Used 2010 Scion xB Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Scion xB - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Fun, fun, fun
By ripdaddy

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 800 miles on my pre-owned 2010 XB I have found it to be an economical and fun car to drive. A recent 500 mile road trip returned 34.5 mpg on an interstate over the rolling hills of N. Missouri. Cruise control was set for 66 mph. The second half of the trip was on US and state highways using very little cruise control. Even with passing through small towns and some hilly, winding roads I got 35.6 mpg average. An overdrive 6th gear would work great on this car. The torquey 2.4 Camry engine pulls easily from 2000 rpm up.

Smooth engine. Slick, slightly notchy 5-speed manual. Great electric power steering. Timing chain, not a belt (hooray)!! Seats are firm but comfortable and plenty of headroom for my 6'1", 210lb frame. Body is solid and rattle free. MPG's are much better than I expected from reviews but I am an easy driver and the torque of the engine allows short-shifting. Big, wide doors allow easy entrance and exit. Big hatch door and lay flat seats will allow a lot of flexibility for loads. Very good radio. A blast to drive. Like a big go-cart.

They could either slightly relax the gear ratios or add an overdrive 6th gear. 70mph comes at 3000rpm. This engine wouldn't even breathe hard with a ratio allowing a 500rpm drop. The clutch has a narrow engagement and is a little difficult to be smooth. The car does set low and requires ramps for oil changes. Be careful of that as the low lip will strike a lot of ramps before the tires do. I made a set by stairstepping some 2X8 boards.

We love our xB!
By doug148

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased it 40,000 miles and three years ago. To date, our only expense has been an oil/filter change every 3k. As our grandchildren say: It look so small on outside, but it's so roomy on the inside. Handles great in wind and even in snow (as long as it's under 6" in depth)-- very stable. Delivers gas mileage far in excess of the EPA rating-- 28 mpg overall. Quality thru-out-- made in Japan. Amazing storage and flexibility. Powerful, smooth, quiet Camry engine. No rattles and noises. Is it a SUV, a hatchback, a station wagon, or a sports sedan? It has elements of all those. This car is underpriced by about $5,000, thus a bargain.

Engine power, build quality, interior room, passenger comfort.

Love my "mini UPS truck"
By tony181

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2010 XB has been almost exactly the vehicle that meets my needs. My wife's car is a 2009 Camry SE. Have owned for 2.5 years (19,000 miles). Comfortable, roomy vehicle for around the town driving (I am 6'2"). Had a problem with comfortable driving position-adding lumbar solved that problem. Fun to drive & handles great-I added sway bar. Lots of power. Cargo capacity tremendous for size vehicle. Wish interior was a bit nicer-no padding on door armrests among other such items.

Cargo capacity. Lots of room for me. Handles very well with lots of power.

Nicer interior options. Add lumbar control. 6 speed automatic (improve gas mileage)

Great car
By kevininstl

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2010 xB in August of 2009. Since then, I've put almost 35,000 miles on it. This includes a daily commute of 30+ miles each way. Also longer trips of 250 miles and one of about 1,000 miles. Everything has been just as I thought it would be and that's a good thing. I avg about 27 MPG and can get over 30 in the right conditions. The car is comfy and has all of the reasonable things standard. The cargo space is very good for a car its size. It's much larger on the inside than it looks on the outside. Best of all is it's reliability. I'm this far in and the only time I took it to the dealer it turned out the burning smell was from a plastic bag caught on the muffler. :)

Reliability! Unique exterior. Comfortable. Good fuel economy.

The worst thing I can say about this car is that it's gas tank is too small for my liking. But that probably has to do more with how far I drive daily. I get about 300-350 miles to the tank so I'm filling up more than once a week. Anyway, if that's the worst thing I have to say, I figure I'm ok.

Good people/stuff Hauler
By Ollie

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a 2009 Scion Xb for over 2 years and have driven mine for 44,000 miles. It is a good car but not a great car. I bought it for fun to drive, which it is very fun the way mine is equipped, but not a great commuter vehicle. Fit and finish are ok, not as good as other Toyotas and definitely not up to Honda/Subaru like quality. There are some rough plastics and some of the interior design elements are quirky(like the useless drivers armrest). Mine has the TRD lowering springs and 19" TRD alloy wheels which make it look killer. However, as a commuter vehicle it makes the ride extremely harsh. Honda Fit a better choice for a similar price or stretch the budget and get a VW Golf.

Factory customization options, Toyota reliability, cavernous interior

Give it a bigger gas tank and/or better fuel economy. I average 23/24 MPG with mostly highway driving which isn't horrible but the vehicle has only a 300 or so mile range making for frequent fill-ups. Give it a 5 Spd auto transmission.