2004 Scion xB - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:
Form Follows Function
By perling on 07/11/11 06:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you want is a cheap, extremely reliable four door with way more space than you'd first notice, this is it. If you want comfort and power, go elsewhere. If you don't expect more than you should from this true Econo-Box, than you'll actually find the Xb a joy to own. It's actually fun to drive and does well with it's limited HP (tho an automatic with the air on must be a drag). It's extremely roomy inside, and easy to get into for older folks, and it'll haul lots of junk. Top that off w/30+ mpg and rock solid reliability and cheap to maintain prices and it's perfect for those who like it's frugal design nature.

211,083 miles and STILL RELIABLE !!!
By George on 05/10/10 12:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is an update on my previous review titled. 140K Upright Go-Kart Written by George on 06/14/2008. This lil'car with lots of interior room is still super reliable. I have replaced normal wear items like tires, power steering/water pump belt and front brake pads. I change the oil and oil filter every 5k, air filter every 6mo. and transmission gear oil every year. I suck out the power steering and brake fluid with a turkey baster and refill every year. The xB is pretty good in the snow with all season tires, however, it's super stable and near impossible to get stuck with snow tires.

I still love it!
By GoldenOtter on 01/05/09 17:32 PM (PST)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car the first time I sat in it. The placement of the instruments, the amazing interior room, the outstanding visibility is great. I am 6'7" and have 6" head clearance as the driver and my 6'9" son can sit behind me without having his knees in my back or his head on the ceiling. I've been in quite a few different SUVs, and NONE have had as much room for 5 adults as the xB. My only gripe is the steering wheel does impinge on the leg room a bit, but that happens with virtually every car I've driven except large luxury cars. It handles well, and has a great feel for the road, though can be a bit of a rough ride if you are used to luxury rides. The storage space is minimal.

140K Upright Go-Kart
By George on 06/14/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

140K and still tight! Handling is very nimble. Vehicle stability control works great in the snow when driving on snow and anybody spins out in front of you (or when deer shoot out from nowhere on dark rural wet roads like where I live. VSC compliments the ABS, EBD & TRAC control. The shape makes it look lower than what it actually is (measure it!). It has the same ground clearance as my Corolla). VERY good in snow I run all season tires all the way around and if the snow is substantial I'll lower the tire pressure on the front tires to 26lbs and it's super stable and tracks great. I'm impressed and I live in a very rural area with many hills (ski resort area in northern NJ).

Crash Worthy
By mustangsv on 05/08/08 00:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just totaled my XB (04/19/08) with a head-on crash with a Dodge Dakota P-up (airbags deployed). The drivers area was in perfect shape. The front end was crushed to the base of the windshield. Crumple zones worked as advertised. I walked away as did my 4 year old son who was strapped in his child seat in the back passenger side. I'm back in the market to buy another one(2004-2006). 2008 XB's look like they were designed by the Michelin Man...Yuck!

Just Crashed my 2004 Scion XB
By mustangsv on 05/01/08 18:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wrecked my 2004 XB 4/18/08. Front head-on crash with a midsize Dodge pick-up. Air bags popped. My XB is a right-off! Crumple zones worked as designed. There was no intrusion into the passenger area at all. I walked away with only seat belt marks and a bump on my right shin. My 4 year old son was in the back seat in his child seat and only had a shoulder belt mark and was okay. I'm a 41 year old commercial pilot and liked the styling (in Japan a lot) with a practical Corolla drive line. I'm looking for another 2004/05 XB ASAP.

The ultimate city car
By Max on 03/18/08 14:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car I've ever owned. Low maintenance and very simple in it's layouts, technical features and style. I bough it in the sates cuz you can't buy them in Canada, and it had 80K mil on the meter and I noticed that the engine had been over worked by the looks of it but still it has excellent go and acceleration. If you live in a big city with narrow streets and don't drive on the high way or the freeway allot nothing over 120 km...um 70 mph I think, then this car will be perfect even as a family car but if you commute to work and drive allot on the highway then this car is not for you.

Rough Drivers beware
By Ranstar on 02/18/08 08:23 AM (PST)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved it, then I hit a bump lightly , the curve lightly and snow bank not so lightly. Things seem to snap, crack and split on this car very easily. I am probably too aggressive of a driver but be aware that the grille, grates and bumpers are not strong or well secured. But what a great car for performance if you have the 5 speed manual. It is fun and fast. The head room and leg room are incredible. I am 6'3" and I fit in this car great. I have moved some many things inside this car, it's as good as van.

Fabulous 40,000 Miles So Far
By Charlie SJC on 01/26/07 18:33 PM (PST)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Scion xB has more head and leg room for four tall people than most SUVs. The gas mileage with the stick shift has improved from year to year. I never get less that 32 mpg now and sometimes get 35 mpg.

Pierre's xB
By Pierre on 11/29/06 09:03 AM (PST)

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive and turns heads in town. Although it is marketed to the young crowd it is a great car for people over 50 because it is very easy to get in and out. The legs room in the back is outstanding even for tall people. My father-in-law is 8' tall and he still has room before in knees. When the back seats are down the cargo volume is huge for a car this size.