2005 Scion xB - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:
Love My Black Box
By Box Lover on 03/30/09 21:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am absolutely in LOVE with this car. I find myself making excuses to drive it. I still find myself looking back and smiling at my black box as I am walking away from it. It is fun to drive and with my extremely enthusiastic driving style, I still get about 28-30 MPG with mostly highway driving. The stock Pioneer sound system is awesome. Also, the huge side mirrors make changing lanes easy. The interior is extremely spacious and airy, so much so that I feel slightly claustrophobic when I get in normal cars. My only major gripe with this car is the small fuel tank. I find myself visiting the gas station 2x a week when with my prior car ('97 Honda Accord) once was plenty.

My Box
By mwj12487 on 03/01/09 17:11 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I financed this car with less than 23k miles on it, and so far have about 54k on it. In that time I haven't had to replace anything but a blown tire and a headlight bulb. Scion, although marketed towards those of us in the younger generations, I find to be majorly consumed by those of you in your early to late 50's. The Toyota reliability is completely apparent. If you are searching for a great commuter car that slowly sips on the gas, the Scion xB might just be your heaven-sent. If you are looking for a speed-demon, a luxury soaked dream cruise, look someplace else. Although I adore my "foxy box", it doesn't ever trick you into believing it's anywhere above an economy car.

Miss Foxy is a class act!
By AnnieC on 02/16/09 15:12 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I never wanted a new car. Had my Honda since 1980 (25 yrs),unfortunately, had a serious accident in 2005 and could no longer find parts for the old girl. Reluctantly, I brought Ms. Foxy home and it's been a love affair ever since. Here we are 4 yrs later and I wouldn't trade her for the world. Definitely the last car I will ever own...I hope..

Still Loving It
By Babs on 01/25/09 21:08 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 05 xB in 05, and I have liked the square style, and the speedometer on the dashboard. I bought it because of that and the gas mileage. I get 300 miles to a tank, and there is lots of room inside. I wasn't happy when they changed the style of the xB. I put loads of miles on my car each year, and it has been very dependable. I hit someone who pulled out in front of me on a side street, and was surprised how little damage there was to my front bumper. The only thing I would change is the tire size.

2005 Blue Scion xB
By AutoBat on 12/15/08 16:53 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my xB for several years now. I got my car with alloy wheels, arm rest and cruise control installed. I consistently get 30mpg in either city or highway. I still love the looks of it, I replaced the grill with billet aluminum and the rear lights with LEDs after I got rearended once (new tailgate as well). The car is reliable as can be (it's a Toyota afterall). Even after the new (ugly) xB's came out I still get comments on how cool (or ugly) my car is. If I had the means, I would get another, but with a manual transmission. I have had to have 2 large chips filled in from errant rocks at about $20 each.

Love car, hate front seats
By julie on 07/31/08 11:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car 1 month ago. Former car Toyota tercel 4wdr which I loved but it got rear-ended. Love the look & mileage. Have a stick and do not have any power problems. Daughter and friends love all the room in the back. 1 BIG COMPLAINT: My husband & I both have backaches after riding more than 1 hr in either front seat (we are 5'6" and 5'10"). Nobody else has written about this and it worries us. Any suggestions?

2 xB family
By Kayaker on 06/24/08 06:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my '05 xB in 2006 and love it. Can carry anything, even a kayak! (Bungeed the back shut about 6") I have since added a roof rack to hold both my husband's and my kayaks and still get 36-38 miles per gallon with an empty roof rack. Last year my husband's Camry was totaled and he was lucky enough to find a used "05 xB. His had 30,000 miles on it and is still like new. We live in NH and had record breaking snow last year. We did have snow tires, but could go anywhere. Never had a car this good in the snow! Both boxes are standard transmissions, very easy and fun to drive. Can't imagine driving anything else. We plan on keeping these boxes forever.

Fantastic little gem
By Love this baby on 05/30/08 15:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I cannot believe I found a used XB. We had looked for the last several years at the local car shows and fell in love with the XB. We were ready to buy a new one this year. We did not like the new design because it has really cut the gas mileage with the improvements. These cars never show up used here. No one wants to part with them. We got a great deal on a 2005 with only 40,000 plus on it. It is silver with a cute red thunder bolt along the sides & air scoop on the back. We love the room the handling and the gas mileage. We had cruise added it really enhances the over the road mileage. We are nearing 60 and enjoy the nice firm seats. Great for us and so much fun to drive.

Boxes can be fun
By BoXedUP on 05/20/08 07:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with my box (aka XB) when I first saw it. It was unlike anything else on the market at that time or really since then. I bought it for three main reasons. 1) I loved the way it looked. 2) I loved the mileage it was reported to get. And 3) It was more customizable and had more personality than any vehicle I had ever encountered. Now three years and almost 40,000 miles later I still catch myself with a smile on my face as I drive down the interstate to work. I have owned many cars in the past but never one that I have truly loved. This year I am considering on trading in my Box. What will I replace it with? The next generation XB. I love this car and the Scion experience.

my BOXkar
By Pennie on 04/18/08 19:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had my car 3 yrs now and I still love it. Will be driving more now that I'm retired. Great gas mileage. Do wish it heated up faster. Took over W VA mountains, made them all, just keep the medal to the pedal. I have allowed three strangers (older individuals) who ask about car to sit in it. They were impressed about the ease of getting in and out. Two I saw another time at store and they told me the did indeed buy a Scion xB, on man traded his cat for one. Told me he laugh every time his fills up his xB and takes money to back. I'll never own another car except for the Scions.