2009 Scion xB - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:
LOVE IT!
By sandy c on 11/12/09 09:32 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this Car. I had a Focus and it drove terrible and only got about 27 mpg. I researched on Edmunds and saw all the good comments so I decided to try the XB because it is like a suv but better on mileage and had a standard transmission; I just like manual. It was everything I could have wanted, lots of airbags and my elderly father can get in and out easy.

Fast sleeper
By Autocrosser on 10/15/09 14:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. I replaced a gas guzzler, 18 mpg, with this 27+ mpg, 80% hiway use car. I towed my race car with the replaced suv, and now I am autocrossing the xb. I've finished first in every event this year, 12. I load up my overnight gear; sleeping bag, mattress, food, cooler, clothes, and helmet, and off I go. She rides smooth and quick, plenty of power.

It was worth the Change!
By stormancast on 08/17/09 17:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car had pretty much what I was looking for. 1. Space the back seat room is bigger than my wife 2002 Durango, 2. Good size cargo area, 3. Decent engine size/Power, and 4. Decent Mileage. I have already put 1800 miles on and enjoy driving it. It has a lot of of spunk and great turn radius. I did my research and test drove many compact cars that was in the same price range. Nothing seemed to compare to the XB. When I work from Home my wife steals it from me. The only negatives would be the arm rest, the power plug needs the key in the ignition and door console needs to be higher. overall I love the car.

this is a drivers car
By vb xb on 08/03/09 11:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2009 xb last year and I love it. This car is great on gas despite what the critics say, I average 28 mpg with the 5 speed manual. I needed something bigger than a car to carry my tools but still got good gas millage and was sporty. I get compliments all the time on its looks and back seat space. I want to add the trd clutch, shifter and maybe the intercooler eventually but I am really happy I bought this wagon. The cd player upgrade is a must for any die hard music lover, I got mine upgraded for free! Thanks checkerd flag Toyota. All in all this is one bad a$$ little toaster and I know it will last me for years to come.

Review the Star
By Victor M. on 06/22/09 20:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

No reservation with the 09 Scion I am delighted with the buy, would of love a 5 speed shift but its my work car and the reason for purchasing the car was for economic reason. The Scion has proven after three weeks of ownership a bit of a good move on my part. Economy is great, roomy, and fun to drive. The 2.4 engine make the Scion get and go, economy of the car is really see at the low speeds, the automatic trans could use an additional gear, keeping the RPMs around 1.8k when on the highway and would make the Scion that much more economic for highway use, but with a tight engine I got 315 miles on the first out of town trip. Please do not misunderstand the Scion is good on gasoline

Scion xB 2009
By sbs56 on 05/23/09 23:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very pleased with my xB - averaging 28+ mpg - 50/50 around town & highway driving (what is "so-so" about that?) - I'm sure it will average 30+ mpg on a long (highway) trip. Practical and fun to drive - 2.4L has plenty of pep. Interior is sparse but functional. I like the 2008+ body style - I receive a lot of compliments and there is plenty of room inside. I don't find the center mount gauges distracting and the steering wheel position is just fine. I find it interesting that "professional" reviewers generally knock the car yet actual owners love it.

Best car, best value
By iluvmyscion on 05/05/09 03:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We drove our Scion to Nor Cal over Christmas. I spent 21hrs behind the wheel at one point, no backache, totally comfortable! Plus fit me, my hubby, my mom, my son, & a week's worth of luggage (plus souvenirs) for four quite easily. Perfect family car for 3-4 peps. Got ~29-30mpg on the freeways!

Peppy little Box
By Smitty on 04/26/09 17:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 xB used with 5k miles on it. The guy before me had put $5k in features like wheels, spoiler, upgraded stereo and he even put light up door sill strips on it. I am completely satisfied with the features, price and reliability. This is probably the best investment I have ever made aside from buying a house. I recommend this vehicle to everybody even people taller than 6ft. I am 6'1" and 220 lbs and I feel like I am driving a school bus.

Best Value available.
By dan.oneil77 on 02/20/09 12:48 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

As an engineer, I researched new cars for 6 months before buying. We're expecting a second child and needed more room over our Mazda Protege. The Scion xB is the best value possible! The rear seating beats EVERYTHING we looked at! Grown-ups can sit back there - no other vehicle offered this. I had a 1993 Toyota Pickup with the I4 2.4L engine and loved it - this engine has the juice when you need it! I added the cold air intake for a little more HP - at the cost of a few MPG's. We're seeing 28MPGs, but with 128+ FT^3 interior space, that's actually pretty amazing. It is a bit heavy and catches a lot of wind, but its meant more for utility, not speed. Great for small families!

WOW! What fun!!!
By momsxb on 01/11/09 15:38 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Talk about one fun little ride!! This car feels more like an SUV. I love the style and room that this little jewel has. You can not go wrong with the price or the gas mileage. I traded in my 4 door toyota yaris and so glad I did! The yaris is great for the money but has nothing to offer as extras like this great ride. The yaris had no power windows, locks or keyless entry and not to mention the cheap carpet in it. I bought a black 5 speed manual and had the dealership put a hot pink stripe on the side. I am a 38 year old mother of 2 teenagers who also love my car. Can't wait to add the hot pink wheels for the final touch. I am still young at heart and this car makes me feel it!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Scion xB in VA is:

$113 per month*