2004 Scion xB Consumer Review: Over 40? Easy Entry, Easy Exit

2004 Scion xB - Consumer Review

Over 40? Easy Entry, Easy Exit
By Smitty on

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Thundercloud Blue Metallic 'B' was the first one ordered and delivered to the MIDWEST via Molle Toyota, KC, Mo. Ordered it with AEM, H-strut, security system, amber footlights, and chrome doorsills. I added an armrest this past year, it wasn't available in 2003. It gets between 29 (summer heat) and 36 MPG. I only drive 5 miles to work, but it will double next year to 10. I use it weekends for short trips, chores, jaunts under 200 miles; drive it roundtrip once a month to St. Joe MO. My wife loves it - after I got the armrest. I expect to drive it as a commuter until I retire next decade... unless a better 'B' comes along! My only problem with it was a broken driver's door latch, which was fixed under warranty.

The remote security / locks, 4 electric windows, easy-check fluids, and how it sits high but not like an SUV or truck. I recommend getting one with the black interior, the same way I outfitted mine, since at night you need to see the floor (amber). I expect to get 175,000 miles on the engine due to AEM cold-air induction.

108 horsepower gets you to 60 mph in about 13 seconds with the full 850 lb. load, but I wouldn't drive the 'B' cross-country without stopping every 200 miles. There is too jolting in its ride for more than three hours straight. The B's for intra-suburban hopping, not coast- to-coast driving. Add side airbags for the rear?