2008 Scion xD Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:
Absolutely Love It!!
By Stephanie on 02/09/10 17:45 PM (PST)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I fell in love with this car the first time I drove it. I looked at other ones but kept coming back. It's fun, zippy, a LOT more room than the coupe I used to drive. It feels like a mini SUV. When the back seats are folded down almost anything will fit. I've have a few problems with it, transmission slips every one and awhile in the cold, ABS and EBrake lights keep coming on. However, I have done quite a bit of research and neither seems to be a common problem so I'm thinking I just got a bad one. The gas mileage is amazing, 35-45 in the summer, I have even had it to 50 on long road trips. The winter is a little lower averaging 30 mpg city/highway mix.

Alright, but I wouldn't buy it again!
By jess78 on 01/17/10 09:29 AM (PST)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Okay,it's a fun car to drive, gets you lots of questions/stares,so if you want attention great,if not move on. Best mileage about 29mpg, not bad/but not great. Brakes are poor at best, and I slide all over in the winter (illinois) and good luck getting snow tires,almost no one has them!!! and when you do find them,a single new tire can run you $150, yikes! Paint is weak/scratches easily. Must say lift back is great, can really get a ton of stuff in w/seats folded flat (got a recliner in there)but overall, cars just okay! No major mechanical issues, but road noise,lots of rattles, brakes and traction lacking! Oh,and sooooo not a green little car, same emissions as HUMMER, wish i'd known.

Wife's Car But I Drive It More !!
By jim@clt on 12/01/09 10:54 AM (PST)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used fron son of a friend who was going overseas-never considered Scion,but glad we did-it's a great car. We bought it just as gas was going +$4.00 so 34+MPG sold us.Small on outside, but deceptively spacious inside-X-L-NT ergonomics. I'm 6'1"and I'm comfortable driving or as passenger. Took several 500+ mile trips and no road weariness at all. 4 cyl engine has more than enough oomph for our driving style and tranny shifts smoothly. Long list of standard features(optional on most cars)was a big +.Compacts and subcompacts used to be synonymous with cheap and cramped, but in today's car market,cars in this segment are anything but. Toyota build quality and Scion pricing-can't go wrong.

Owned for a 18 months
By kenct on 09/10/09 12:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The first time I saw this Barcelona Red Scion I loved it and it has proven to be a good purchase. I needed a reliable car to bomb about town and for short range (<500 miles) highway trips, although took did a 2000 mile trip and car preformed great. I also needed good cargo capacity and excellent gas mileage. It has proven itself on all counts. The red color is very easy to spot among all the silver cars in big parking lots. I also keep the rear seat down for hauling cargo; mostly golf clubs and groceries.

I'll miss you..
By IDisposable on 07/23/09 16:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this beast! Great performance, great handling, great ergonomics. I hauled my wife, two kids and a pop-up trailer all over. This is a great small- family. We sadly had to part ways as there is a third child coming soon, but if Scion would have built a stretched version (ala the Mazda5 we just traded for) we would have stayed in the Scion stable for a third run.

Scion Rocks
By Fun car to drive on 07/19/09 20:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have driven from GA to Key West and back, its a great car to drive in city but sure above average car in the Hwy.Road Handling is great and does not feel like a small car fear factor. I own a Maxima also and closely pay attention to the quality and overall performance. Recommend this for city zip zag. Many people compare this to Honda Fit, which I think is not the right comparison due the techinal specs to start with and also road drive pleasure in this is great. But what I wish Toyota can good better is the road noise, to compensate they have a great Pioneer system which is far better than Bose which I have in Maxima. Overall a strong buy recommendation. Good Luck,

Glad I Didn't Buy the Honda Fit
By Aleida on 06/28/09 20:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I should be getting speeding tickets every time I drive it...I'm having tons of fun driving a stick again. On the freeway I'm doing 80 without realizing it. In the beginning gasoline would splash back out at every fill up. It took two visits to the same dealership to get the problem fixed. My description was not adequate so the second time the service manager hopped in and we went to a gas station and he saw it happen.

Love my little white xD!
By Sharon on 06/08/09 15:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had seen my first xD about a year before I bought mine. I was hooked from that point on. I looked at other cars- just to be sure-but always came back to the xD. Had to wait a few days to get my white manual, but it was worth it. I love driving it...it zips everywhere...and I love to brag about the gas mileage to my 'gas hog' driving friends.It is just too cute.

Great Buy - Great Fuel Ecomony
By Tim from Nebraska on 05/08/09 23:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my xD for about 18 months (33,000 miles) and love it. Depending upon how you drive, you'll meet or beat EPA. I drive on the slow side and have gotten 45 mpg highway more than a few times (yes 45!) even with family of 4 in the car. In summer, I regularly get 34-36 with mixed driving. The car is fun to drive and comfy for me (I'm only 5' 5" though). First car I ever bought new. No problems in 18 months. Tires still in good shape too. We test drove every car in this class (Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Kia Rio, Hyndai Accent, etc..) and felt that this was the best buy and ride for the money. Standard features can't be best. Highly recommend!

I did the research. One year later...
By Jesse on 05/05/09 13:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After a lot of research and test drives, one year later I still stand by my purchase: It has the most features & style for the price. I drove this car cross-country packed with all of my valuables. The Honda Fit would not have had the power to merge with semis in the Colorado mountains at 75 mph while getting 40+ avg mpg. Thank the xD's Toyota 2ZR-FE Dual VVT-i 128hp engine. I bought this car to drive in LA, so the active head restraints, sideview mirror signals & the airbags for myself AND rear passengers were a major selling point. My friends love the interior design, stereo & comfortable seats too. Compared: Honda Fit Sport & Civic, Toyota Yaris Hatch & Sedan, Mini Cooper

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.