Used 2009 Scion xB Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Scion xB Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

2nd Scion XB, Love em!
By Seattlescottb

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Son-in-law an XB 18 months ago, and when we got back to Seattle decided to buy myself one. I was looking at the Honda CRV, but at 10K more I just couldn't justify the cost. Granted the CRV is a more plush car, functionally they are very similar. I wish the XB had an extra 12v outlet, but other than that it's exceeded my expectations. After 1 week of driving we are averaging 25.7mpg, MUCH better than I expected. I didn't get many of the extras (unlike my Son-in-Laws car) but I did get the rear cargo deck. Only one other thing I'd be critical of is the Pioneer Radio. It has an SSR feature that I can't quite get right? Anyway, overall a wonderful, cost effective car.

Good power, good visibility, great turning radius, better than expected mileage, comfortable seating, fits 4 adults easily, good cargo capacity. A great mini-mini van

Dual 12v outlets, ground clearance in snow may be a problem.

Best Value available.
By dan.oneil77

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

As an engineer, I researched new cars for 6 months before buying. We're expecting a second child and needed more room over our Mazda Protege. The Scion xB is the best value possible! The rear seating beats EVERYTHING we looked at! Grown-ups can sit back there - no other vehicle offered this. I had a 1993 Toyota Pickup with the I4 2.4L engine and loved it - this engine has the juice when you need it! I added the cold air intake for a little more HP - at the cost of a few MPG's. We're seeing 28MPGs, but with 128+ FT^3 interior space, that's actually pretty amazing. It is a bit heavy and catches a lot of wind, but its meant more for utility, not speed. Great for small families!

IPOD adapter, Power Everthing, Cruise, Trip computer, Wide Variety of Mix and match opitons available (you pick what you like - you're not limited to "sport" or "luxury" package of options), Rear seat room, Safety Features, Standard Traction control, and 4 wheel-disc anti-lock brakes.

the driver's right knee does rub the center console awkwardly - you just have to position yourself a little differently. The center instrument cluster takes some getting used to as well - at first I would look down at night and think my headlights weren't on!

Sadly Disappointed
By BigDaddy

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Scion because I was impressed with the standard features that came on it and the interior roominess. I am over 6 feet tall and about 300 lbs, and am comfortable in the front or back seats. Car is quick and nimble to drive, but a lot of road feel. Could get better, mileage, only about 28 ave. Most disappointed after driving less than 1,000 miles (less than 2 weeks) the check engine light came on. Took it to a dealer who "fixed" it and 4 days later had the same problem. Now they are replacing the transmission. Sure, it's under warranty, but that does nothing for my time, lost work, and aggravation. Sadly disappointed at Toyota quality. Is in the shop more than my driveway.

MP3 and Ipod docking, headrests, interior room, easy fold down seats, good cargo room with seats down. Good pick-up for highway merge. Great headroom - most I've ever had! Like the pump up/down seat too.

BETTER TRANSMISSION QUALITY! Upgrade to 5-spd auto for mpg, cargo light, beef up cargo floor (it's pretty flimsy), telescoping steering. Improve instruments to show odometer & trip and put clock separate from other data. Variable wipers, cruise on wheel, bigger cup holders, and more power outlets

Almost glowing
By PA Deerhunter

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I like this car a lot but I find the suspension to be a little "bouncy" for my taste. Acceleration is surprisingly good and I find it to be exceptionally maneuverable. Biggest gripe: No Daytime Running Lights, not even as an option. Lights are required in work zones here, so that's annoying. My wife is petite, so she has to use a cushion because the side mirrors are in an awkward spot in her field of view. Other than that, it's a real crowd-pleaser. Lots of people come up and want to talk about it.

Nice mix of standard features for the price.

Like most everyone, I'd prefer two armrests but, obviously, that's not a deal-breaker. Fog lights would've been nice, too.

Got a killer lease on an xB
By b-in-mia

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was able to haggle the price to invoice AND lease for same money as the national offer that's available for the Corolla. I'm a big guy and I find ingress excellent with great seating position. However, the seats are barely acceptable with limited adjustment and no lower back support. I should have paid more attention to this detail b4 purchase! Furthermore, the seating room is plentiful but the center console rubs my knee pretty hard. I may velcro on a little padding and solve this problem. Ride and handling are excellent. Car feels solid, wind noise is nil, engine is awesome. Although sheetmetal is flimsy, i think structure is solid and the complement of airbags make car pretty safe

value, huge space, ingress/egress, incredible ride and handling compromise, torquey engine, quietness, safety, reliability

scion should fix: interior and trunk are spooky dark at night; center armrest is way too low; controls for the handy trip computer should be on console instead of dash bezel; auto-up window needed; i'd pay extra if scion offered: better adjustable seats; leather; zenons; sunroof