2004 Scion xB Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Scion Xb - Consumer Reviews

2004 xB Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Sort Reviews by

Still getting the stare.
By Brian Bubonic

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

A few months into owning the car and I still have to answer the usual questions about it (ie: Who makes this? Is it a hybrid? Why did you buy such an ugly car?...) It's a fun ride and offers lots of space for passengers. I was in a minor accident a few weeks after buying the car and was surprised at how quickly parts were available for such a new model.

Favorite Features

Space & comfort, good standard stereo system, no-haggle buying (ok very little), good fuel economy, zen dashboard...

Suggested Improvements

Arm rests up front, more glovebox space, vanity mirror for passenger, storage on back of front seats.

The perfect city car!
By civicguy

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was looking for a replacement for my Honda Civic that would be as fun to drive and reliable, but with more utility. After Toyota announced in 2002 that they would start selling the Toyota bB (as it's called in Japan) in California this year, my decision was pretty much made! For my review see favorite features and suggested improvements below...

Favorite Features

1. Distinctive styling like nothing else on the road, at the right price! 2. HUGE inside, tiny outside. 3. Good handling and brakes. 4. Lexus-like fit and finish. 5. High seating position makes for easy entry/exit. 6. Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

1. Radio is ergonomic nightmare. 2. Driver and passenger armrests. 3. Better interior lighting, including dual lighted vanity mirrors. 4. Lighter/brighter exterior and interior colors. 5. Seat mounted side airbags, if not side curtain airbags.

very impressed
By mrlaker1

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i sell other makes of cars and i bought this one because of it's value. it's just a great car for the money

Favorite Features

i like the amount of room and the styling and all the standard features

Suggested Improvements

i agree that he a/c is weak. also they need to install armrests on the front seats and make cruise control an option

Too much fun...
By TBP

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have put almost 3,000 miles on this car and I still look forward to driving it around. I can't believe that such a tiny car feels so huge on the inside. Upon first seeing it, most of my friends didn't even know what it was and they were shocked to learn that was cheaper than the Civic I drove before my xB. Everyone agrees that it feels like a higher end vehicle.

Favorite Features

Personally, I love the boxy look of it and the room that provides on the inside. Not having to look around the steering wheel to see the instruments is TERRIFIC!

Suggested Improvements

I would like sun visors that extended the full width of the side windows and a light in the back luggage area.

love it so far
By andergtr

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

i picked up the xB as a second car. my main car is a 2002 BMW 325ci, but i drive 30K miles a year and have some big cargo requirements, too. so far it has been great, with one, hopefully isolated, exception, and that was when the car power-stalled on different occasions coming off the freeway. the problem was checked out by the dealer (no problems found) and has not occurred since. well, one more gripe...the gas mileage is nowhere near their claimed levels. i've been averaging 28 mpg on mixed city/highway driving.

Favorite Features

love the styling. the quality of features that you get for the price is what makes this car a no-brainer. what else are you going to get for $14K with toyota reliability and build quality?

Suggested Improvements

air conditioner works, but you have to run on full blast in the san fernando valley heat. gas mileage is not even close to 30 mpg in the city. mixed feelings about the whole scion dealer experience, mainly because you still end up dealing with toyota.

Xb!!!
By BigV

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

had it for almost two months and already put on over 3000 miles. love the attention it gets.

Favorite Features

blue lights

Suggested Improvements

swap the echos 1.5 110hp engine with metrixes 1.8 180hp engine and u got a speedbox.

In a Nutshell
By Cubism

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This unique looking vehicle is living up to, and surpassing the promotional advertising and sales pitches that I heard before I purchased it two weeks ago.The "Toyota" quality workmanship, and the interior design are both excellent values.The handling far exceeds my expectations, and boy! do I feel good stopped at a light next to a gas-guzzler SUV. YES, I care about the environment.This little fuel efficient cube fits my family of four to a T.

Favorite Features

Exterior size. Interior/luxurious amount of space. Handling on winding roads. Turning radius for parking. Gas mileage. Seating comfort. The smiling faces that turn to watch me zoom by.

Suggested Improvements

If you Scion execs are reading this, you MUST add: Cruise Control, Sun Roof, Roof Rack, Leather Seats, Better Interior Lighting, Wide Angle Rear-View Mirror, Car Phone Hook-ups, More Accessory Outlets, AS OPTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Fun car
By scionbeliever

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car!I'm a 27-year old female and i don't regret buying the car for a minute.It's good-looking, lots of interior space,and an incredible price.People have given me mixed reviews on what they think of it,but the nay-sayers are just set in their ways and afraid of anything new.The only bad thing about this car is my insurance is more expensive, because they're expecting 20-something unmarried males to be buying the car.Also, I would have liked to have the option of a sunroof.Otherwise, no complaints at all.

Favorite Features

I love the hatchback, the gas mileage, and the racecar-looking dash.Also the abundance of interior space.

Suggested Improvements

sunroof option

Scion xB
By Jeremy Hanna

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a quality vehicle.

Scion owner and fan
By bea golden

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

The drive is smooth and with very little outside noise. Price is reasonable and we loved the uniqueness of the car. Gas mileage is good, averages 23 miles per gallon combined city and highway.The seating is comfortable and we loved the placement of the gauges. The leg room and the head room is great for anyone.I have never owned a car that got as much attention as this has. I am repeatedly being stopped and asked what kind of car I have,who makes it,and most of the time they are leaning in to get a better look.

Favorite Features

Unique style, gas mileage Interior room and comfortable seats Gauge placement Light package

Suggested Improvements

More Horsepower Needs a telescoping steering wheel and cruise control option Bigger and better brakes