2010 Scion xB Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Scion Xb - Consumer Reviews

2010 xB Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Sort Reviews by

Fun, fun, fun
By ripdaddy

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 800 miles on my pre-owned 2010 XB I have found it to be an economical and fun car to drive. A recent 500 mile road trip returned 34.5 mpg on an interstate over the rolling hills of N. Missouri. Cruise control was set for 66 mph. The second half of the trip was on US and state highways using very little cruise control. Even with passing through small towns and some hilly, winding roads I got 35.6 mpg average. An overdrive 6th gear would work great on this car. The torquey 2.4 Camry engine pulls easily from 2000 rpm up.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine. Slick, slightly notchy 5-speed manual. Great electric power steering. Timing chain, not a belt (hooray)!! Seats are firm but comfortable and plenty of headroom for my 6'1", 210lb frame. Body is solid and rattle free. MPG's are much better than I expected from reviews but I am an easy driver and the torque of the engine allows short-shifting. Big, wide doors allow easy entrance and exit. Big hatch door and lay flat seats will allow a lot of flexibility for loads. Very good radio. A blast to drive. Like a big go-cart.

Suggested Improvements

They could either slightly relax the gear ratios or add an overdrive 6th gear. 70mph comes at 3000rpm. This engine wouldn't even breathe hard with a ratio allowing a 500rpm drop. The clutch has a narrow engagement and is a little difficult to be smooth. The car does set low and requires ramps for oil changes. Be careful of that as the low lip will strike a lot of ramps before the tires do. I made a set by stairstepping some 2X8 boards.

We love our xB!
By doug148

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased it 40,000 miles and three years ago. To date, our only expense has been an oil/filter change every 3k. As our grandchildren say: It look so small on outside, but it's so roomy on the inside. Handles great in wind and even in snow (as long as it's under 6" in depth)-- very stable. Delivers gas mileage far in excess of the EPA rating-- 28 mpg overall. Quality thru-out-- made in Japan. Amazing storage and flexibility. Powerful, smooth, quiet Camry engine. No rattles and noises. Is it a SUV, a hatchback, a station wagon, or a sports sedan? It has elements of all those. This car is underpriced by about $5,000, thus a bargain.

Favorite Features

Engine power, build quality, interior room, passenger comfort.

Love my "mini UPS truck"
By tony181

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2010 XB has been almost exactly the vehicle that meets my needs. My wife's car is a 2009 Camry SE. Have owned for 2.5 years (19,000 miles). Comfortable, roomy vehicle for around the town driving (I am 6'2"). Had a problem with comfortable driving position-adding lumbar solved that problem. Fun to drive & handles great-I added sway bar. Lots of power. Cargo capacity tremendous for size vehicle. Wish interior was a bit nicer-no padding on door armrests among other such items.

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity. Lots of room for me. Handles very well with lots of power.

Suggested Improvements

Nicer interior options. Add lumbar control. 6 speed automatic (improve gas mileage)

Great car
By kevininstl

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2010 xB in August of 2009. Since then, I've put almost 35,000 miles on it. This includes a daily commute of 30+ miles each way. Also longer trips of 250 miles and one of about 1,000 miles. Everything has been just as I thought it would be and that's a good thing. I avg about 27 MPG and can get over 30 in the right conditions. The car is comfy and has all of the reasonable things standard. The cargo space is very good for a car its size. It's much larger on the inside than it looks on the outside. Best of all is it's reliability. I'm this far in and the only time I took it to the dealer it turned out the burning smell was from a plastic bag caught on the muffler. :)

Favorite Features

Reliability! Unique exterior. Comfortable. Good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

The worst thing I can say about this car is that it's gas tank is too small for my liking. But that probably has to do more with how far I drive daily. I get about 300-350 miles to the tank so I'm filling up more than once a week. Anyway, if that's the worst thing I have to say, I figure I'm ok.

