Used 2005 Scion xB Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion xB Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

250,000 miles and still going.
By bigtbronco951

2005 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 05 xb used toward the end of 05 with 23,000 miles on it. Mine is the bright yellow release series. Since i`ve owned it i have driven the crap out of it! Taken it to Las Vegas countless number of times and on several oyher road trips since 05 and it has never let me down. Car averages around 31 mpg hwy so long as i put super in it. Have done a few aftermarket upgrades to it and by far the best one was the Magnaflow exhaust system.Woke the little box up like you would not beleive! As far as reliability...awesome! still on the original clutch. Change oil regularly. gonna try and see if it`ll go 500,000 with no major work.

Super reliable,great gas mileage,fun little car.

Definitly put an exhaust (aftermarket) system on it( i went for the Mgnaflow system) and keep with a 15" tire on it.I went from an 18" wheel back to the 15 and it drove alot better.

Disappointed
By TVkid

2005 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Loved this car from the moment I saw it. Convinced my wife to get it for our small business as a delivery vehicle. The "toaster" sees a lot of miles, but gets regular service and is only driven by me. Rarely gets better than 29 miles per gallon. Had to replace all four rims and tires - $800 - because of cracks in the rims. Lost the transmission at 89,000 miles. Small back side light managed to vibrate loose and fall out - $175 to replace. Now AC compressor is going out. The Camry we used as a trade-in was much more reliable.

Body styling gets lots of looks and comments, pretty good when your business name is on the side. Lots of room for people or delivery items. I can get three concert tubas with cases in the back seat.

Too much wind noise. Front seats are not very comfortable on longer trips. 15-inch rims are expensive to replace. Small gas tank. Interior lights do not provide much illumination. Lower body panels are pulling loose. Stock stereo okay at best. Instrument panel does not display enough information.

2005 SCION XB
By 05XBINSC

2005 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my XB new in 2005 because I got tired of working on my previous car a Ford/Mazda Probe GT. Big change in terms of power and handling but I adjusted fairly easy. I find myself driving the XB HARD so I can't really complain about 28MPG, that being said, after 58K miles I have had not one single mechanical problem! I had a small chip in the windshield in the first month, used a "repair kit" and did not have to replace that until Jan of 2009. Getting ready to replace my 2nd set of tires. Lots of interior room, poor interior lighting, good seating position, good (not great) stereo. Buzzy on the highway, could use an extra gear, or "taller" 5th. Great value for the money! Paid 13,750.

CABLE throttle, not drive by wire, NO RECALL issues stuck throttle etc. Can move big items with seats folded. High seating position, plays MP3 disks, traction control, VCS, and Brake Assist, ABS I especially like getting a reaction from those safety systems (remember I drive the car HARD!)

Gearing-Buzzy at speed, search for a TSB "Technical Service Bulletin" on the A/C, if a customer complains about so-so A/C performance in a hot climate, they will fix it under warranty. Improve Communication! I had $2000 of parts replaced, for NC, I told the dealer I was warm! My tools miss me!BREAK!

1 happy box owner
By happy boxman

2005 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned this 2005 for about 4years and absolutely love it . Our XB is probably the best built vehicle we've ever owned . Although probably not the most comfortable , esp for back seat passengers . Gas mileage is awesome , highway mileage aves 34 to 35mpg. Other than tires and oil changes its only been to Toyota service 1 time . (good exp ) It looks really small from the outside , but it is large enough to pack 4 good size people and a full load of luggage for a trip to DisneyWorld . Like i sad 35mpg. Good job Toyota Scion. Pretty much maintenance free. Great vehicle summer or winter. weve never once been stuck on snow covered roads

Traction Control ,great stereo , great driver visibilty

better interior lighting, only 1 dome light

Super Cool
By Jim

2005 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my xB in late December 2004. Needed a vehicle that I could carry my disabled Sweetheart and be able to get her in and out without trouble. Told the salesguy if I could get the wheelchair in the luggage area, I would buy it and buy it we did. Has just over 23000 miles and couldn't ask for a better vehicle. Lots of power and energy, great mileage, and enough room for my 6'8" 300 lb son to drive with comfort. Installed luggage rack and aluminum alloy wheels from internet. Never used a drop of oil and no maintenance problems whatsoever. Best car I ever owned, and I've always driven sports/small cars (Triumph Spitfire, Opel Mimi-Corvette, Suzuki Samurai) and this one is the best.

Room/leg room. Comfort while driving. Peppy 1.5 liter 4-banger engine...great gas mileage. Field of view is fantastic.

Subdue the road noise and everything would be perfect.