2008 Scion xB - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:
Potentially a good car...but not.
By troytali on 07/24/14 09:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Having grown up on pocket rockets like the GTi, Honda Prelude Si, Civic Si, Mazdas, etc., the Scion xB was a bit more practical extension of that. I only wish Scion would make it with some performance. We know they use the same engine in the tC, so it's a mystery why they castrate the xB so deliberately. Put an engine with actual power below 4k rpm, close ratio 5 or 6 speed manual and auto choices, GOOD sound system, less body roll, NO MORE center gauges then maybe we have a car worth buying again. I've had two of these, and auto and the manual. Both have squeaks and rattles in the same places, and from new and almost new. Plasticky interior, peaky power delivery, lazy throttle response? Wow

Excellent, Reliable, Economical Vehicle
By nicest2 on 01/12/14 06:43 AM (PST)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2008 Scion XB with 48000 miles in 3/2009 and have put 195000 miles on it in just under 5 years. I have not had any problems with this car and it is still driving like new. The key to this longevity is to keep up on the maintenance and to take care of the car. I drive over 50000 highway miles per year and get an average of 25 to 28 mpg. Good job XB.

Don't Let the "Toaster" Deceive You
By cmoriarty7 on 11/04/13 16:16 PM (PST)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

As someone who is 6'4", I'm astounded by having 4 inches of clearance over my head when I sit in the car. At the same time, I loved having plenty of leg room in the rear even with the front seats all the way back.The trunk has held up to 4 sets of golf clubs as well. You can't go wrong with the city MPG constantly between 25-27 and the highway between 28-30. The Toyota turning radius and engine is a joy and the engine has enough pep that sub-160 HP feel like a lot more. The acceleration capability is hard to comprehend with the thought of it being a box. I never had a vital part come close to failing after 60K miles. The car also handled in a way that tire wear was incredibly slow.

Fun, Reliable Vehicle
By summamum on 06/22/13 14:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am an original owner of an '08 XB which now has 58k miles; I have been satisfied with Toyota quality as I have driven them since 1980. I don't expect luxury, just practicality and affordability. With the XB I have gotten both. I can't expect this vehicle, or any other, to be forever free of mechanical problems since every car will eventually be in need of repairs. Thus far, I've only had to repair shaky brakes due to warped rooters [?] and Scion did require a recall for a faulty power window button, which was covered by the warranty. I am satisfied with this XB and I would purchase one again and recommend one. It is stylish and fun to drive. I can always depend on Toyota.

Solid as a rock...
By kenwid1988 on 12/24/12 08:32 AM (PST)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My mother bought the Scion XB brand new in Nov. 2007. It was a random choice I admit. She wanted me to test drive it before she bought it. I thought it would be sluggish, BOY WAS I WRONG! This car has pep in it's step. Drives better than a V6, I think. 99% of new cars nowadays feels like a temporary car. The quality of the XB feels like 10+ years of ownership. The drive and flow feel tight and sturdy. People giving it crap for its drive needs to STHU. This car is under $20K, what do you expect? Interior room is shockingly roomy. I don't like all the crap my mom put on it. I would have liked it as the base model.

engine stopped
By boo21 on 08/12/12 18:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

on a major highway the engine stopped. had to get towed. mechanic is now looking for a used replacement engine. car has abouy 88,000 miles. i will never buy a toyoya product again.

From an ex GM-FORD-PONTIAC-CADILLAC Owner...
By momofx on 07/06/12 09:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Coming from someone who owned big luxury SUVs, I must say the XB is worth the money. I have never had any issue with mine and since switching from a big 6L V8, I have taken more roadtrips in the past year than in the previous 5 years of just having a gas guzzling V8. The amount of room the XB has is amazing. I am 6ft4 and I can VERY comfortably drive it. My buddy who is about 6ft but alot bigger guy was totally shocked how comfortable he was in the passenger side! Also alot of people dont know that these have the award winning Camry engine in it. Being an auto technician, ANY vehicle needs its usual maintenance people so dont think its gonna run forever with just gas cos its Toyota!

Not Reliable As Advertised
By steve_cabral on 04/14/12 16:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car since 2008 (only owner). I took care of it and had all service done. As of April 14, the car had 47,760 miles. On April 12, I was leaving Publix after stopping there to pick up a few items. The started like it normally does, but the steering wheel would not turn like it normally did. I looked at the dashboard and noticed a strange indicator. I looked in the owner manual and it said to take car immediately to dealership. I found out that it was something called an ECU (some sort of computer device) that is going to cost about $1,100 to repair. How is it possible to be charged so much with not even 5 years of ownership. Sad.

Less Impressed than I'd Hoped to Be
By callisto9 on 02/21/12 08:05 AM (PST)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 2011 with just under 50K. I researched this car for about a year before buying, so I knew what I was getting. Been less than impressed during the past year of ownership. I wanted so badly to like this car, but the little things are added up to an unpleasant driving experience. If I could go back and do this all over again, I'd likely have gotten a different car, or an automatic.

Definately worth the money
By jusbuyxb on 09/16/11 10:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Because I have had some experience with Toyotas, I went with the XB. For a toaster on wheels it is not that bad. The 08 has the rounded corners, didnt like the square styling. I heard some issues about heavy oil consumption. What I do is put a honey oil additive in the engine to prevent a lot of these problems. At 70K, still running like a champ. I think most people dont think about the additives to the tranny and eng which definitely make the difference. My wife loves it and coming off an American car binge my whole life, I dont mind the plasticky feel of the Scion. My wife had a PT Cruiser, or should I say PT Loser @19MPG average and now is happy with the XB @24MPG.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.