Don't Let the "Toaster" Deceive You
By cmoriarty7 on
2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)
As someone who is 6'4", I'm astounded by having 4 inches of clearance over my head when I sit in the car. At the same time, I loved having plenty of leg room in the rear even with the front seats all the way back.The trunk has held up to 4 sets of golf clubs as well. You can't go wrong with the city MPG constantly between 25-27 and the highway between 28-30. The Toyota turning radius and engine is a joy and the engine has enough pep that sub-160 HP feel like a lot more. The acceleration capability is hard to comprehend with the thought of it being a box. I never had a vital part come close to failing after 60K miles. The car also handled in a way that tire wear was incredibly slow.
Favorite Features
SAFETY!!! I was recently in an accident with a drunk driver in which I was rear ended at 70 mph while I was doing 40. My Scion ended up being totaled after the rear axle was snapped almost in half. The bumper was destroyed and even the trunk compartment holding the spare folded in half. None of the airbags were forced to deploy. However, the Scion xB diffused the energy so well (By bending the uprights of the frame forward.) that the dull back pain only lasted for a few hours. You may think that it coming out totaled is a shame but I'm very lucky to have walked away from that at all.
Suggested Improvements
The front end sits low, which means it will scratch very easily if you hit a parking block. However, the undercarriage is made of a carbon fiber sheet that covers things like the transmission, etc. The full black interior is always a negative in any car, but unfortunately every xB is that way. There also really isn't a way to completely stop the A/C unit. One problem I did have was with the ABS. At one point, the ABS sensor behind the right rear tire had broken open and water got inside. While it didn't fry the sensors it caused numerous lights on the dash to come on. If this ever happens it is about $850 to fix. Mine eventually turned off.