2006 Scion xB Consumer Reviews 7

2006 Scion Xb - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

2006 xB Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great ride
By john reed

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I added undercoating, cold air intake, cat back exhaust, driving lights, euro style rear lights, and this vehicle is now quieter, peppier, gets improved mpg, which adds much to a fun to drive machine, in my opinion. It is a little under powered, but I bought it not to be a race car but a good looking, fun to drive and different looking vehicle. I also added graphics on the sides which gave it a dramatically neater look. I have been very pleased and will probably hold onto this one for many years because it is so much fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Chair height seating and excellent view from the front and sides.

Suggested Improvements

More power and front arm rests.

My Scion
By Brenda Pappas

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it because of the Toyota name, the cargo space, gas mileage around town and the "green" engine. Price and warranty were great. It has performed well, has great pick up and drives and parks easily. I can haul my dogs or my gardening equipment and plants in it easily. Only two complaints... change the location of the cup holder and try to smooth out the ride some.

Favorite Features

Cargo space, sound system, steeling wheel controls, large leg room in back and front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Location of cup holder. Bumpy ride. Would like side curtain airbags for drivers safety.

Still needs some work
By karmabad

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have to be honest, you cannot beat the price, and it's made by Toyota! You will not believe the amount of space this thing has, not to mention an amazing panoramic style windshield.

Favorite Features

Spacious interior, great gas mileage, cool looking dash, leather interior (optional).

Suggested Improvements

More horse power, and needs cruise control as a standard feature.

Toys
By stephen

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the box just before Christmas '05, have 35k on it as of Apr '07. Had the dealership add carpet, arm rest, bumper tread, and cruise when new, purchased tires and rims from Tire Rack when I got it home. Added rear cargo light, hitch, side window visors, and map lights soon after. Been a great vehicle, averaging 32 mpg mixed driving, 34 hwy empty at 75 mph, and 27 or so hwy pulling a trailer with my motorcycle of jet-ski. My parents liked it so much they bought one as well.

Favorite Features

Love the seating, roomiest car for 4 adults you can buy for less than $30k. Great fun to toss into curves, it really holds the road well.

Suggested Improvements

Cargo light, way too dark back there. Mixed driving on the highway the ride is stiff to the point of being jarring, am planning on going down to the Echo's 14' rims and tires. Could use a little longer seat front to rear, my knees are past the end of the seat which causes leg strain.

Pros and cons of Scion xB
By cool car

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I first saw the Scion xB I thought it was a cheap and not that good looking of a car. Then the guy at the dealer told me not to put down the car untill you drive it, so I did and ended driving it home. I have been driving my Scion for four mounths and now I love it. It offers plenty of space, a good stereo system and the comfort of higher priced cars. I also love the fact that you can customize the car to however you want it. This car has been a good investment for me.

Favorite Features

The room, the stereo and the reliability of a Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

The car needs a turbo or a supercharger, just something to increase power. The body of the car needs to be built stronger and not dent so easily.

My xB
By Mary

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall, I have had no buyer's remorse after purchasing this car. It's truly an engineering marvel considering how small it looks from the outside in comparison to how big it is on the inside. The exterior had to grow on me for awhile before purchasing it, but after seeing the inside I was sold. Buyers beware: if you are expecting some high performance, high-end vehicle, you should not purchase this car. The small 4-cylinder engine does have trouble in passing and uphill situations. The interior is basic, yet very functional. So far I have not yet achieved the estimated gas mileage (about 28 mpg in mixed city and highway driving).

Favorite Features

The steering wheel radio controls, massive interior space despite the small exterior, good gas mileage, Toyota reliability, good visibility (many flat windows), SUV-like feel when driving, folding back seats, and the grocery bag holders attached to the back of the front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Make the windshield less up-right, that way it's not a bug/rock magnet. Replace the paper thin carpet with a more plush carpet. Make a center console standard. Put the Corolla engine in the car, it's bigger and gets the same or better gas mileage.

Best Thing built since the "WHEEL"
By NEHC

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a Scion xB, from Toyota. I bought it new and it now has 900 miles on it, but I can see why "You love it, or hate it, no gray area." It is perfect for their wrong target area, 62 year-olds, they aimed 18-40 year-olds. I'd buy another in a heart beat if I could. Buy the pre-2008 model they will be instant classics. They changed the style. If I had room and the money I'd get one in every color and series. Its Performance would be a 10 if it went 0-60 mph in the 4 second range, just missed :-)

Favorite Features

The ease of entry and exit, the seats, controls, and how the transmission shifts so smoothly you have to listen or feel for it or you'd miss it. I love the interior room. I could go camping for three months easily. It has great resale value, a used 2004 model with 26,000 miles sold for $1,268 more than mine.

Suggested Improvements

Light the floor and knee area on the driver;s side. Put the light further forward. Add a second light over rear seat. That's it. Buy one and you'll never regret it.

Unique and Eclectic, Great for the City...
By The_Box

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my xB because I was attracted to its unique shape, efficiency, interior space, and low price. I bought it with the full intention of customizing it a bit to express my personal style. After a year of ownership my xB has served me well without a single hiccup. It delivers excellent gas mileage when its warm-around 32 mpg, however falls to a dismal 25/26 mpg when it's cold out. I love the xB's funk factor and unique shape. The kids especially love it; once at a drive-in, a little boy called it a little limo. However, the xB suffers from lackluster materials, and is certainly not meant for highway driving. At high speeds (75+) the xB's engine is overwhelmed @ 3700 RMP and starts to suck gas.

Favorite Features

I love the funk factor of the exterior. It is totally unique and very un-American. The cubic shape allows for the transportation of large objects with ease. Its fuel economy is good in the city. It has lots of space in the rear. It is well support by the aftermarket community. I love its low cost, novelty, uniqueness, character, value, etc...

Suggested Improvements

The small Toyota engine is very peppy in the city but falls totally out of place on the highway. It is underpowered and tired. Plus on the highway xB sucks gas like you wouldn't imagine a 1.5L engine could, at 80 mph its mpg is only 27-28. The seat fabric is poor quality, the thin paint chips very easy, and the windshield notorious for chips due to its angle.

The Best
By Jan Machado

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research before I bought this car, and I have no regrets! I bought the 5-speed manual. We live in snow country and it handles like a dream with studded tires. There is a ton of room inside. I like the look of the car. I have averaged 32 mpg from the start. The only thing I missed was a center arm rest but hey, with the over all quality and gas mileage that's not a biggie. Yes I know I can buy a center arm rest, but thought it a bit pricey. I had a PT Cruiser for many years, and did not give it a second thought when I drove away in my xB. I don't feel this car lacks power but then, I don't feel the need to drive at 70 mph, 55 mph is just fine.

Favorite Features

The look ( I own a "Flintstone" car). I love the room inside, how it's so dependable, reliable, handles great in the snow ( 4 studded tires), the remote entry, how it is so low to the ground and corners well. It is stable in the corners. It does NOT look cheap inside AND the doors don't sound like tin when I shut them. I also like the back wiper.

Suggested Improvements

How about a center console that comes with the car? Oh, the key ignition kind of looks cheap. It is flat, dull, and not very nice looking.

2006 xB
By rhagy

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car runs great, is fun to drive and is pretty cool! The 18" Alloy wheels look great, but the ride is pretty hard. Next time I'll go for the 15" alloy wheels. All around, I would buy another one tomorrow! The car is a blast! It could use a little more power, but it's OK the way it is.

Favorite Features

The radio/ CD player, looks and the alloy wheels look great!

Suggested Improvements

The straight back seats could use a little help and move the floor shifter back a little. It has a tendency to rub your knee.