2008 Scion xB Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion Xb - Consumer Reviews

2008 xB Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Sort Reviews by

A Bang of Safety for the Buck
By mikep

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I only added one option to the vehicle, the 16 inch alloy wheels. You can't get a car with more standard features and safety features than the xB for the price. The style has improved 10-fold from the original model. It's longer, a little wider, and about the same height. Fuel economy could be a squeeze better, but I love the torque. The base radio is quite adequate, and the sound is great. The one thing I am most impressed with is how quiet the car is, road noise is almost non existent. All this and it is so much fun to drive, and to be the first one in town with a new toy!

Favorite Features

Road noise (or lack thereof), engine, interior space, style, instrument cluster, radio and speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest is a bit thin, middle console could be taller to double as an armrest/console.

My new toy
By onebat10

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. The interior design with the inside door cup holders, the location on the gear shift and size are great. My best friend is 6'2" and has leg room and head room in the back. The Camry engine is definitely a plus and there isn't wind or engine noise. This vehicle does 100 mph without engine strain.

Favorite Features

Cup holders, pioneer radio.

My second xB
By witchever45

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded my 2004 xB in for the new 2008 xB. I LOVE everything about the new xB. I thought my old one was great, but the new one is so much better. It is faster, roomier, and much quieter. It still has everything I liked about the old one but the improvements to it are amazing. It has made my bad commute to work much easier to deal with. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

All the power features that come with the xB. The sequential shifter. The upgraded sound system.

Suggested Improvements

None.

2008 Scion xB
By Job

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife was appalled when I brought this thing home for her. But after driving it for a while she likes it. I was looking at everything in this price range and below and found nothing but blah until I saw this. Good car, good utility, bit of a head-turner, great safety features, first-aid kit, easy in-and-out, kids love it, and my bride is off my back. It's an econo-Camry with some style.

Favorite Features

Traction control, ABS, stability control, side air bags, window tint, cruise, in-and-out, color, 4-wheel discs, surfer-dude design.

Suggested Improvements

Independent rear suspension, $100 floormats, subwoofer standard.

Scionara xB1, Hello xB2
By west scide

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in an 06 3 weeks ago after driving it just 3 months shy of 2 yrs. As much as I enjoyed the 06, I like the 08 a lot more, it is a much better car overall. The 06 was perfect for commuting and trips to local places. I enjoyed driving it as long I was the only passenger but with wife, two kids and occasional third party, the fun goes away especially freeway ride > 30 miles. The 08 has addressed what the 06 lacked: power, safety, cargo behind 2nd row, lack of basic amenities, cup holders, cruise control. However the MPG, cool styling, and fun to drive has decreased on the 08. For me the 2.4L and safety of the 08 was worth the upgrade.

Favorite Features

Auto lock/unlock when shifting gears, turn signals on side mirrors, side curtain air bags. Bin on top left of dash. 16" wheels, storage under 2nd row and more cargo w/ 2nd row up.

Suggested Improvements

Better seat fabric. The first gen had better seat fabric.

Fantabulous
By BigRigDriver

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car comes loaded with everything and it's cheaper than most popular cars out there. Fun to drive, great gas mileage and very comfy. Road noise is much better than others in its class. Very roomy, young couples with a kid or two will love it. Big folks will find lots of room. Car made in Japan which is a big plus since my confidence in domestic made products has declined to low levels. Do yourself a favor and get a GPS if you do buy one, you gonna need it for all the fun driving you gonna be doing in it.

Favorite Features

It's iPod compatible. Auto tranny can go into manual shifting mode, sexy dashboard. Lots of room in the engine compartment. Big and powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

I can list plenty of them but they are all minor and pertain to me only.

2008 xB, It's not your dad's square box!
By ginamann

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have just a hair under 800 miles on this and it drives great! A few minor things would make it great! (see below)

Favorite Features

Fun to drive! Looks great! Cruise control is standard! No ash trays! Gas mileage is running me between 28 to 30 MPG. The Aux jack for the stereo is great! I can run my Sirius direct to the head unit.

Suggested Improvements

More power outlets. Come on, todays kids want to plug games or laptops or DVD players in to a power source! This car has only 1! Need two for Sirius and a radar detector! This is the stereo mfg. and not Scion but the radio has no power! You can't fade from the rear to front, it's all or none!

"Sell the Buick, Martha! Get this car!"
By Bill J52

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Pulled the trigger on this 2008 xB yesterday and hey, words fail me. Except for one... competency. This wagon does every task without even breathing hard. If you need easy access and egress, safety, good looks, fuel economy, and low "cost-to-own" this is your car. Technically, it's amazing, pure and simple. Electric steering and brakes, stability control, antislip, smart suspension that feels more like a Lincoln Towncar than a 4 banger entry level car. In short, the xB is a car for all people, Take a test drive and see! It's marketed for young adults but we baby boomers will not be denied!

Favorite Features

The sequential automatic transmission. I love the handling, braking, and acceleration of this car. I never feel like I'm driving a wagon or a van.

Suggested Improvements

Remove the iPod plug-in and make a dedicated access point for my 8 track player....lol. As Lee Iaccoca used to say If you can buy a better car, buy it. But I believe you'd be hard pressed to find one for 5 grand more that does what this puppy does.

Love the Box
By ronhawk62

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've put about 1500 miles on the box in two weeks and it has been excellent, so far. I've been getting over 32 mpg on trips and about 27 in everyday commuting, way better than expected. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room and the ride is surprisingly quiet on the highway. The engine has excellent power and the transmission works seemlessly. It handles very well and I'm more than pleased with my purchase. I like this car better than my previous car, a 2002 Lexus ES 300, and I really liked it.

Favorite Features

Power, fuel economy and overall roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Put a passenger side armrest on the seat and upgrade the interior appointments. The premium radio is too complex to operate at a glance.

I LOVE this car!
By Lew

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's been a week of genuine fun. I am getting 27+ mpg. The ride is smooth, quiet, lively, and very comfortable. Sure it is not a sports car but then, I don't have to fold myself into contortions to get into it. Lots of room. Yes, it's design is not for everyone, just someone who wants something well out of the mainstream. Some will think you are wacky. Hey, that's great in my book. In short it is a joy to drive! No regrets here of yet. It is one cool car, and I am not even close to Toyota's target under 30 year old.And what are people talking about, complaining about the center mounted guages. They are right there, easy to read.

Favorite Features

Comfort! Roooom! Fun! I sprang for the sound system upgrade and am glad I did. It is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Minor preferences: I wish the multiple gauge scrolled regularly through time/mpg/distance/temp rather than having to pick just one, but I can't think of a thing that I would change about this car.