Used 2012 Scion xB Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Scion xB Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Love this Amazing vehicle!
By William McCoy

2012 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very recently bought a used 2012 Scion xB Wagon, 2.4L I-4, 16-valve, ohc, 5-spd Manual, to replace my hard-driven '97 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab with 221,800+ miles. My Tacoma also had an earlier iteration of the same power plant as the xB. Consumer Reports review for the 2012 xB are all full red dots (excellent) except for Trim/Paint, which was half-a-red-dot (very good). The example I found and bought had been a personal lease vehicle, returned to its original dealership, with only around 15, 586 miles on it; very low for a 2012. I consider myself fortunate to have gotten this car. This is a very dependable, long-used Toyota engine design. Build and assembly quality is very solid. I have yet to put 500 miles on this vehicle, but I absolutely love driving it, and it's getting better as I'm becoming accustomed to the feel and handling. Positives: Handling: Very quick; sports-car like. Small turning circle accentuates this. Front-wheel drive also accentuates this, tending to understeer because the steering wheels are also the driving wheels. Cornering: like being on rails; flat, little tip; the boxy shape is deceptively stable. Very wide stance plus low profile; a box with a wheel on each corner. Center of gravity is pretty low; not as low as a Subaru or Porsche, which have boxer engine configurations that lay flat, but it's still great. The I-4 engine is tilted back slightly with the weight approximately centered over the front wheels. Most fun I've had since I first drove a '64 VW Beetle 4-speed. Clutch: Moderately light; easy to hold; an advantage in LA traffic. A bit grippy in 1st, shift to 2nd quickly and smooths out. Brakes: As much as I have so far experienced, the 4-wheel discs bring it to a stop really fast. Vented discs in front, solid discs in rear. Gearing: Surprisingly, what seems to me to be a little low; at 70 miles per hour, I'm running 3,000 rpm in 5th (my '97 Tacoma with same engine but rear-wheel drive, ran 2500 at 70 mph). However, I can see the logic of the design, because they've tweaked it to be just under its peak torque curve at common highway speeds. You can still accelerate away pretty well in 5th without downshifting. The tach doesn't show redline until 6500 rpm! If gearing were slightly higher, fuel mileage could probably be improved a bit, but it might not be as much fun to drive! Interior: Nice fit and finish. Little cubby bins everywhere, cup/can holders front and rear. Driver's seat could benefit from an infinitely-adjustable electric design. While this model features tilt-telescope steering wheel, and a six-way manually adjustable seat, the slightly odd driving position within the confines of the "box" cry out for more adjustability, particularly with the 5-speed, because of active clutching and braking. Automatic drivers won't care. The manual adjustable seat adjusts seat-cushion angle, seat-back angle, and forward-backward seat position. There is no height adjustment The seat adjustments, plus the steering adjustments mean most drivers can find a combination that is CLOSE to what they want, but they won't be able to make it PERFECT. Many Toyota models without electric seats suffer from this problem. Weakest spot, by far, Scion: INADEQUATE SUN-VISORS. The big windows, which contribute to great visibility for most drivers, ALSO puts one's head at a low angle compared to the top line of the windows, thus allowing indiscriminate BLINDING BY THE LIGHT. A simple fix would be to use sun-visors with those slide-out-the-end panels to extend them the full width of the window, thus keeping our eyes functioning. Don't forget to bring your "shades" when you drive, and wear headgear with a bill or brim. Inadequate cargo area lighting: One little light on the left side of the rearmost cargo area. Low, and manually switched. Better placed above, inside the top of the hatch frame to spread light over the area. Flat floor due to front-wheel drive allows for lower placement of space-saver spare, and a "storage tray" which rests on top of the spare, but under the floor panel. And in my particular car, carpeted/monogrammed mat on top of that. Storage cubbies around the spare under the floor panel, and open storage bins on right and left side of cargo floor. There was room for more storage on inside of rear roof support pillars, if it had been utilized. In the molded paneling, there are depressions as if some designer thought about making a storage bin, but just didn't follow through with it. As I said, I haven't had this car very long, but I anticipate driving it for a WHILE, and enjoying every minute of it. So far, have seen very few things to criticize. My biggest disappointment was reading in someone else's review that Scion will not be making the xB after 2016?is that right? That's a shame, because it's a great car. Of course, the up side is, that it'll make mine worth more down the road, because it'll still be desirable!!

