2008 Scion xB Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:
Excellent Car
By rdcd on 09/14/11 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I cant believe these neg comments about this Scion XB. They must work for the UAW in Detroit? The 2.4 ltr 4 cyl is the best 4 cyl on the market. I had that same engine in my 2004 Toyota Solara and my daughter is now driveing it with over 200k mi and not one problem. My 08 XB has been 100% no problem. I have the 5speed trans, and average 27 city and 32 highway. I put Michelin MXV4 tires on and the ride is perfect. Love the car and dont believe these neg comments. I Don't!!

Worse Car Ever!!
By xb4me22 on 07/04/11 19:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy scions because the are really low quality. I had multiple issues with my car and Toyota has the worse service ever. Clutch went bad, AC went bad, Hand brake went bad, Water pump went bad . I purchased this car new and it has less than 60,000 miles on it. Now they found a defect on the roof of the car and they have to replace my roll bar by removing the roof and by re assemble the car. This car is junk! I will never buy a Toyota again!

My Second XB
By 2nrmom on 06/06/11 20:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My first XB was an 04 auto white. With the guidence of my son I did some modifying of it. It was pretty cool! Improved horsepower with a short ram intake, header and exhaust. Rota bronze wheels, lowered and a CF hood completed the look. I loved it but after a time I needed something bigger. Fast forward to present day.. I needed to downsize. While I was very partial to the 04 boxy style and room I knew I would love to have a bigger engine. Also didn't like the huge flat windshield of the 04 that had to be replaced every year. I bought an 08, dark blue, auto, used with 47k. So far I have had no problems with it. So nice to zip around again! Will make improvements to customize.

Some good, some bad
By woodywrkng on 03/30/11 09:17 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2008 XB used, with 26k miles at around 25 months old. It's a 5-speed model, and was at a dealership for a very nice price, perhaps because most people don't drive cars with manuals these days. Most of these Scions are holding their value very well, so it was hard to pass this one up. I'm a 50 year old guy, who's now more interested in a roomy, economical, and reliable car, than one which I hope will impress people. I've owned it for over one year now, and have some good impressions, and some not so good. Driving experience: The car handles and brakes surprisingly well. The suspension is very simple and should prove rugged and reliable. The steering ratio is quick, the turning radius short, and the suspension quite firm without being harsh. The driving position however seems at odds with the handling prowess of the car. From the drivers seat, it just doesn't feel particularly sporty. There are minimal seat adjustments, decent but not well bolstered seats, and a rather high mounted shift lever, with the end result just feeling a bit awkward if you try to drive in too agressive of a manner. While the seats are indeed better than most I found in this price/class of vehicle, it would be nice for a lumbar control or lower seat angle adjustment. The drivers seat will raise and lower, but it's pivoted at the front, thus when raised you tip forward. On the highway it's surprisingly quiet and composed for an econocar. One odd problem I've found is when wearing my size 11 work boots, my left toe rubs on the clutch pedal lever unless I pull my leg back un-naturally, while my right foot can just barely fit between the brake pedal and the center housing to reach the gas pedal. There simply isn't much room under there for an average work boot. My normal shoes don't experience this problem. There's a sizable right rear blind spot, which makes it a crap shoot backing out of an angled parking space, as well as large side view mirrors which obstruct your view to the side. If you tend to drive in nice weather with the window down and your arm hanging out, you may want to begin looking for a decent physical therapist since the window opening is quite high and you'll eventually tear your rotator cuff. Winter driving: The standard tires are round, and that's about it. The traction control works very well, asuming it's working (more later) and it's needed, due to the lame tread pattern of the Bridgestone tires, and very low ground clearance of the car. Many people lower these cars, which should make them a real adventure when encountering a pothole. Speaking of tires, the spacesaver spare is mounted on a wheel, the color of which should be called puke yellow. I reckon that's so you won't be tempted to leave it on for long. There's no discrete vent always aimed at the drivers side window to keep the side view mirror visible on frosty days, so you'll need to aim your dash vent in that direction. The passenger side has a separate vent. Perhaps it's the small wheel wells, but ice tends to form in the front wheel wells and rub on the tires, more than in most cars. Engine: Impressive low rpm punch, acceleration, snort, whatever you want to call it. This thing just plain scoots if you want it to. I do my own repairs, and the normal maintenance items are easy to find under the hood, with the parts that will eventually fail (alternator, water pump, A/C compressor) easy to see and reach. There is some chatter on a Scion forum about leaking water pumps, and mine isn't visibly leaking yet, although there is a pink stripe directly above the pump on the underside of the hood. Gas mileage-wise, I get 23-26 in city winter driving, in the cold state of Iowa, which I feel is fine since my daily commute is only a few miles each way. In warm weather the number rises to 25-28 in town, and up to 35 on a mixture of 55 and 65 mph roads. These figures are when the car is carefully driven however. Transmission: A smooth but long throw hydraulic clutch, widely spaced gear ratios, and a high mounted shifter without a reverse lock result in a car that doesn't ask to be driven aggressively. It took me a few weeks of driving to make nice smooth shifts. People do praise the automatic transmission, but I never drove one. 65 mph occurs at 2700 rpm, which is fairly normal for a car like this, although I do feel the car has the power to be geared higher. Interior: I like the blank dash in front of my face when looking straight down the road. Having the instruments slightly to the right gives you an un-cluttered view of where you're going, which is a good thing. A few of the oddities are slightly annoying however. The only clock is part of the trip computer, which has 8 functions. You can only view one at a time, so if you're watching the gas mileage, you don't see the clock. If you could choose which function to view from the steering wheel there would be no problem, but you can't. The standard radio is actually closer to the passenger than the driver, which is a bit odd, and the climate control's temperature knob is behind the shifter knob when in odd numbered gears. Speaking of the standard Pioneer stereo system, it's impressive. I'm an audio nut from long ago, and can honestly say that unless you're a kid wishing to annoy entire neighborhoods with hip-hop, you won't be upset with the sound quality, assuming you learn how to use the various features of the stereo. Most factory stereos in a car of this price are fairly basic, but this one is a nice surprise. Well done Scion. The interior feels cavernous, with easy access (meeting the approval of my 89 year old Mom), backseat legroom like a limo, and enough hard surfaces to create echos. The center console is a few inches too low to be of any use as an armrest, but its storage area is deep enough to hold CDs. The drivers seat has a fold down arm rest, that gets in the way of the seat belt when up, so that's a minor annoyance. There's a storage area under the rear seats, which is a fine idea, except that whatever you put under there tends to slide around a lot on the hard plastic. I recently loaded a standard sized kitchen range into the rear and closed the hatch, so there is indeed lots of useful space. Exterior: Yeah, it's odd looking, so what? It would be nice to have a key lock for the rear hatch, just in case. The only keyhole on the outside of the car is for the driver's door. The roof is the longest, flattest expanse seen since the early 70's full sized station wagons, which is a good thing since I use an aftermarket roof rack for a canoe or kayak, and the further apart the bars are, the better. The paint seems to be very thin and dainty. It's just too easy to scratch, so you'll be needing a container of touch-up paint, which judging from the price at the Scion dealer, contains precious metals and diamonds. Problems: Being the first year for this model, there are indeed some bugs. Some quite serious and pricy, if they occur after the warranty expires. In my case, my anti-lock brakes, traction control, and stability control are now kaput due to a known problem with a rear wheel speed sensor, and being two months out of warranty, I'm looking at a 700 - 900 dollar repair. And that's only for one of the sensors. Double that number when the other one fails. It seems as though they aren't waterproof. Scion knows about the problem, there's a TSB on it, but chooses not to issue a recall or an extended warranty on this issue. Since it concerns most of the safety functions of the car, I find that disturbing. There are also issues with the water pump, electric power steering, windshield cracking, and an assortment of creaks and groans to name a few. Overall, I'm basically pleased with the car, but disturbed by the reliabilty concerns. It reminds me of the Ford Fiestas from the late 70's, on a larger scale, but without the simplicity and reliability.

