2009 Scion xB Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:
2009 XB Fun even for an old guy
By ocived on 09/17/13 16:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my daughter in Aug. of 08 after she moved to Colorado in '12 and needed a AWD I took it off her hands, since I'd need a car in a year or so. I love driving it. Very quick off the line and @4000 the VVT kicks in and it's on. For a 2.4 L. 4 cyl wagon it's a blast to drive. Toyota quality is all over this car. 83,000 + and no maintenance issues. One recall for coil packs R&R was it.

For me, it's perfect
By garyxb on 07/18/13 06:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it off showroom floor 5 years ago and it has never given me even the tinyest problem. It averages 25 mpg in town and 32 on the hwy. I'm an old guy and performance is no longer nearly as important as ergonomics. It is the easiest car I have seen to get in and out of. The ride could be a tad smoother, but it is a minor enough complaint. Handling and performance are not Porsche-like, but are crisp , and are fine for what it is.

Happy
By Happy on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Ok so I owned a 2004 scion Xb and I bought it when it was brand new. It had 130,000 miles on it. Never had a problem not one with any part of the car. Earlier this year I got into an accident and my car was totaled. I decided to go with what I know and love. The Xb is a reliable car, great on gas, roomy. I know every one complains about the arm rest but after owning the original I'm ecstatic to have one at all. I would recommend this car to anyone.

oldvet53's '9 scion xb
By oldvet53 on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

i love this little car! it get's good mpg. and love's twisty back roads. i drive to the V.A. at Little Rock, Arkansas which is 100 miles away and usually spend about $20.00-$22.00 on the round trip. i am able to get 24 mpg. around town.

Something different
By Ardie on 05/10/10 13:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've driven a Camry for the past 6 years; a nice but terribly boring car in every way. I was looking for something safe as my oldest just turned 16, and the Camry had no side airbags, ABS or traction control. The XB is fun to drive, very safe, better in the snow than the Camry, incredibly roomy, has a small turning radius, and a reasonably smooth ride. I drive 30 miles each way to work, and I'm averaging 28 MPG at about 70 MPH. On long trips I've exceeded 31 MPG. The car is a like a Tardis, small on the outside but huge on the inside. And I'm very confident in the safety features for my new driver. I like having a car you don't see everywhere.

Can't complain
By gman on 04/11/10 20:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is super reliable and practical. That's why I bought it and it didn't disappoint there. But I just don't find it very fun to drive, which is turning out to be more important to me than I thought. Also the interior feels a bit cheap and I find the ride to be jarring over rough pavement.

Less than stellar
By unclealan on 03/29/10 14:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I used a true Klunker to get this Release Red, and I don't enjoy it as much as some. One tiny armrest, much too wide rear corners, quite hard to back up. Personally I am always hitting the gearshift knob when going to the gps/radio panel. Even the cupholder ticks me off (though admittedly I am a touchy guy). I do like the lights except for the single back-up one. Heated seats on the 'top' should have been part of the package

Highly recommended
By PeterUK on 02/15/10 21:11 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Black xB2 was amongst the first available in CA. It came with Alloy wheels, illuminated Door Sills and upgraded iPod stereo. I test drove it and fell in love with it. It's easy to live with, has been totally reliable, not even a rattle or squeak and has never needed to go back to the Dealer for anything!! I am a Cyclist and the xB will carry two full-size Roadbikes along with all the Gear. My Daughter and I took it on a 1,000 mile roadtrip to SF and back with 2 Bikes and all our luggage. 80+ mph all the way and it flies up and down the Hills of SF! The xB also carries 4 Adults comfortably, everyone compliments it on how much Legroom there is in the rear.

Almost wish for a longer commute!
By Susan_in_AK on 02/13/10 22:27 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We looked long and hard for a suitable vehicle that my elderly mother can get it and out of, but can comfortably haul my son & 2 neighbors to school, all growing boys. We were driving past the Scion dealership and decided to check them out - we knew within the hour this vehicle was for us! Comfy, great handling, easy to get in & out of and so spacious! Handles fine in snow when it's not too deep. Happy with our purchase. Gas mileage is not as high as we hoped, but truth to tell the smooth ride & handling seems to encourage you to zip along. Absolutely love it!

Best value on the market today
By Brad on 02/13/10 08:22 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My fiance was looking for a good city car and we were interested in a low cost vehicle. I am a huge car nut, so I wanted something cool looking, reliable, and good fuel economy.We looked at everything with one determining factor being that I have to fit in it. For all of you tall guys 6'4+ this thing has tons of room for legs and plenty of headroom. The ride is very smooth, handling is great, acceleration still amazes me, it feels like a strong 6 cyl. Fuel economy is also incredible, we hit 28mpg avg with mix of city/hwy. Versatility is well thought out, this thing swallows as much as a truck bed could. All in all this is a best buy. I would highly recommend this car to anyone old or young.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Scion xB Wagon in VA is:

$113 per month*