I love this car
By T.C. Howard

2012 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first new car I've ever purchased for myself. It was purchased to offset my other car, a 2006 Dodge Magnum with the Hemi, which doesn't get good gas mileage in city driving, but is acceptable on the highway. At the time of purchase for the Scion, August 2012, I was still working a 9 to 5 job that I am now retired from, and my drive to, and from work averaged about 7 or 8 miles round trip, city driving, and I was getting around 13 mpg in the Magnum. I am also a musician, and need a vehicle capable of hauling my equipment, which was one reason I bought the Magnum after the van I had died. I liked the concept of a squared off car, and had looked at a couple of XB's that people at work had bought. I looked at other small SUV's that got good gas mileage, and considered the Kia Soul, but it was smaller, and the brand didn't have the reputation for dependability as did a Toyota, which the Scion is. The price was higher for the Scion, but I figured it would pay for itself with it reputation for longevity, and the extra cargo space. The car is the base model, but I love the way it handles, and can only imagine how it would handle if I add some improvements like better tires, and suspension parts. I'm a big person, and weigh over 300 pounds, but can easily get in and out of the car, and the seats are fairly comfortable for me, even on long trips. This is my "daily" driver, and I love this car. I wish it had a six or seven speed automatic transmission, and all wheel drive option. I love, and enjoy driving my Magnum, but I have to consciously choose to drive it, which happens about once every two weeks. My choice for driving is my Scion. My warranty is out, since it has been over three years, although I only have 27, 000 miles on it. I understand that the XB will not be made for 2016 which is a shame, as I would consider trading mine in if an upgraded transmission, and all wheel drive were offered. They apparently will offer nothing but cars/sedans in the upcoming year. So, I'll make my XB last.

Just what I was looking for
By Bradley Knisley

2012 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was the first car that I bought brand new. I did a lot of research over a couple years to find just what I was looking for. I was at the Cleveland auto show when I sat in the 2012 XB for the first time. It was love at first sight. It now had an arm rest, which is a must and adjustable steering. I love the electronic steering because I work real hard at work and would much rather not fight with the steering wheel after a hard days work. I was looking for a SUV that was good on gas, reliable, could haul just about anything and looked good while doing so. I love the center mounted dash because the steering wheel doesn't get in the way of what you need to see. I upgraded the radio, purchased the cold air intake and TDR muffler. The car felt sluggish to me because I traded in my Jetta turbo for my new XB. This improved the performance and gave it the pep I was looking for. You honestly can fit almost anything in the back of this beast. I purchased a 60 inch TV that fit it in the back, in the box but did have to move the front seats forward a couple inches. I moved everything in my house except for a few pieces of bedroom furniture and my kitchen table. Let's face it, you can not get by with just a sedan being a home owner. This vehicle has meet my expectations and has exceeded them. I look forward to owning this vehicle for many many years.

2 ScionXB GREAT FOR THE $
By Roxanne

2012 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Scion XB. POSITIVES . I loved the no barter sales What it was online was the price.Period . A great car for the practical person but i like the looks too.Not a muscle car peppy but good enough.Handles well. Scion XB comes with lots of great features as standard.I love the bkuevtoith which turns the radio sound off as you talk back on when done My First was a manual so bare bones but had everything i wanted and then some. .Second Scion XB i did opted for an automatic as they had them on the lot but not the manual.Auto was my only concession to how it came. Scion XB Has the biggest cargo area i could find for this price car. Main reason i bought one again. I have two 170 Mastiffs which fit well in this car. Str 22ndaw bales 50 lb feed bags building material.3X2 foot cage for chickens . everything fits with the back seat down plenty of extra room.and goes down with touch of a button top of each seat No hastle at all. Roomy seating decent gas mileage between 32 to 35 mpg I like the brightly lit instrument panel in the center although different Best.. It heats quickly to cozy hot and cools quickly to very cool as well. NEGATIVES.... RADIO....my 2010 had a mute button on the radio and steering wheel as well which the 2012 doesnt ..Better long distance reception MATERIAL...BIG sticking point with me is material and carpet are very hard to clean.. Debri gets stuck in the fibers and wont come out no matter what.Dog hair and straw mostly. Seat covers do clean up better than 2010 which were the worst ive ever had on a car but carpet is still just as bad. Terrible really.They should take a clue from Focus on easy maintainence seat and carpet material. Plus I wish id had a choice of color for floor and seat covering This black would NOT be my choice.! Best if no choice would be medium grey much more practical brighten and open the interior even more. CARGO LIGHT doesnt stay on long enough to get out my groceries but minor issue BLIND SPOT. My biggest criticism of this vehicle is the large blind spots on both sides.A real danger.Many times i have seen nobody in the mirrors but a car was there . FOR SURE LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER WISH LIST ... Id love an alarm to let you know sonethings behind you as the back windshield is pretty high . Better lighter color carpeting and bring back the radio mute button All and all i probably will buy this car a third time. .For the price the many standard features size roomy seats very roomy storage... just cant beat it with any other car .

My baby
By Reanna

2012 Scion xB Wagon Release Series 9.0 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my "box car" you really don't realize how big these cars are until you get inside. This was my first car that I bought through a dealership and I loved every minute of it. The air conditioning was amazing in the front seats, though I heard from the back seat it was average. The car had a lot of storage space and really helped out when it was moving time. The stereo system was great! I don't want to trade him in, but with a baby on the way the price is a little expensive for me. If it wasn't I would keep the car until the wheels fell off. This is a great family car and is very safe! I would recommend to family and my own children

• SUV