Bring back the funk!
By johnxbreezy on
2011 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)
Used to have a 1st generation 2006 xB in 5-speed manual. It was my favorite car I owned. I outgrew it, and wanted something a bit more mature, and sleek. I also wanted to go for a VIP-style luxury-look this time around, and you can’t be VIP and shift your own gears! ;) That led me to pick up a big-body 2011 xB in automatic. The 2nd generation xB in manual is pretty silly, anyway--it’s just too big for a manual. I do love the car, but I’m not in love with it. It lost it’s groove, and seems as though the Kia Soul is the newer version of the 1st generation xB—it has all the funk that the new xBs lost. I still like the 2nd generation xB more than the Soul, but just saying.
Favorite Features
I do appreciate the larger body, surprising to myself, as I’ve always driven the smallest cars. Tastes change, as expected. I also appreciate how it’s more sleek in curves, while still being boxy. It comes with a myriad of features you come to expect from Scion—Pioneer receiver (head unit) and factory USB and AUX inputs, which are so important to me, and a super-cool dashboard setup, just like the 1st generation—only this time, it’s fully digital, including the speedometer! Why all cars are not digital is beyond me, but I digress. Other than that, it’s a very simple car with not much else in features. It does have a very nifty store section under the rear seats.
Suggested Improvements
The AWFUL and very dated 4-speed automatic needs to go--causes poor gas mileage. The automanual function is laughable. Mind of it's own. There is this strange, creaky noise/rattle from the dashboard. All 2nd generation xBs have it because my father’s 2008 model had it at 36,000 miles, and mine at only 4,000 miles had it (I’m not the original owner). xBs will always have a place in my heart. I understand next year, the 3rd generation xB is expected—I’m really curious to see what comes of it. I am expecting a lot from Scion this time around—they can’t afford another mediocre xB. They need to bring back the funk, or else the Kia Soul will continue to reign.