gallon that day so I got rid of the SUV idea. After a lot of researching and reviewing, i went with the xD for its gas mileage, fold- down back seats (my friend and I can finagle our mountain bikes in there and trips to home depot are no problem), a low price tag, and the Toyota built engine. I've had the car about 6 months now and i couldn't be happier. It's definitely got some pep to it when you hit the gas, too. Good for light stuff, just don't expect to do any heavy hauling.

Fold-down back seats, gas mileage, reliable, ballsy for a small car, lots of cup holders!, and lots of options to customize it when you buy it and a hell of a lot of aftermarket parts. Oh and it's got a good amount of space: I'm 6', 245 lbs and I feel really comfortable driving it.

It'd be nice to squeeze a little more MPG out of it. If i take it easy for a week I'll get 33 mpg; if i really hammer it, 26 mpg; on average, 29 mpg.

Scion xD Good Choice
By wendy

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I am completely satisfied with my Scion xD. I purchased a 2008 xD in May 2008 because I commute 140 miles round trip. The xD has all the air bags, ABS and cruise control standard unlike some other small cars I looked at (Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit). My commute is half open freeway and half stop and go freeway. My fuel efficiency averages 35 MPG during the summer with the AC on all the time. I expect it to go up in the fall and winter. The xD is comfortable although the seats could be a little cushier. I think the gauges are well placed. Not having an arm rest doesn't bother me. Main drawback is blocking the sun from the door window. The sun visor doesn't have an extension.

Odometer features, average MPG and miles left on this tank of gas are my favorites Stereo controls on steering wheel cruise control lots of cup holders and storage cubbies Good air flow vents

Sun visor extension to block sun completely from door window

Fun car but fuel eco. not what expected
By jpowell

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was my wife's first new car. We bought it because of the look, the navigation system, but mostly because of the "expected" great fuel economy. I don't have much to say about the design besides that there should be an arm rest and it is crazy that the nav system doesn't allow you to use some of the options when the car is moving. The only real disappointment is the gas mileage. I read many reviews that stated 30+ and much more on trips. We have never seen anything better than 26-27/gallon city or highway or some combination. I know it's not way off, but I was planning to see better than what we are getting.

Navigation system, rims, pick up

Stop treating owners like irresponsible babies by not letting us use parts of the nav system while the car is moving.

notthing better in this price
By Doidao1013

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I can not got anything better for the price, scion is the best I really enjoy drive this car every day!

VSC, ABS, EBD,EB, scion has everything, also I add the NV system so now I have everything

Does need improvements, for that this price can get anything better than scion.

Saved my life!
By Ahowe

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February 08 when we sold our Xterra. Already own a 06 corolla, and like Toyotas. This car is zippy, good gas mileage (31 city, 33+ hwy) and looks great. Standard power everything, cruise, you name it! The safety features are all standard- side, seat and front air bags. Good thing, too. A guy in a stolen car ran me off the road and into the concrete median in the middle of the hwy going about 65 mph, and I walked away with a sprained wrists and burns/scrapes from the seat belt and airbags. The car didn't make it, but it did it's job. Loved that little car and will miss it, but thankful for the fun it gave me and the life it saved!

Standard power windows, locks, remote, cruise, CD, side, curtain, front air bags, better than decent gas mileage.

Road noise was a little loud, black interior showed dirt, dash and doors seemed like they scuffed pretty easily...