Used 2008 Scion xB Consumer Reviews - 216 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion xB - Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion xB

View reviews for a specific xB model:

engine stopped
By boo21

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

on a major highway the engine stopped. had to get towed. mechanic is now looking for a used replacement engine. car has abouy 88,000 miles. i will never buy a toyoya product again.

From an ex GM-FORD-PONTIAC-CADILLAC Owner...
By momofx

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Coming from someone who owned big luxury SUVs, I must say the XB is worth the money. I have never had any issue with mine and since switching from a big 6L V8, I have taken more roadtrips in the past year than in the previous 5 years of just having a gas guzzling V8.

The amount of room the XB has is amazing. I am 6ft4 and I can VERY comfortably drive it. My buddy who is about 6ft but alot bigger guy was totally shocked how comfortable he was in the passenger side! Also alot of people dont know that these have the award winning Camry engine in it. Being an auto technician, ANY vehicle needs its usual maintenance people so dont think its gonna run forever with just gas cos its Toyota!

Lots of head room and tons of cabin space. Gets alot more mpg than its rated at when driven "right" aka its not a sports car so don't drive it like one and you will be surprised at your mpg! I usually get over 32 on the highway and I would post a picture if I could.

One thing I dont like is how all the display features (clock, temp, mpg, etc.) are in ONE display and you have to cycle through it with a button. Not good if you're driving in traffic. Nothing much to whine about but its just my personal thought...

Not Reliable As Advertised
By steve_cabral

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car since 2008 (only owner). I took care of it and had all service done. As of April 14, the car had 47,760 miles. On April 12, I was leaving Publix after stopping there to pick up a few items. The started like it normally does, but the steering wheel would not turn like it normally did. I looked at the dashboard and noticed a strange indicator. I looked in the owner manual and it said to take car immediately to dealership. I found out that it was something called an ECU (some sort of computer device) that is going to cost about $1,100 to repair. How is it possible to be charged so much with not even 5 years of ownership. Sad.

Less Impressed than I'd Hoped to Be
By callisto9

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 2011 with just under 50K. I researched this car for about a year before buying, so I knew what I was getting. Been less than impressed during the past year of ownership. I wanted so badly to like this car, but the little things are added up to an unpleasant driving experience. If I could go back and do this all over again, I'd likely have gotten a different car, or an automatic.

Interior space. Shape of vehicle - I like its quirky look. Large front seat area and dash. Fold-down seats/hatchback means lots of room. Decent stereo. Decent amount of pep while driving.

PROBLEMS: Cheap interior plastics. No telescoping steering wheel. Seat adjustments are poor. LCD display can only show one metric at a time (clock OR mpg OR temp, etc). Clutch is the worst I've driven in my 20 years of driving 5-speed. No variable intermittent windshield wipers. Needs more interior lights. No option for sunroof on new xBs as of this writing. HORRIBLE armrest.

Definately worth the money
By jusbuyxb

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Because I have had some experience with Toyotas, I went with the XB. For a toaster on wheels it is not that bad. The 08 has the rounded corners, didnt like the square styling. I heard some issues about heavy oil consumption. What I do is put a honey oil additive in the engine to prevent a lot of these problems. At 70K, still running like a champ. I think most people dont think about the additives to the tranny and eng which definitely make the difference. My wife loves it and coming off an American car binge my whole life, I dont mind the plasticky feel of the Scion. My wife had a PT Cruiser, or should I say PT Loser @19MPG average and now is happy with the XB @24MPG.

I like the roomy feel, large hatchback for cargo, the toyota engine with VVT-i, Pioneer system standard, along with all the other options that come standard. Also, I live in Arizona and during the real hot periods 114+, it is nice to have freezing cold AC. The corolla I had also had good AC on it especially after I well insulated the refr lines. For a small engine, to have a good AC like this ups my rating on comfort. I do also like the gauges in the middle. The steering wheel usually gets in the way of the gauges. This way I only need to move my eyes to the right instead trying to see over or under the wheel.

Center console needs redesign. Transmission and engine would have worked well for small car but seems a little hesitant to move XB, maybe up the tranny to CVT or ECT-i 5 speed Auto. Just carry over improvements made to Toyota Matrix.