2008 Scion xD Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:
Car & Driver
By Ancron on 11/09/08 21:39 PM (PST)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Having been driving a 1995 Honda Civic CX Hatchback for the last 10 Years, this was definitely different! After studying Hondas and Toyotas I had it in my mind to either buy a Corola or a Civic (Both have exceptional Engines that last for quite a long time!). Determined to go to the Honda dealership and the Toyota dealership before I actually buy. My first stop was at the Toyota dealership. After the salesman showed me a few corolas on sale then he showed me a Scion XD. Having no idea about Scions (At the time I didn't know they were toyotas, I just thought they were another cheap brand), he explained in detail about the scion brand. After test driving the Scion and Corola, I bought the XD.

BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP
By Joe Mahma on 11/08/08 09:35 AM (PST)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it for a while and I'd have to say, it's a great cheap car. I just took a trip and managed 42 mpg on the highway while around town I'm getting about 32 mpg. It has some power if you get on it but the manual transmission is awful. The Interior is awesome as well as the body design, and people are always checking it out on the street.

Surprisingly fun and inexpensive car
By Carl on 11/02/08 07:34 AM (PST)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this guy a couple of months ago as an all-around hauler. I drive about 75 miles a day for work, was looking for practicality and fun. Also use on weekends for trips to see our daughter at college, etc. Very pleased with the xD. Lowered with TRD springs from dealer, rear spoiler, bumper protector. Have not used for overnight trip, but hauls four adults with ease (we are all short) and occasionally five for trips around town. Looked also at the Honda Fit, also nice, but glad I chose the xD. 33-36 miles per gallon (measured at fill-ups), 35-39 average on readout. Ride (w/TRD springs) is firm but comfortable. Co-worker has an xD also and has had good experience, highly recommended!

Six months later.
By Pleased Consumer on 10/25/08 11:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the xD in March 2008, and have six months experience driving it. Fuel economy has been a steady 34 mpg, calculated. I have had only one incident where the Vehicle Stabilization Control system automatically worked its magic. It was during a highway run, climbing a hill during a rainstorm when traction was especially bad. The system kicked in at a time when I was unaware that I was losing traction. I maintained control with its aid, slowed down,and carried on with my trip all smoothly, safely done. This VSC is a worthwhile feature. One slight but nagging shortfall in the design of this car is the FEEL of the brakes-- they operate well, but are vague in their feel.

Perfection.
By MaxM on 10/25/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I was first looking at cars to buy I was trying to find an SUV. I wanted a vehicle that I could put stuff in the back of (home depot trips, etc.). Unfortunately, gas shot up to like $4 a gallon that day so I got rid of the SUV idea. After a lot of researching and reviewing, i went with the xD for its gas mileage, fold- down back seats (my friend and I can finagle our mountain bikes in there and trips to home depot are no problem), a low price tag, and the Toyota built engine. I've had the car about 6 months now and i couldn't be happier. It's definitely got some pep to it when you hit the gas, too. Good for light stuff, just don't expect to do any heavy hauling.

Scion xD Good Choice
By wendy on 10/18/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I am completely satisfied with my Scion xD. I purchased a 2008 xD in May 2008 because I commute 140 miles round trip. The xD has all the air bags, ABS and cruise control standard unlike some other small cars I looked at (Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit). My commute is half open freeway and half stop and go freeway. My fuel efficiency averages 35 MPG during the summer with the AC on all the time. I expect it to go up in the fall and winter. The xD is comfortable although the seats could be a little cushier. I think the gauges are well placed. Not having an arm rest doesn't bother me. Main drawback is blocking the sun from the door window. The sun visor doesn't have an extension.

Fun car but fuel eco. not what expected
By jpowell on 10/15/08 17:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was my wife's first new car. We bought it because of the look, the navigation system, but mostly because of the "expected" great fuel economy. I don't have much to say about the design besides that there should be an arm rest and it is crazy that the nav system doesn't allow you to use some of the options when the car is moving. The only real disappointment is the gas mileage. I read many reviews that stated 30+ and much more on trips. We have never seen anything better than 26-27/gallon city or highway or some combination. I know it's not way off, but I was planning to see better than what we are getting.

notthing better in this price
By Doidao1013 on 09/20/08 20:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I can not got anything better for the price, scion is the best I really enjoy drive this car every day!

Saved my life!
By Ahowe on 09/14/08 12:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February 08 when we sold our Xterra. Already own a 06 corolla, and like Toyotas. This car is zippy, good gas mileage (31 city, 33+ hwy) and looks great. Standard power everything, cruise, you name it! The safety features are all standard- side, seat and front air bags. Good thing, too. A guy in a stolen car ran me off the road and into the concrete median in the middle of the hwy going about 65 mph, and I walked away with a sprained wrists and burns/scrapes from the seat belt and airbags. The car didn't make it, but it did it's job. Loved that little car and will miss it, but thankful for the fun it gave me and the life it saved!

Scion XD
By Nancy on 09/06/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I debated which to buy, the Honda Fit or the Scion XD. I decided that I liked the body style better with the XD, I also liked the larger wheels which came standard on the XD (16" as opposed to the Honda Fit 14"). I am so happy with the XD. I drive 150 miles a day to/from work so I log a lot of miles quickly. I am now up to 11,800 miles and have not had a problem. It is comfortable and roomy for 4 adults. We recently took it from Ann Arbor to Chicago for a soccer tournament and had plenty of room for all four adults, we just made sure to pack lightly as there is not a lot of room for numerous suitcases but then again that is not what I bought it for. I highly recommend this car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.