2009 Scion xB Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:
Peppy little Box
By Smitty on 04/26/09 17:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 xB used with 5k miles on it. The guy before me had put $5k in features like wheels, spoiler, upgraded stereo and he even put light up door sill strips on it. I am completely satisfied with the features, price and reliability. This is probably the best investment I have ever made aside from buying a house. I recommend this vehicle to everybody even people taller than 6ft. I am 6'1" and 220 lbs and I feel like I am driving a school bus.

My New SCION
By Stephen Taylor on 04/21/09 23:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Having put the first 1000 miles on my new SCION xB, I am very impressed with the power, drivability, and comfort. I am a big guy and I have plenty of leg and head room. The car itself seems much larger inside than one would expect. I am averaging 28.9 MPG so far, which I am very happy about as well. Overall, I could not be happier...

I Love this Car
By Don on 04/09/09 22:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am retired and I wanted a fun and economical car with space to carry things. I drove 12 cars before buying my xB. I like the ride, the handling, and the large cargo space. The car is responsive and fun to drive. To make it even more fun, I added several Toyota dealer installed products including a cold air intake, free flow exhaust, 18" wheels and performance tires. The normal good acceleration is now fantastic. Best of all, the highway mileage is now over 31 mpg.

scooter review
By davew on 03/07/09 12:59 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After a lot of research, I traded my 2007 4 door Silvarado for my dream 2009 Stingray Metallic xb Auto. Looks like the best $17000 auto on the market. Wanted headroom, upright seating, all necessary features as standard, 25 mpg, and yeah, something different. I love it and the extra room in the garage. have 'aerodynimcs are overrated' and 'it's hip to be square' decals. 5000 miles and no problems.

2nd Scion XB, Love em!
By Seattlescottb on 02/26/09 09:08 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Son-in-law an XB 18 months ago, and when we got back to Seattle decided to buy myself one. I was looking at the Honda CRV, but at 10K more I just couldn't justify the cost. Granted the CRV is a more plush car, functionally they are very similar. I wish the XB had an extra 12v outlet, but other than that it's exceeded my expectations. After 1 week of driving we are averaging 25.7mpg, MUCH better than I expected. I didn't get many of the extras (unlike my Son-in-Laws car) but I did get the rear cargo deck. Only one other thing I'd be critical of is the Pioneer Radio. It has an SSR feature that I can't quite get right? Anyway, overall a wonderful, cost effective car.

Best Value available.
By dan.oneil77 on 02/20/09 12:48 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

As an engineer, I researched new cars for 6 months before buying. We're expecting a second child and needed more room over our Mazda Protege. The Scion xB is the best value possible! The rear seating beats EVERYTHING we looked at! Grown-ups can sit back there - no other vehicle offered this. I had a 1993 Toyota Pickup with the I4 2.4L engine and loved it - this engine has the juice when you need it! I added the cold air intake for a little more HP - at the cost of a few MPG's. We're seeing 28MPGs, but with 128+ FT^3 interior space, that's actually pretty amazing. It is a bit heavy and catches a lot of wind, but its meant more for utility, not speed. Great for small families!

Sadly Disappointed
By BigDaddy on 02/10/09 05:49 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Scion because I was impressed with the standard features that came on it and the interior roominess. I am over 6 feet tall and about 300 lbs, and am comfortable in the front or back seats. Car is quick and nimble to drive, but a lot of road feel. Could get better, mileage, only about 28 ave. Most disappointed after driving less than 1,000 miles (less than 2 weeks) the check engine light came on. Took it to a dealer who "fixed" it and 4 days later had the same problem. Now they are replacing the transmission. Sure, it's under warranty, but that does nothing for my time, lost work, and aggravation. Sadly disappointed at Toyota quality. Is in the shop more than my driveway.

Almost glowing
By PA Deerhunter on 02/05/09 04:00 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I like this car a lot but I find the suspension to be a little "bouncy" for my taste. Acceleration is surprisingly good and I find it to be exceptionally maneuverable. Biggest gripe: No Daytime Running Lights, not even as an option. Lights are required in work zones here, so that's annoying. My wife is petite, so she has to use a cushion because the side mirrors are in an awkward spot in her field of view. Other than that, it's a real crowd-pleaser. Lots of people come up and want to talk about it.

Got a killer lease on an xB
By b-in-mia on 02/02/09 22:29 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was able to haggle the price to invoice AND lease for same money as the national offer that's available for the Corolla. I'm a big guy and I find ingress excellent with great seating position. However, the seats are barely acceptable with limited adjustment and no lower back support. I should have paid more attention to this detail b4 purchase! Furthermore, the seating room is plentiful but the center console rubs my knee pretty hard. I may velcro on a little padding and solve this problem. Ride and handling are excellent. Car feels solid, wind noise is nil, engine is awesome. Although sheetmetal is flimsy, i think structure is solid and the complement of airbags make car pretty safe

So far, the XB is great!!
By happy customer on 02/01/09 08:28 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

You sit a little higher in the XB than you do in normal sedans. Not as high as an SUV, (back in the day I drove a Jeep Cherokee) but high enough to provide better sight lines on the road. The interior feels very roomy, and the seats are the most comfortable of all the cars I tried before purchasing the XB. The automatic transmission works well for downshifting when roads are snowy / ice covered. Could not ask for more at this price.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Scion xB Wagon in VA is:

$113 per month*