Used 2008 Scion xB Wagon Consumer Reviews - 216 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion xB Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Potentially a good car...but not.
By troytali

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Having grown up on pocket rockets like the GTi, Honda Prelude Si, Civic Si, Mazdas, etc., the Scion xB was a bit more practical extension of that. I only wish Scion would make it with some performance. We know they use the same engine in the tC, so it's a mystery why they castrate the xB so deliberately. Put an engine with actual power below 4k rpm, close ratio 5 or 6 speed manual and auto choices, GOOD sound system, less body roll, NO MORE center gauges then maybe we have a car worth buying again. I've had two of these, and auto and the manual. Both have squeaks and rattles in the same places, and from new and almost new. Plasticky interior, peaky power delivery, lazy throttle response? Wow

Over 4k, engine wakes up a little bit. Decent seats, and good room inside in case I do actually need to carry anything. Looks cool.

Close-ratio manual and auto trans. 30-40 horses more, at least. The car weighs 3k + pounds, for pete's sake. 158 HP isn't working well. Did you folks at Scion actually drive this thing? Less body roll. Give us our money's worth in build quality, less rattles and squeaks please. For goodness sake, improve the audio systems. The Alpine audio I had in mine was terrible. Scion, I know you can get better power out of this without having terrible gas mileage. I've seen it done in other cars, similar in nature.

Excellent, Reliable, Economical Vehicle
By nicest2

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2008 Scion XB with 48000 miles in 3/2009 and have put 195000 miles on it in just under 5 years. I have not had any problems with this car and it is still driving like new. The key to this longevity is to keep up on the maintenance and to take care of the car. I drive over 50000 highway miles per year and get an average of 25 to 28 mpg. Good job XB.

ROOM ROOM ROOM. I am 6'3 and 410 pounds and fit perfectly and still have room.

Bigger arm rest, higher console to double as armrest, and more adjustment of steering wheel

Don't Let the "Toaster" Deceive You
By cmoriarty7

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

As someone who is 6'4", I'm astounded by having 4 inches of clearance over my head when I sit in the car. At the same time, I loved having plenty of leg room in the rear even with the front seats all the way back.The trunk has held up to 4 sets of golf clubs as well. You can't go wrong with the city MPG constantly between 25-27 and the highway between 28-30. The Toyota turning radius and engine is a joy and the engine has enough pep that sub-160 HP feel like a lot more. The acceleration capability is hard to comprehend with the thought of it being a box. I never had a vital part come close to failing after 60K miles. The car also handled in a way that tire wear was incredibly slow.

SAFETY!!! I was recently in an accident with a drunk driver in which I was rear ended at 70 mph while I was doing 40. My Scion ended up being totaled after the rear axle was snapped almost in half. The bumper was destroyed and even the trunk compartment holding the spare folded in half. None of the airbags were forced to deploy. However, the Scion xB diffused the energy so well (By bending the uprights of the frame forward.) that the dull back pain only lasted for a few hours. You may think that it coming out totaled is a shame but I'm very lucky to have walked away from that at all.

The front end sits low, which means it will scratch very easily if you hit a parking block. However, the undercarriage is made of a carbon fiber sheet that covers things like the transmission, etc. The full black interior is always a negative in any car, but unfortunately every xB is that way. There also really isn't a way to completely stop the A/C unit. One problem I did have was with the ABS. At one point, the ABS sensor behind the right rear tire had broken open and water got inside. While it didn't fry the sensors it caused numerous lights on the dash to come on. If this ever happens it is about $850 to fix. Mine eventually turned off.

Fun, Reliable Vehicle
By summamum

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am an original owner of an '08 XB which now has 58k miles; I have been satisfied with Toyota quality as I have driven them since 1980. I don't expect luxury, just practicality and affordability. With the XB I have gotten both. I can't expect this vehicle, or any other, to be forever free of
mechanical problems since every car will eventually be in need of repairs. Thus far, I've only had to repair shaky brakes due to warped rooters [?] and Scion did require a recall for a faulty power window button, which was covered by the warranty.

I am satisfied with this XB and I would purchase one again and recommend one. It is stylish and fun to drive. I can always depend on Toyota.

I think the XB runs well with respect to gas mileage and handling; however, the one thing I don't like is that it feels like it can tip over on occasions [on driveways]; it is rather roomy and it has several higher-end amenities which come standard, such as cruise control, Ipod, CD player, etc.

The front bumper can scrape the ground. It feels like it will tip over. The radio knob broke off. The viser on the driver's side no longer stays in place.

Solid as a rock...
By kenwid1988

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My mother bought the Scion XB brand new in Nov. 2007. It was a random choice I admit. She wanted me to test drive it before she bought it. I thought it would be sluggish, BOY WAS I WRONG! This car has pep in it's step. Drives better than a V6, I think. 99% of new cars nowadays feels like a temporary car. The quality of the XB feels like 10+ years of ownership. The drive and flow feel tight and sturdy. People giving it crap for its drive needs to STHU. This car is under $20K, what do you expect? Interior room is shockingly roomy. I don't like all the crap my mom put on it. I would have liked it as the base model.

My favorite features was the sound system, center speedometer, sway bar, standard p/w and p/d/l.

I would have made the lights BLUE instead of ORANGE. The ORANGE lighting on the speedometer reminds me of the 1980s.