Used 2004 Scion xB Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Scion Xb - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Most Helpful|
Great car-or is it a truck?
By Patrick

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fun car to drive and a great utility vehicle to carry anything that can be loaded through the huge back and side doors.

Favorite Features

large interior. large cargo space with seats down and huge doors that make it easy to load anything.

Suggested Improvements

Hubcaps hit curbs rather than tires

Unbelievable
By mark qualls

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my xB knowing it lacked brute horsepower, but have not yet been in a situation where I needed it. It seems to have enough power and I can't believe the high speed cornering this car is capable of. It handles like a sports car, a good one. I'm going to buy another new car soon and it will be eityher a Corvette or an xB, probably the xB because "I can afford it".

Suggested Improvements

Give it more power.

The ultimate city car
By Max

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car I've ever owned. Low maintenance and very simple in it's layouts, technical features and style. I bough it in the sates cuz you can't buy them in Canada, and it had 80K mil on the meter and I noticed that the engine had been over worked by the looks of it but still it has excellent go and acceleration. If you live in a big city with narrow streets and don't drive on the high way or the freeway allot nothing over 120 km...um 70 mph I think, then this car will be perfect even as a family car but if you commute to work and drive allot on the highway then this car is not for you.

Favorite Features

Very roomy, the gauges and the rest of the operation panel is simple and stylish and it works excellent. Very good factory sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Bad on Highways, though that is not an improvement.

I still love it!
By GoldenOtter

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car the first time I sat in it. The placement of the instruments, the amazing interior room, the outstanding visibility is great. I am 6'7" and have 6" head clearance as the driver and my 6'9" son can sit behind me without having his knees in my back or his head on the ceiling. I've been in quite a few different SUVs, and NONE have had as much room for 5 adults as the xB. My only gripe is the steering wheel does impinge on the leg room a bit, but that happens with virtually every car I've driven except large luxury cars. It handles well, and has a great feel for the road, though can be a bit of a rough ride if you are used to luxury rides. The storage space is minimal.

Favorite Features

There are many, but the great visibility, sensible, but unusual instrument display and headroom are probably the top 3. Love the 30 mpg as well.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest suggestion is to go back to the original design. the new ones seem to have lost some of the best features, though the storage room is improved.

Form Follows Function
By perling

2004 Scion xB Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you want is a cheap, extremely reliable four door with way more space than you'd first notice, this is it. If you want comfort and power, go elsewhere. If you don't expect more than you should from this true Econo-Box, than you'll actually find the Xb a joy to own. It's actually fun to drive and does well with it's limited HP (tho an automatic with the air on must be a drag). It's extremely roomy inside, and easy to get into for older folks, and it'll haul lots of junk. Top that off w/30+ mpg and rock solid reliability and cheap to maintain prices and it's perfect for those who like it's frugal design nature.

Favorite Features

Interior size, mpg, ease of ingress/egress, fun unique looks, massive hauling space.

Suggested Improvements

This is not an over-stuffed chair. If you want comfort, buy something with more padding. I'm sure for some who never drive much beyond their hood, the power will be lacking, tho the little 1.5 ltr 4-cylinder will pull plenty hard to 6,000 rpm when asked to. My only wish is that these early Xb's had come stock, or factory optioned with cruise control. Ride and sound levels on freeways will be a bit harsh for some.