Meets or exceeds all expectations
By rutabaga on
2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)
I wanted a commuter car and got the xB. It had 20k on it when I bought it. I've put 60k on it. Had a salvage title. It does everything I wanted it to and more. I'm not too diligent about maintenance but it's still rock-solid reliable. Spacious cabin room and very easy for the 3 kids to get in and out of. Not perfect, but just fine driving the occasional 200 mile trip to visit family. Consistently gets 30mpg *in town.* Here are some shortcomings to be aware of, although I don't hold them against the car AT ALL: weak on power; small cargo space in back; stock sound not very good; jeez, I really can't think of anything else. GREAT car. FYI, I'm 6'5", 210lbs and fit just fine in it.
By 2toasters
on 12/25/13 09:05 AM (PST)

My wife and I have two of these "Toasters" and I can't imagine being without one. We both have hobbies which require plenty of carrying-space and economy. The "1st Generation xB" has no equal. The next version of the xB is another matter!

By rutabaga
on 01/06/14 01:28 AM (PST)

Agreed. It has all the look of being just a novelty car, but it's practical beyond anything I would have imagined. I bought another, newer, more refined car with the intention of selling this xB, but when the time came to advertise the sale, I couldn't do it. And I have to say that part of the reason is a kind of sentimental attachment to the car! It's just so reliable--not only in the sense that it never leaves me stranded or that it only requires minimal repair and maintenance--but that it just does every single thing it was designed to do exactly the way it's supposed to. I intend to split time between this car and my new purchase, then hand this one off to my oldest when he can drive. I feel a bit guilty about only rating it 4 stars for comfort. It should be 5. I was considering road noise as a factor, but on reflection, I have to say that the ease of entry and exit, and the high seat position (which is kind of surprising based on how the car looks from the outside), along with nice thigh support and a hugging backrest, the car is quite comfortable to drive.