Used 2009 Scion xB Wagon Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Scion xB Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2009 Scion xB Wagon

View reviews for a specific xB model:

I Love this Car
By Don

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am retired and I wanted a fun and economical car with space to carry things. I drove 12 cars before buying my xB. I like the ride, the handling, and the large cargo space. The car is responsive and fun to drive. To make it even more fun, I added several Toyota dealer installed products including a cold air intake, free flow exhaust, 18" wheels and performance tires. The normal good acceleration is now fantastic. Best of all, the highway mileage is now over 31 mpg.

The crisp handling and the tight turning radius are my favorite features. I make long trips in this vehicle and I find the seats comfortable on long distance all-day drives.

Originally I thought this car might need a 5 speed automatic transmission, but after driving it for 10,000 miles, I have decided I would change nothing.

scooter review
By davew

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After a lot of research, I traded my 2007 4 door Silvarado for my dream 2009 Stingray Metallic xb Auto. Looks like the best $17000 auto on the market. Wanted headroom, upright seating, all necessary features as standard, 25 mpg, and yeah, something different. I love it and the extra room in the garage. have 'aerodynimcs are overrated' and 'it's hip to be square' decals. 5000 miles and no problems.

utility value, size vs. room, 158 hp, style, ease of entry, color, funky and different, programmable radio greeting.

must improve front seat armrests. needs automatic headlights and running lights, Aftermarket options are way overpriced.

2nd Scion XB, Love em!
By Seattlescottb

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Son-in-law an XB 18 months ago, and when we got back to Seattle decided to buy myself one. I was looking at the Honda CRV, but at 10K more I just couldn't justify the cost. Granted the CRV is a more plush car, functionally they are very similar. I wish the XB had an extra 12v outlet, but other than that it's exceeded my expectations. After 1 week of driving we are averaging 25.7mpg, MUCH better than I expected. I didn't get many of the extras (unlike my Son-in-Laws car) but I did get the rear cargo deck. Only one other thing I'd be critical of is the Pioneer Radio. It has an SSR feature that I can't quite get right? Anyway, overall a wonderful, cost effective car.

Good power, good visibility, great turning radius, better than expected mileage, comfortable seating, fits 4 adults easily, good cargo capacity. A great mini-mini van

Dual 12v outlets, ground clearance in snow may be a problem.

Best Value available.
By dan.oneil77

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

As an engineer, I researched new cars for 6 months before buying. We're expecting a second child and needed more room over our Mazda Protege. The Scion xB is the best value possible! The rear seating beats EVERYTHING we looked at! Grown-ups can sit back there - no other vehicle offered this. I had a 1993 Toyota Pickup with the I4 2.4L engine and loved it - this engine has the juice when you need it! I added the cold air intake for a little more HP - at the cost of a few MPG's. We're seeing 28MPGs, but with 128+ FT^3 interior space, that's actually pretty amazing. It is a bit heavy and catches a lot of wind, but its meant more for utility, not speed. Great for small families!

IPOD adapter, Power Everthing, Cruise, Trip computer, Wide Variety of Mix and match opitons available (you pick what you like - you're not limited to "sport" or "luxury" package of options), Rear seat room, Safety Features, Standard Traction control, and 4 wheel-disc anti-lock brakes.

the driver's right knee does rub the center console awkwardly - you just have to position yourself a little differently. The center instrument cluster takes some getting used to as well - at first I would look down at night and think my headlights weren't on!

Sadly Disappointed
By BigDaddy

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Scion because I was impressed with the standard features that came on it and the interior roominess. I am over 6 feet tall and about 300 lbs, and am comfortable in the front or back seats. Car is quick and nimble to drive, but a lot of road feel. Could get better, mileage, only about 28 ave. Most disappointed after driving less than 1,000 miles (less than 2 weeks) the check engine light came on. Took it to a dealer who "fixed" it and 4 days later had the same problem. Now they are replacing the transmission. Sure, it's under warranty, but that does nothing for my time, lost work, and aggravation. Sadly disappointed at Toyota quality. Is in the shop more than my driveway.

MP3 and Ipod docking, headrests, interior room, easy fold down seats, good cargo room with seats down. Good pick-up for highway merge. Great headroom - most I've ever had! Like the pump up/down seat too.

BETTER TRANSMISSION QUALITY! Upgrade to 5-spd auto for mpg, cargo light, beef up cargo floor (it's pretty flimsy), telescoping steering. Improve instruments to show odometer & trip and put clock separate from other data. Variable wipers, cruise on wheel, bigger cup holders, and more power outlets