Traded from Rav4 - Surprised and Satisfied!
By corolla_scion on
2012 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)
I had an 04 Rav4 that blew a head gasket with 120k miles. Unfortunate and unlikely, but it happened. This brought us to the dealer to repair the Rav4 or buy a new one. After considering a new Rav, and much deliberation, we decided on a 2012 Scion xB instead. I must say it was a good decision. It's hard to get the cargo, features, and quality for under $20K. We are very happy with our decision. Cargo is not much smaller than an SUV in the Rav4 class and the TCO is much lower. Smaller tires and engine, similar MPG's, cheaper oil changes, insurance rates, etc.
Favorite Features
Favorite feature is design. I think the new contours in the exterior design is better. A little less "boxy". Shorter side windows and taller door panels give it that chop-top look. Interior is fantastic! Very roomy, easy to get in and out, and plenty of cargo room. Placement of the center located display cluster has been critized, but you get used to it quickly and found to like it better. It's better at night. Less "light noise" in your face maybe? Telescopic/tilt steering column. Plenty of room for rear passengers and seats are very easy to fold down at the touch of a button. Price - very nice! Finally, tech gadgets are in the base models (Bluetooth, iPod/mp3 USB, HD radio, etc)!
Suggested Improvements
BETTER MPG's!!! Come on Toyota! You can do it! :) I've read that if it had a five or six speed automatic it would achieve better fuel economy. Why didn't they do it? The Corolla we own is fantastic in that regard. If the xB was as efficient as the Corolla I'd never drive the Corolla, but when we need to get far (without cargo) we take the Corolla. At 35-38 MPG who wouldn't. I've read that they were designing for the younger crowd and wanted a peepier ride, but I'd trade sporty acceleration for a more economical xB!