2005 Scion xB - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:
Best value for the $ hands down!
By jonbreeze on 02/07/14 09:55 AM (PST)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My scion was just totaled after 8 years of ownership. I loved it so much I felt I needed to review it for others to know. I bought it as a salvage in 06 with 16k miles on it and I put 170k miles on it. I did do some routine maintenance but it wasn't super consistent and definitely not on time. I never had a single mechanical problem with it other than replacing some simple belts once. After a few years of ownership I crashed it and had to replace my good, front fenders, front bumper, radiator, and some wiring and even after it ran flawlessly. Im a younger guy and drove it pretty hard and took it On long trips with lots of luggage and it performed great! Minor cosmetic flaws but great value!!

Meets or exceeds all expectations
By rutabaga on 08/29/13 10:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I wanted a commuter car and got the xB. It had 20k on it when I bought it. I've put 60k on it. Had a salvage title. It does everything I wanted it to and more. I'm not too diligent about maintenance but it's still rock-solid reliable. Spacious cabin room and very easy for the 3 kids to get in and out of. Not perfect, but just fine driving the occasional 200 mile trip to visit family. Consistently gets 30mpg *in town.* Here are some shortcomings to be aware of, although I don't hold them against the car AT ALL: weak on power; small cargo space in back; stock sound not very good; jeez, I really can't think of anything else. GREAT car. FYI, I'm 6'5", 210lbs and fit just fine in it.

250,000 miles and still going.
By bigtbronco951 on 05/28/12 19:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 05 xb used toward the end of 05 with 23,000 miles on it. Mine is the bright yellow release series. Since i`ve owned it i have driven the crap out of it! Taken it to Las Vegas countless number of times and on several oyher road trips since 05 and it has never let me down. Car averages around 31 mpg hwy so long as i put super in it. Have done a few aftermarket upgrades to it and by far the best one was the Magnaflow exhaust system.Woke the little box up like you would not beleive! As far as reliability...awesome! still on the original clutch. Change oil regularly. gonna try and see if it`ll go 500,000 with no major work.

cool car
By busdriver8 on 04/16/12 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i purchased my 05 about a month ago. camaflage green cool color. i also own a civic hybrid but there was no trunk space for my wifes wheel chair so i went looking for a good used car for around $8000. there was the xB@ my local toyota. 37850 on the clock no dents dings just 1 small scratch. paid a little more but not only do i ave 36mpg plentu of room for the kids wheelchair but my leg and head room is superior. nice for a budget car. the only thing i miss is cruise control but hey cant have everything. and mommas happy with it. and if mommas happy we are all happy.

Awesome Car, with alot of Room and good MPG!
By johnmolanii on 12/26/11 19:40 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have a 2005 xB and i'm a easy driver. Get around 33 MPG city/highway mix. It doesn't have alot of Horsepower but it gets me from point a to point xB ;-)

2005 xB
By 2toasters on 06/20/11 10:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife bought a used 2005 xB and we liked it so much that I bought an identical (except color) one for myself. We are both older and drive accordingly, so we get about 33MPG in city and 37+ on Hwy. Both xB's have about 50k miles on them and we love them. The 1500cc engines pay off. We would not buy the newer, larger xB's because of their economy and looks. A big mistake on Toyota's part, we think. A typical comment: "this back seat is like a Lincoln Town Car". We will definitely keep these cars and repair them for as long as possible. This may be the car for you, too?

Solid car with lots of room
By jkm on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this car used. It's very solid and basic, much like the imports of the 70s and 80s. For a car with such little power, it's surprisingly fun to drive. The interior room is simply amazing. It's like a theater with 6 screens. The car seems to grow magically when you get in. I always tell friends that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. Driving position is comfortable but you have to get used to the position of the gauges. The engine is peppy and fun to rev on city streets but merging on the interstate can be a challenge. This is allot of car for the money. I've found that it's several thousand less than a comparable Honda Element, Fit, or Toyota Matrix.

Disappointed
By TVkid on 08/29/10 20:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Loved this car from the moment I saw it. Convinced my wife to get it for our small business as a delivery vehicle. The "toaster" sees a lot of miles, but gets regular service and is only driven by me. Rarely gets better than 29 miles per gallon. Had to replace all four rims and tires - $800 - because of cracks in the rims. Lost the transmission at 89,000 miles. Small back side light managed to vibrate loose and fall out - $175 to replace. Now AC compressor is going out. The Camry we used as a trade-in was much more reliable.

The best of the rest!
By Charly on 06/16/10 14:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ours is a Rel 2.0 Series w/ground effects factory package. (Yellow only) and is loaded with all factory options Pioneer Stereo + dark window tint + white wheel covers + cruise. We average 32 MPG overall and see 35 on trips. We have installed a front stabilizer bar and turbo K&N intake. It handles like a sports car but insures like a wagon.

Cheap but reliable.
By Sean on 06/09/10 08:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for two years. The a/c stopped working, and it turned out something in the a/c pipes burst, and sent shards of metal all through the system, and it was going to cost around $800 to fix. My rear trunk panel cracked off, the interior feels cheap and "plastic-y". It's very simple, not much too it. No bells and whistles here. While it isn't extremely powerful or fast, I always had a good time driving it, and it never once broke down on me.