2009 Scion xB Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Scion Xb - Consumer Reviews

2009 xB Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Sort Reviews by

Best Deal Ever! I love my Scion!
By CB

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Coming from a 1999 Toyota Camry I can truly say that this is the perfect car for me. As a college student the flexibility, performance and gas mileage of the car were all needed. The car handles wonderfully, looks great and is extremely reliable. My previous Camry had zero problems for the entire 160,000 miles. Toyota quality is unsurpassed and is quite evident in this vehicle. My only gripe is that the ride is a little bumpy. You do feel most every bump in the road.

Favorite Features

Flexibility, performance (I can do 0- 60 in about 7.5 seconds); gas mileage (24.5 in town driving-so far!); upgraded sound system; manu-matic transmission; roominess; headlights (best I've ever seen-pun intended!); acceleration; safety (stability control, ABS and side curtain airbags standard)!!!

Suggested Improvements

Driving position takes a while to get used to (compared to the Camry); drivers armrest is too thin; paint chips easily; not outstanding gas mileage; bouncy ride; large blind spot; dark cabin; no separate clock; minimally padded seats; no telescoping steering wheel; one 12V outlet; limited storage.

WOW! What fun!!!
By momsxb

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Talk about one fun little ride!! This car feels more like an SUV. I love the style and room that this little jewel has. You can not go wrong with the price or the gas mileage. I traded in my 4 door toyota yaris and so glad I did! The yaris is great for the money but has nothing to offer as extras like this great ride. The yaris had no power windows, locks or keyless entry and not to mention the cheap carpet in it. I bought a black 5 speed manual and had the dealership put a hot pink stripe on the side. I am a 38 year old mother of 2 teenagers who also love my car. Can't wait to add the hot pink wheels for the final touch. I am still young at heart and this car makes me feel it!

Favorite Features

I love the head room and the way the position of the 5 speed manual sits on the console. Love the cargo room and the fold down seats. The digital speedometer is great for my teenagers learning to drive. Great room in the trunk for a fold down wheelchair. Also love the tinted windows.

Suggested Improvements

Need to add a push button trunk opener in the front and a light in the cargo area. Maybe even have the back glass to open separately from the hatch. These are just suggestions that I can live without.

very happy
By lleum98

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my XB since August. I'm very pleased with it. Mileage is OK, I avg. about 27 mpg overall. Surprisingly quiet with a decent ride for it's size. It also has alot of zip and cruises fully loaded at freeway speeds with no problem. I'm a good sized guy and there is plenty of room, and it is very easy to get in and out of both front and back seats. Tons of head room.

Favorite Features

Lots of room. Traction and stability control, Anti lock brakes, Lots of safty features

Suggested Improvements

arm rests for the front passenger also.

Awesome Car
By rockyriverguy

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had my '09 XB for six months now, 10,000 miles already and NO problems. Absolutely flawless! And I'm getting 31.8 MPG....

Favorite Features

Cargo space, handling, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Put the cruise control on the steering wheel.

Even better than the first generation!
By Oscar

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Although my fiance' is the owner of this vehicle, I drive it a heck of a lot, and I am giving serious consideration to trading my `05 tC for one of these. My family has two first-gen xBs, and while they are what put Scion on the map, and are still cool, the gen2 xB is a dramatic improvement over the first generation, albeit a little less funky-looking. The xB purists may not like it, but I do. In the Stingray Metallic color, this little wagon looks great. the only accessories ordered at delivery were fog lights, overhead console, and rear bumper applique. My fiance' traded in a 2001 Taurus for this vehicle, and she doesn't regret it. This is her first non-Ford vehicle.

Favorite Features

Ease of ingress/egress, interior space, standard VSC/traction control/full airbag complement/4-wheel ABS disc brakes with EBD, True iPod connectivity AND an AUX port, standard power everything, and a much-improved engine (158 hp even with an automatic really moves and has "manu-matic" capability).

Suggested Improvements

An armrest for the front passenger, variable speeds on the front and rear wipers, more accessory power outlets, auto up AND down windows (like my tC), one more dome light above the rear cargo area (I changed all the existing interior lights to LED and it made a huge difference), some JDM stuff too!

LUV IT!
By Chelli

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Luv this car so far. Comfortable and I am a BIG guy. People love it after they ride in it. Don't mind the ugly aspect, I think it looks like a cool, funky hearse. I do 130 miles a day on I95. The power boost is there when I need it...30 to 70 in a couple seconds leaves those 18 wheelers in the dust! Dealer provides the 1st two checks @ 5,000 and 10,000 miles. Great room in the back when I drop the seats. It doesn't feel like a strong built car, but only time will tell.

Favorite Features

Great pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Solo digital clock. Sometimes the stop lights are hard to see.

Great Overall Performer
By halljsf

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have a young son with mobility problems. Most SUV's are a challenge for him because of the step in height. The XB is easy for him to get into (mostly without assistance), and the cargo area is big enough for his foldaway wheelchair. I like the clean design of both the interior and exterior. Although, I wish the materials used in the interior were nicer and of better quality. Most interior surfaces are hard to the touch and black. I added a custom leather steering wheel cover because the standard steering wheel was rough and uncomfortable to grip.

Favorite Features

Clean design, full array of safety equipment comes standard, fun driving dynamics, good fuel economy (26mpg in town; 33mpg highway),interior space, very good standard audio system, the Stingray metallic blue color.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials, more lighted controls.

2009 Scion
By Howard Jones

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 09 Scion is the best designed car I have ever owned and I am a mechanical designer and a detail nut. Every design aspect of this car is very well thought out. It reminds me of the interior of a boat in the efficiency of the storage compartments. It should be 'Car of the Year for 09'.

Favorite Features

The convenience features,i.e, power door locks, remote entry, power windows, cruise control. I really like the dashboard layout and lighting also.

Suggested Improvements

A digital clock that is separate from everything else. I like to see the MPG readout but I would also like to see the time display.

Very good buy for the price...
By ZoomZoom

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have put about 1,500 miles on my XB and feel that I have driven it enough to write a review. I have had absolutely no problems with it, so far so good. I went to the dealership after reading reviews about the XD and felt it was a little too small. I didn't particularly like the look of the XB until I drove it. I was in love! And still am. I get alot more positive comments on it than I had expected. It's fun to drive and can get up and go if you need it to. Bottom line: If you are looking for a fun, reliable car under $20K; the XB is the right car for you!

Favorite Features

The look, space, stereo system with MP3 and Ipod capabilities, gauges are easy to read and it is easy/fun to drive, it's peppy, has good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

6 way power seat option or more options on the seat and steering wheel positions, the black interior is a bit hard to keep clean and the plastic on the dash scratches easily, the MP3, IPod and the power outlet are a little hard to reach.

Great Calue and the Best SUV Alternative
By BoomerBabe

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

With less than 5,000 miles racked up, I like my xB more each time I drive it. I did extensive research before I bought, even considering a CRV or Rav4. But I always came back to the xB for its fuel efficiency, interior space, cargo room and price. It handles well and with 158 hp it is much more responsive than some others in its class, like the Honda Fit.

Favorite Features

Interior space and advanced safety features. One of my main stipulations is low interior noise. The xB has a good rating.

Suggested Improvements

Variable speeds on the intermittent windshield wiper would be nice. And a left arm rest for driver would make road trips a little more comfortable. Even though, I love my xB.