STAY AWAY FROM SCION ANY MODEL
By br2120 on 03/14/11 17:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The car came right out of the show room . from about 3 month there were issues. Transmisson rough shanging , jerking. Now at 70k it uses oil like 3 / qt per oil chaanges.Iam woking w/ deler on a oil consumption test . they tell me that 3 qt between oil changes is normal? One of the mechanics told me they were having lots of problems out this engine which is in the later modles of corolla and camery. Dont buy one.

Jekyll and Hyde
By CharlieTwo on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Power is excellent. MPG better than EPA numbers. Numerous safety, convenience and "handling" features. Solid construction. 100% reliable. Now the Mr. Hyde side: I got the 5-speed. Unfortunately (since day one), the gear-shifter clunks when I change gears, the accelerator pedal has no feel- nor does the clutch- so I can't engage gears smoothly. And the brakes grab. Most of the remainder of the Mr. Hyde side of the xB's personality has to do with all the gauges being too far to the right. It takes too long to find and read them (I won't take my eyes off the road for more than one second at a time). Summary: Solid and reliable car at a great price, but don't get the 5-speed stick.

2008 Scion Xb. Engine ceased after 70K
By 4pawsup on 08/10/10 02:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2008 Scion Xb engine froze at 70,000K. War 60,000 or 5 years. There was no warning lights. Oil was fine. I would stay away from this car. The automatic only gets 20 MPG. You can do much better with some other car.

New XB Scion Outstanding!
By Scion 2008 XB on 07/31/10 13:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Scion XB in Mid July after reviewing and test-driving many other cars. With the completely new design for 2008, it's not as boxy as the earlier versions. The "chop- top" look is misleading since the room in the XB is huge. I've also noticed the incredible fuel mileage. From the Cressida we had at 12-15 miles/gal to the 20-28 miles we're getting with the XB, its saving a lot on gas. Albeit fun to drive, it's comforting knowing the car is encased in a safe cage and airbags and curtain airbags make the XB an incredible value. Thank you Scion!

Fun, reliable and cheap
By Paul on 06/17/10 23:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new and now have 50,000 miles. Have not had a single problem. Does not burn any oil. I've used synthetic since 5K. Does well in snow. AC works well and iPod hookup is nice. Lots of room is nice. I knew I would be putting a lot of miles on this car and I wanted something practical that would deliver with no hassles, that's just what the XB does.

I know xB in a very object way
By brytface on 05/17/10 16:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have driven xB for over 2 years. Our experience with this vehicle has been deteriorating mainly because of continuing mechanical problems and poor interior material quality. First, some plastic under passenger seat fell off within 6 months normal usage. Big surprise! And the engine stopped in the middle of the way. (wife almost made an accident) Toyota fixed it under warranty. However, problems continues.. When waits for the signal with brakes on, the car shakes and make noises. I knew Toyota Quality slips away but I thought Built-in Japan Scion would be fine. My mistake! when a company fails to do what they are supposed to do (making value products)consumers suffer.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.