Good people/stuff Hauler
By Ollie

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a 2009 Scion Xb for over 2 years and have driven mine for 44,000 miles. It is a good car but not a great car. I bought it for fun to drive, which it is very fun the way mine is equipped, but not a great commuter vehicle. Fit and finish are ok, not as good as other Toyotas and definitely not up to Honda/Subaru like quality. There are some rough plastics and some of the interior design elements are quirky(like the useless drivers armrest). Mine has the TRD lowering springs and 19" TRD alloy wheels which make it look killer. However, as a commuter vehicle it makes the ride extremely harsh. Honda Fit a better choice for a similar price or stretch the budget and get a VW Golf.

Favorite Features

Factory customization options, Toyota reliability, cavernous interior

Suggested Improvements

Give it a bigger gas tank and/or better fuel economy. I average 23/24 MPG with mostly highway driving which isn't horrible but the vehicle has only a 300 or so mile range making for frequent fill-ups. Give it a 5 Spd auto transmission.

Much better than i expected
By rb7385899

2010 Scion xB Release Series 7.0 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I test drove a 2006 XB a few years ago and rejected it, too slow and noisy. This revised model is a major improvement. I'm getting the advertised 23 mpg or so around town, but on a 50 mile (mostly rural) drive to Lancaster PA it returned 33 - far above the 28 mpg sticker for hwy. It's quiet, crisp handling, and has excellent visibility and interior space. I'm sorry i didn't test drive sooner. And you can't beat the pricing.

Favorite Features

styling, room, driving dynamics,hwy mileage (if it holds up)

Suggested Improvements

you can't display time/temp/mpg separately. long reach for the ctr mirror & some other switchgear. the aero kit is going to scrape the snow in winter. not all interior gauges are lit. and base radio doesn't include sat; i rejected the $449 sat upgrade cost as insane. heated mirrors?

What A Surprise!
By Toni C

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A baby boomer who loves the sporty feel of a very practical car. I simply love my Scion XB and really got into the buying process. With the addition of many of the performance features, the car is a joy to drive. The addition of interior and exterior features makes for a very classy look. I have gotten better than reported gas mileage, particular with the addition of the sport's muffler that helps with coasting and keeps me from speeding! The sunroof addition has increased my driving experience on those pleasant summer evenings where you can enjoy the intermix of music and soft breezes.

Favorite Features

It is a roomy car and good for hauling. Handling and control. The sound system. The appearance, especially the design of the windows and subtle aerodynamic features. The location of the turn signals.

Suggested Improvements

Brighter and more interior lighting, less plastic, a spare tire (more useful for highway driving), mud guards (Minnesota winters), additional back-up/tail lights

Former BMW Owner
By Former BMW X3 Owners

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We just traded in our 2005 BMW X3 on a 2010 XB. The XB is almost the same size inside and actually fits a booster seat for our 3 year old daughter better in the back. The BMW was a terrible fit for car seats and the the booster seats. Nothing would fit in between the seatbelts. This car fits much better, but still not perfect. It's nowhere near as quiet inside, but hopefully it will not have the problems. We were getting ready to spend over 3k in repairs as our BMW has many issues including bad all wheel drive motor (1.8k to fix), A/C wasn't working, passenger seat wasn't working, and bluetooth stopped working.

Favorite Features

It has everything we need and want. We were able to lease it for 329 a month with less than 200 down and having some negative equity in our X3.

Suggested Improvements

make it quieter.

engine stopped going to vegas
By milodog

2010 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was fairly happy with car until this week. Seats aren't comfy, but I can live with it. Driving to Vegas, car all of a sudden comes out of gear, check engine and oil lights come on and I coast to the side of road. I turn it off for a minute, and it starts right up. took to dealer and cleared codes. still in process of what really went wrong. Thought potential buyers might be interested. Have Toyota problems gone to scion ?

Favorite Features

looks

Suggested Improvements

seats are pretty bad for heavy people

Awesome value
By Charlie

2010 Scion xB Release Series 7.0 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I took a chance and test drove an XB, I should be driving an Acura RL, but I was sold on the XB. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Appearance, cabin space, ride and comfort, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of.