Used 2008 Scion xD Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion xD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Loved This Car
By mcgooey

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car. I stumbled upon this car when it first came out. I think I just got lucky with it. didnt know anything about the car but i had been wonderfully happy with this car. it was fun, sporty. had some get up and go. and there were alot of customizable features that you could add to the car. radio was great. love the ipod hook up feature. I was able to get 40 highway and high 20's city. this car was the love of my life. unfortunately it got squished in between a ford f150 and a ford E150. The car actually held up alot better in the accident then I would have expected from the impact, but the car was a total loss. RIP scion XD

stereo was awesome, handling was great. Sporty look, interior was fun also

starting off with a smaller tires, the tires on this car were kinda big I think

Tires are garbage
By cfeather

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Research this carefully. The Goodrich tires that came on this vehicle new are garbage. Had to be replaced at 24 K. But there are only 2 manufacturers who make a tire for this car. Both are garbage. So what good is reliability, fuel efficiency, etc. if the tires are failing? New tires (Dunlop) were $600 at dealer cost. Wheel bearing went out on my XA at 32K, so I have that to look forward to next! GM parts used on these cars, so this is to be expected.

Compact, fuel efficient and great value.
By agalcowa

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I stumbled upon the Scion Xd while looking for a Honda Civic and Mazda 3. The Scion is most different from the Mazda, but is similar to the Civic in the following ways: reliability, fuel efficiency, and compact size. The car is decently built for a compact car. It shares many components from the Toyota Corolla (engine, tranny, etc) and knobs and other items from the Rav4. For any 4-cylinder car that doesn't have a turbo, I recommend the manual for better control and performance, especially when merging onto the freeway. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my Scion and glad that I found it.

Fuel economy (I average 30 in the city and 38 on the highway), I find the driver's seat pretty comfortable and I'm 6'3". This isn't the type of car I would call amazing, but for my daily commuter it's more than I could ask for.

The biggest downside of the Scion Xd is the road noise - the engine sound and road noise is louder than I prefer. I plan on keeping the car for a while, so I'm going to install some Dynamat which should reduce the noise substantially. I wouldn't have purchased a Civic or Mazda because of the noise though.

Very safe car
By Alan

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car, ive had it a year and a half now and usually average 33 city, nearly 40 highway. The car drives great, and has enough get up and go for interstate traveling. Its also a very safe car, someone has rear ended me three times now in this car, once just a fender bender, another time on the interstate the guy hit me at about 30 in a suv, just a broken bumper, and most recent i was stopped on the interstate and the ford F150 truck behind me didn't...hit me at about 65-70 mph..i walked away fine and so would anyone in the back seat, the car only dented in a few inches, but about 11,000 in damages...overall its a great safe car. i would highly recommend

ipod connectivity, speaker system, navigation system, lights in the floor,how you sit up hi makes ground clearance nice, roomy

The floor mat i got already has a hole in it where my heel sits when driving, and wish you could get heated leather on it

I'll miss you..
By IDisposable

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this beast! Great performance, great handling, great ergonomics. I hauled my wife, two kids and a pop-up trailer all over. This is a great small- family. We sadly had to part ways as there is a third child coming soon, but if Scion would have built a stretched version (ala the Mazda5 we just traded for) we would have stayed in the Scion stable for a third run.

Goes anywhere, parks anywhere, a blast to drive, AWESOME gas mileage. We averaged 30 in mostly city drivings and 22 pulling a fully loaded camper and gear.

Make a stretched version with a 3rd row. A hybrid would be awesome too.